The question about spears

vek

In the game, I very often use spears as weapons.
They are easily made of sticks or planks, of which there are a lot when cutting trees for construction. You can chop down trees with an axe, which is made of the same stick, a sharp stone that is easy to find and rags. And it is easy to make a spear from a stick and a board, for this you only need a stone knife, which is also made of sharp stone.
It turns out that the spear is a weapon in the game that does not require anything at all from a pre-apocalyptic civilization (not counting rags, but they are easily farmed from zombies).

Spears do not make sense to repair, because it is always easier and "cheaper" to make a new one.
And now the question is: You can attach a tip to an already made spear (knife, screwdriver, fork, etc.)
I can't notice how the characteristics of a spear with a tip change compared to a spear without a tip.

I found the answer to my question in the PZWiki article about spears.
https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Crafted_Spear
I understood why I could not notice the changes in strength and the damage caused. Usually they attached screwdrivers to the spears, but they do not give a serious increase. I have never attached a machete to spears, which gives the biggest increase.

Many thanks to the authors of PZWiki!

Thank you! I didn't know such a useful site existed! Finally, it became clear that the pickled vegetables in the jar in the game must be boiled in order for them to become canned and stored for a really long time! I didn't know this before. It also turns out that the strength of a barricade of four planks differs very little from the strength of a barricade of metal sheet (4000/5000). I thought that a metal barricade gave much more protection.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like you pointed out, I don't notice a big difference with tipped spears except the machete.  And like you I don't make tipped spears, but just loot them from the dead.  What I really do like about spears is the distance it always me to keep from zombies while walking backward.  

5 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

In next update there are going to be bigger changes to spears and almost all are nerfs.

The Spear weight in most cases is nearly doubled with serious endurance drain

So you will see almost a 40 - 60% performance loss in spears with metal tips.

If this is true, then I will be very surprised and upset.
Now the spear weighs 1.7 kg - this is quite consistent with the real weight of a wooden sharpened stick.
If the spear suddenly weighs 3.4 kg, it will be strange and unrealistic.

21 hours ago, vek said:

If this is true, then I will be very surprised and upset.
Now the spear weighs 1.7 kg - this is quite consistent with the real weight of a wooden sharpened stick.
If the spear suddenly weighs 3.4 kg, it will be strange and unrealistic.

Wodden Spear hasn't changed

Its spears with Metal Tips ( machette \ Knives \ Spoons \ etc ) weight has changed 

24 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

Wodden Spear hasn't changed

Its spears with Metal Tips ( machette \ Knives \ Spoons \ etc ) weight has changed 

I don't care about that.
Right now I only use simple wooden spears.

• 2 weeks later...

Spears are insanely OP atm so i would absolutely expect to see them nerfed.  You don't even need to put stuff on them because they are so easy to make you can have a nearly endless supply and just derp around until it breaks and grab the next one.  Once you advance your maintenance skill they last quite a while.  Also they get the 1 shot kill like a knife but with the advantage of extra range.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:18 AM, Pskov said:

Spears are insanely OP atm so i would absolutely expect to see them nerfed.  You don't even need to put stuff on them because they are so easy to make you can have a nearly endless supply and just derp around until it breaks and grab the next one.  Once you advance your maintenance skill they last quite a while.  Also they get the 1 shot kill like a knife but with the advantage of extra range.

100% agree. I play with zombies set to "tough" health and spears still reliably kill most of them in 1 hit because my character is strong. They are so good that I don't even use guns because those actually take a bunch of hits to kill. xD

23 minutes ago, Ridick said:

100% agree. I play with zombies set to "tough" health and spears still reliably kill most of them in 1 hit because my character is strong. They are so good that I don't even use guns because those actually take a bunch of hits to kill. xD

Yes, if you are playing with very high zombie health scores, firearms are ineffective. Too inefficient.

6 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

I think thats the issue - Metal tip spears should really get a big durability boost - would help a lot 

It would be logical to add not so much durability as the damage inflicted.

At the same time, damage from spears without tips can be weakened.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:18 AM, Pskov said:

Spears are insanely OP atm so i would absolutely expect to see them nerfed. 

As a player with less than 10hrs playtime I am dreading the day they're nerfed, they've kept me alive for this long and I'm not eager to rely on my "skill" as a zomb-slayer... because it is non-existent

11 hours ago, FrijjMagnet said:

As a player with less than 10hrs playtime I am dreading the day they're nerfed, they've kept me alive for this long and I'm not eager to rely on my "skill" as a zomb-slayer... because it is non-existent

Metal bars and lead pipes are your friends ;)

Archived