Wheres your base?

megaman204

So i've been thinking thinking, and well, it might have hurt a bit but, it seems like there is no good place to make a base. I have heard some big talk about courtmans medical in Muldraugh. but i tried that place and it wasnt my thing. but then again i dont really like any places other than the farm with a well. mainly for water and not many zombies. but in west point i like the school. i donr know why. i just do. although i have been getting tired of how long it takes to make a fortress out of it.

so bottom line. where do you guys prefer? i just want some variety

thanks for reading.

Right now, as a Project Zomboid newbie, I'm holing up in the house to the north east of the southern trailer park in Muldraugh. The one next to the house surrounded by high fence. I figured it had some distance from the town so I might not get mobbed while getting set up and the house with the high fence would make a good place to start a garden / act as a secondary 'bug-out' location. Just got all but one door boarded up downstairs and a sheet-rope escape on the top floor, ready for excrement to hit the air accelerator.

Once I get more used to the map and finally get all the tools I'll have to make a second base closer to main street so I loot in a more efficient manner, but keeping my distance feels like the better thing to do for now. Probably the house with white fence around it....

The house with the clipping error was my first and only real "base" base after the new map.

I think I also tried doing a thing at the farmhouse in WP but I think I died from a zombie.

All of that was of course when I'm not failing at stuff or trying to be all nomad-y-ish and kill stuff a whole lot and test different character build things.

If you prioritize getting your carpentry to level 3 relatively early, you can start building rain collectors and water won't be an issue regardless of where you set up camp. Outside of that there are tons of great options. I personally have never thought Cortman was a very good idea. It's right in the middle of town, which as a general rule means heavier zombie traffic. Really any building that's on the outskirts of town is going to have the potential of being a good safehouse/fortress, and once you really learn the ropes of the game anywhere can be, but there are a few other things you can look for that can make your life a lot easier when you're choosing a base of operations. First some place that has access to a fair amount of trees nearby is going to be beneficial, because you're going to need wood, and because wood is heavy you can't carry a lot of it at a time, so you'll want to not have to go too far for it. Most of the time buildings with at least 2 stories beat single story buildings for a multitude of reasons. Single story buildings can still make awesome safe houses depending on the building, but as a general rule of thumb having a second story without having to level carpentry is usually a good thing. Somewhere that has at least a couple of entrances and exits is going to be good, so you aren't in danger of getting boxed in, but at the same time choosing a place with a zillion windows on the first floor is going to be a headache to protect, so you want to find a good medium there. Lastly it helps to choose a place that has a proper kitchen, meaning a water source, be that a sink, toilet, water cooler, whatever, a fridge of some kind, and something you can cook with, like a grill, microwave, or oven. You can bypass needing an oven by using campfires, and being able to build rain collectors will mean having a water source isn't as important, but it helps to have these things anyway, and having a fridge on site is really nice. Keeping those things in mind, have fun with it and choose a place that you like. Part of what's so much fun about the game is that there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Some places are just going to be more challenging to make them work than others.

At first I used the house I spawned in as my base until I got it "fortified" with lv 1/2 carpenter paper walls. Then I made camp at the large warehouse in the far northern part of the town. It's easy to fortify and was well stocked at least in my game.

I started the game with farming in mind, so I moved over to the farm out of the town because it's very remote and has a well. Only real downside is it's biggest advantage. Being so far away means quite the trip when getting more materials from the town, at least as long as there are no vehicles ingame yet. But as for zombies, I didn't see any apart from the few that were there when I first arrived.

Cortman's medical is on the outskirts of Muldraugh, has a lot of good loot right off the bat, has lots of storage options, is almost dead center of town, is close to the railway tracks (making trips to WP easier) and once you have a sheet-rope is pretty defensible. I think it only has 4 or 5 windows on the ground floor. A lot of people don't like it because it's too "popular" and obvious but I love the layout and position of the medical center for Muldraugh games. 

One of these brick houses is a good place to set up:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.495467332765748,0.2210373179476676,59.291374724713954

-Lots of fat loot targets nearby

-Forrest on one side unbreakable fence on the other side. Only two directions zombies can get to yyou, ergo little zombies to worry about.

-Big, two story houses with everything you need.

-All the forests you'll ever need.

That makes no sense. You said it's both on the outskirts and right in the dead center of town. That's what I don't like about it. It's in an area that I've found to often be fairly high traffic, and I'm not sure exactly how meta-game events work, but I seem to get peppered with them when I'm in that area. The good loot is nice, but it's just as easy to take it and go somewhere safer.

That makes no sense. You said it's both on the outskirts and right in the dead center of town.

I'd describe it as being on the outskirts of the centre of town.

I'm using that area as a temporary base for now, while I raid the around it for useful stuff. Once in have everything I need I'll be moving out and heading further out of town though.

I was in the central house of that residential area, but the dead bodies were bothering me so I moved into Cortman.

That makes no sense. You said it's both on the outskirts and right in the dead center of town. That's what I don't like about it. It's in an area that I've found to often be fairly high traffic, and I'm not sure exactly how meta-game events work, but I seem to get peppered with them when I'm in that area. The good loot is nice, but it's just as easy to take it and go somewhere safer.

It's almost in the exact middle of the town but is also on the very outskirts. Only one eastward house away from the forest whereas on the west side is the rest of town.

The rail yard has been my favorite place to set up at. If you play nomad until you have 2 big hiking bags full of non-perishable food and then make the trip, you can be pretty well off. The office buildings have plenty of water sources while you get rain barrels sorted out, and you can usually find "key" items here (trowel, axe, hammer, nails, TONS of wood) for building up the area. The perimeter fence is very secure, and there's ton of room for farming.

TBH, i've actually been playing it with multiplayer in mind. I can't wait to set up a small town with buddies by fencing up the area around the underground bunkers. Think how great those would be for warehouses, sleeping quarters... not to mention garages when vehicles are implemented. It's a ways out of town and you do need to make long trips to gather more resources, but you'll eventually need to do that anywhere you settle. I think its just a fun area to plan out building a colony at.