Pure Point-Buy System for Skills & Traits

Bullet_Magnate

I find the existing profession structure a little confining.  It would be nice if there was at least the option in character creation to just straight up buy skill levels and individual associated traits with points, rather than arbitrary pre-selected sets.  This would allow a LOT more flexibility and creativity. 

For example, if I wanted to create an out-of-shape retired big-city EMT who's got a lot of on-scene trauma aid experience, I could buy high-level First Aid skill, Desensitized, and Out of Shape.

Or if I wanted to create an active-duty service member who has a maintenance specialty and hasn't seen much combat, I could get Aiming / Reloading 1 or 2, Fit, and an appropriate technical skill (Carpentry, Mechanic, or Metalworking).  

Another advantage to this approach is that you wouldn't have to strain to come up with professions that are appropriate for mid or late game starts; you could just buy skills and traits that are appropriate to that point in time.  

12 hours ago, Pandorea said:

... but it is already possible to select a profession and add different traits from the trait pool? Am I misunderstanding something?

I think he means allocate points how they want to allocate - instead of having to choose traits like Gymnist \ Nimble \ etc that gives +1 to skills

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, ZombieHunter said:

I think he means allocate points how they want to allocate - instead of having to choose traits like Gymnist \ Nimble \ etc that gives +1 to skills

Spot on.  I'd like to be able to buy a specific level of skill (and higher skill levels, like 5-6), rather than just the pre-set skills associated with certain professions.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
fixing typo