QoL: Holding shift and walking upto window should climb through

ZombieHunter

When players want to quickly move through the enviroment - it feels like a chore having to either Hold E or right click.

It would be nice if simply holding shift and facing the object it wlil auto climb similar to how games like Assassins creed \ Division \ etc work.

That way when players want to quickly escape from a dicey situation - they are able to 

Edited by ZombieHunter

• ZombieHunter changed the title to QoL: Holding shift and walking upto window should climb through
45 minutes ago, Axezombie said:

what if you just want to run in a building and by mistake you face a window? 

Most games solve it by adding a small Delay  

So it basically is  run into window and if shift + forward is still being pressed goes through window.

That way if you let go a bit earlier only thing that happens is you run into the window. 

Game can also check if window is open or closed - and avoid running through closed windows

Gotta admit it would be more of a problem for me than an improvement, I would constantly cross windows by mistake. Maybe with a delay but then isn't it like pressing E? Would be weird to have your character jogging into a window for a half second before hopping through it.

Yeah, holding down E will have him climb through, touching E opens windows, holding E while at a closed window will have the character open it and climb through.

Also, and I figure this may be less known, but if you hold shift while pressing E will have the character close the curtain.

There is also a mod on the workshop for jumping through the window if you sprint through it.(using alt key, kr whatever sprint is bound to). Includes closed windows, with chance of injury you would normally get climbing through a broken window (might include injury not limited to the hand, but I haven't tested that).

I myself seldom sprint indoors, so accidental jumps never happen for me, but I also often time forget the mod is installed.

3 hours ago, Modin said:

Gotta admit it would be more of a problem for me than an improvement, I would constantly cross windows by mistake. Maybe with a delay but then isn't it like pressing E? Would be weird to have your character jogging into a window for a half second before hopping through it.

The problem actually is E is used for both opening and going through.

So you can inadvertently close a window instead of going through it.

Having a seperate set of keys removes that possibility ( and maintains player momentum running away ) -  Simply being next to a window isn't enough you have to face it.

So unless your constantly running into windows and walls like a blind mouse in a maze you should be fine

Edited by ZombieHunter

I very often run headfirst into open windows - when I'm short on time, zombies are incoming, and I want to get ready for them, for example (not crossing the window though, just waiting in front of it).

We could only really know if the change was made. It'd also depend on how sensitive it was - how close you'd need to be to the window. I don't know how often it'd happen to me, but it would. However, it could be convenient enough that re-learning old habits would be worth it.

I agree that having to hold E is inconvenient. I've always been a kbm player and I've always disliked games placing several actions on a single key to streamline control schemes with gamepads. If I have to be honest however, I'm running out of easily-accessible keys in Zomboid, so your solution works well.

22 hours ago, Modin said:

I very often run headfirst into open windows - when I'm short on time, zombies are incoming, and I want to get ready for them, for example (not crossing the window though, just waiting in front of it).

We could only really know if the change was made. It'd also depend on how sensitive it was - how close you'd need to be to the window. I don't know how often it'd happen to me, but it would. However, it could be convenient enough that re-learning old habits would be worth it.

I agree that having to hold E is inconvenient. I've always been a kbm player and I've always disliked games placing several actions on a single key to streamline control schemes with gamepads. If I have to be honest however, I'm running out of easily-accessible keys in Zomboid, so your solution works well.

Thanks but to be fair it isn't really my solution.

It is a solution that has been implemented in quite a few games in the past - so you need to thank Parkour games that made it more convenient for moving around the map.

The Key to the system is the delay 

Though some games have implemented a Double Up method instead as an activator.

Run to object holding Shift then tapping forward key a 2nd time to go through to maintain momentum as well as having  confirmation to jump over