[41.71][MP][/Save command didn't save]

Destroyer 3492

Version: 41.71
Multiplayer
Dedicated
Mods: Server mod (some minor display strings and extra admin panels)
Save version: 41.68
Reproduction steps:

I wanted to upgrade the slots on my dedicated server so i decided to use the /save command before shutting the server down.

When rebooting the server we noticed that changes to the map and containers have not been saved.
For example:

- A load of buckets that were placed on the floor by a player, these buckets are whitelisted to not despawn ever.

- Items that were moved around in containers in the last 20 minutes before the /save

Additional info:

The server is set to save the map every 30 minutes

Host is nitrado and haven't had complaints so far about save issues, since i use the host's automatic restart feature which seems to save the game before restarting

When i used the /save command it showed the spiffo popup that the game was being saved, when i stopped the server several minutes later i again got the spiffo popup saying that all played data was saved and shutdown safely.

Generally the commands to properly exit our of the game is the /save and then the /quit command. Both are necessary as forcefully quitting the game can have bad side effects, depending whether Nitrando just kills the server while running or if it runs these two commands would explain the issues.

To add to what Beard said: if you do not use Quit, Windows will terminate the thread prematurely and this can cause the file buffers in-game to output either garbage (if they're in C++ or zeros (if they're in Java). This can corrupt save files.

Do not trust the automatic restart or shutdown buttons to call /save and /quit unless the server host has verified that they send these commands to the server first. 

When the automatic restart kicks in i get the following on my screen:
image.png.7b00d183fe29adff50f96a0ea5f6bdae.png

So i'm assuming that they do that even tho someone said that they probably don't.

Are there any plans to add this kind of dailyrestarts in the server settings? This would be so helpful.

A lot of ppl struggling with these rcon because theres not a single noob proof guide for it, only bits and pieces.

PS: Whenever i use the quit command in-game, my server seems to reboot automatically, so its hard to tell when to actually stop the entire server from the hosts dashboard, is this linked to the quit command or actually an automatic response from the host?

Thanks for the reply

Edited by Zharek

Then it's at least calling /quit.

The reason we suggest calling /save first is that the process will terminate after a few seconds with quit, so it gives you a bit of lee-way to ensure the game saved. I'd assume they're not doing that, but are capable of doing it given that it calls quit.

To get the server to immediately restart after quitting would be due to the host. The default script just stops after it's shut down.

And no, for the moment automatic restarts aren't planned. It'd require writing a separate program to handle it vs. someone just using scripts or a third party utility. It can also be a fairly bad idea because if something goes wrong, the server could keep restarting and corrupt data as it does. That's not to say it definitely won't happen in the future, though, just that it's not too likely right now. 

Do we have any guides available in the community to set this up from the POV of someone who never used rcon/command line?

Currently i have setup the automatic restart messages in a lua file on my server mod, cause it was easier than all the half complete guides to set this up using rcon.

I've looked around for quite a bit, but nothing seems to provide guidance in setting this up from A to Z. Just bits and pieces