Gun zombies

WildLeek2

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I'd love to see this. If experienced shooters die and zombify while gripping a gun, they could hang on to the gun and that muscle memory from a lifetime of shooting should prompt them to try to shoot their target, even as a zombie.

Gun zombies:

-rare

-very poor accuracy

-low rate of fire

-mostly military and cops

-run out of ammo and aren't clever enough to reload

-can only pull trigger, can't pump shotguns or rack bolt rifles

-keep pulling trigger even after hitting empty

-shoot rifles from the hip and pistols one-handed while shambling towards player, all with very poor stance

-will bite/scratch if you're close enough

-will shoot other zombies if they're in the way

-players can turn into these if they have high aim skill and zombify while holding a gun

Reasons to add this:

-it's fun

-adds MUCH needed enemy variety while keeping it grounded, without those crazy mutant zombie ideas

-makes guns more useful as you don't need to close the distance to take them out

-makes the first aid skill more useful and more level-able as there's more ways to get hurt without infection risk

-makes the rare bullet injuries more common, an injury type that currently doesn't exist outside of multiplayer PVP servers

-makes the great loot in police stations and army bases better guarded, as these have a higher chance to spawn there

-adds more challenge to the game, I'm sure a lot of people here find regular shambling zombies too nonthreatening yet find sprinters too threatening, this is a nice compromise

-finally a proper use for my bullet-proof vests

-Bub approves

Edited by WildLeek2

That's... an interesting idea. They could be just doing the "hands reaching forward standard zombie pose" while holding onto their guns and basically shoot you like that.

Also, as you know, gunfire is basically a dinner bell right now, so it could come with the added risk of alerting every zed in the block.

Seems a bit of a reach. Most people (if not everyone) have the muscle memory to open a door but zombies in game still bash on the doors trying to get in.

This is the reason why they are working on adding living NPCs to the game who would actually have the motor skills and "brains"  to shoot the player. A shambling zombie shooting at me would absolutely break the immersion - even if its a hardcore army vet zombie. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this setting.