When will we see the realistic fire system?

Papa_Chad

Hello, I remember that a long time ago it was confirmed that the devs were working on an realistic fire system, I would like to know from the devs when this system will be implemented, as they haven't commented on it for a long time.

Pleeeeaaase, we need that. Anyway, thanks for the awesome game.

Well, some improvements are desirable, the fire shouldnt spread over concrete or tar I had some fires going on for weeks even with rain sometimes. On the other hand the fire could burn down almost half the map if the wind is strong and obviously there are no firemen, I mean they are here but as zeds so no one is fighting fire.

So I guess its always trade between reality and gameplay.

23 hours ago, Zed McJack said:

Well, some improvements are desirable, the fire shouldnt spread over concrete or tar I had some fires going on for weeks even with rain sometimes. On the other hand the fire could burn down almost half the map if the wind is strong and obviously there are no firemen, I mean they are here but as zeds so no one is fighting fire.

So I guess its always trade between reality and gameplay.

Fires that are outside of your characters 'reality bubble' actually pause, for lack of a better description. A fire you leave burning on the other side of the map will still be burning when you get back to it. Months later even.

I hope Yuri's sexy fire system address that issue.

I also hope it is tied to weather. Long drought should increase the likelihood of fire spreading, and rain/snow should lower it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying we need to revamp the fire system. Its the cornerstone of human tool use / crafting IRL so now would be a good time to update it. Stop fire from burning non flammable things and then add risk of fire to shoddy workstations as an added survival risk. Having people welding / blacksmithing without a care in the world just feels so off to me. Fire extinguishers would be quite valuable in an end of the world scenario.

Also I would like to see fire alarms and fire sprinklers. Sprinklers in buildings have wax that melts and releases water so they would still work years and years later and it would help stop the current problem where any fire burns down the whole map. And just imagine the terror when you start a fire and set off the fire alarm alerting all the zombies around to your current predicament.

18 hours ago, Goldkat said:

Sprinklers in buildings have wax that melts and releases water so they would still work years and years later ...

They would not work, sprinklers need to be attached to pressured water system and when the electricity goes off sprinklers stop working as the water pumps stop working. Or to be precise the wax will melt but the water would not be there to extinguish the fire as all the pipes would be empty.

Only if the pipes were already empty, these are safety devices not the kitchen sink they are designed to work in emergency conditions. Many systems are compressed using gas and many others just always contain water. While its true there are rare scenarios where dry lines are used they almost always have their own generators to run the pumps in an emergency.

Archived