Inventory management - Custom categories and less scrolling

GKuba

Hello!

All of you know the struggle of searching for one particular item in a long list of things in your car's trunk. Want to grab the gas can from the trunk? Sure, just need to scroll through all the tools, fishing gear and loot first. Or maybe you want to move the currently equipped screwdriver back to your backpack after dismantling that TV? No problem! just scroll through all the equipped clothing first. We've all been there, scrolling through a long list to find something is a big but painful part of this game.

Now there's one method of getting rid of the clutter especially in trunks. Just grab a trash bag or other lightweight container, rename it to "Tools" and put all your tools in it, then put that container in the trunk. This is nice, however you can't take items from a nested container, so now to get your tools you first need to either equip that container or drop it on the ground and then put it back in. This is only a little bit less annoying than scrolling through a giant list of items.

To fix this issue I'd like to suggest implementation of custom categories a player could create. This would work in a following way:

• The player can select multiple items in their inventory or a container and right click on them to have an option "Create category". This would bring up a window where we choose our category name. After choosing the name, all of selected items would be collapsed into a single category "item" in the inventory.
  • The created category can be expanded and collapsed to access the items inside in similar way we can expand and collapse a list of many of the same item we have.
  • Items can be added to the category by dragging them into the expanded list, and similarly they can be removed from the category by dragging them out of it.
  • All of the items in the category should behave as if they were normally in the inventory i.e. be available for crafting - categories are meant to help with clutter, they are not containers.
  • Moving a category between containers should not break the category i.e. if I have a hammer and saw in a category "Tools" in my trunk and I drag the category to my inventory I should end up with that category in my inventory with hammer and saw in it. However I should also be able to expand the category inside the trunk and grab a single item from it.
  • Category would be removed by right clicking on it and selecting an option "Remove category", this would return all items inside the category to how they appear in the inventory normally. That being said, taking all the items out of the category should not remove the category itself, it should remain as "empty" category that can accept items back into it.

I would also like to suggest adding an option in the game settings to allow players to choose how many lines they want to scroll through at a time. This is currently set to one line per scrolling step, which is too low.

I hope you like the idea. I'd love to hear what you guys think. :)

I like this. For example, i have various car repair tools, some empty gas cans and some water for emergency situations in my car trunk. Putting these items under different category would help prevent them from mixing up with random items when looting.

Side note, there is a game flaw, that doesnt allow the player to access container within container. You have to either equip it to take items out or put it on the ground.

Also, what about option to choose item icons instead of item list? Example from game "EVE online":

1eox4TP.png

56 minutes ago, Toshis said:

Side note, there is a game flaw, that doesnt allow the player to access container within container. You have to either equip it to take items out or put it on the ground.

I've mentioned that in my original post. :) 

4 hours ago, GKuba said:

This is nice, however you can't take items from a nested container, so now to get your tools you first need to either equip that container or drop it on the ground and then put it back in.

Not sure what you mean with these icons but that would most likely require devs to design additional icons into the game.

I am hoping when they eventually revamp the UI as they stated last week they will work on the UX as well.

imo the game needs to make inventory management more complex but less clunky.

I don’t think large items should go into your inventory, which includes bags. Bags should always need to be carried or slung over your shoulder ect.

ideally what this would do is make players strategically put items in bags that they have and can carry.

yes items should display when nested in their current implementation but really this wouldn’t even be an issue as bags couldn’t really be nested I think.

certainly not bags full of stuff.

shouldn’t be able to fit a trash at full of stuff in a toolbox for instance.

certainly complicated stuff but also I hope this becomes more realistic at the end of the day.

53 minutes ago, OxManZomboid said:

I don’t think large items should go into your inventory, which includes bags. Bags should always need to be carried or slung over your shoulder ect.

This reminds me of carrying a bag full of loot in my hand and being jumped by a zombie. When you pull out a two handed weapon the bag just goes into your inventory instantly making you over encumbered. I think those bags should be dropped on the ground in that case.

59 minutes ago, GKuba said:

This reminds me of carrying a bag full of loot in my hand and being jumped by a zombie. When you pull out a two handed weapon the bag just goes into your inventory instantly making you over encumbered. I think those bags should be dropped on the ground in that case.

The mod “realistic inventory “ does help with this kind of thing but it’s not perfect. Still I can’t play without it.

also “simple add inventory pages” is another one that might help you in the mean time.

On the topic of inventory management I'd very much like to see a way to search all containers around you. When there are 50 zombie corpses it's a pain to go through each one. It could be an action that takes some seconds (maybe more for each container) and at the end shows everything your character found.

There could also an option to blacklist a certain item category. If I blacklist clothes and junk, I suddenly can't see these anymore, or maybe they're only visible at the very end of a list with an obvious separation so I can focus on what I want.

Hell, maybe there could even be a way to automatically highlight containers that have items on your wanted list, like in Fallout 4. Could be a trait, could be some base option for everyone, or could be a bonus for some level of foraging.

On that topic (I know I'm going off-track here) I'd really like seeing special bonuses from having skills at certain levels. Imagine if every 2, 3, 4, 5 levels you'd gain something special, like fitness and strength, but more active? Some skill that makes your life easier. Weapon skills could give you certain abilities with weapons, or big passive boosts. I know it's a bit more of an "arcade" feeling than some people may want from a game like this, but as it stands now I find skills and xp grind very unattractive in this game.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, Modin said:

On the topic of inventory management I'd very much like to see a way to search all containers around you. When there are 50 zombie corpses it's a pain to go through each one. It could be an action that takes some seconds (maybe more for each container) and at the end shows everything your character found.

I think there is a mod that addresses this, but I haven't tried it, and don't remember what it is called, but I adds an addition loot "container" that consolidates all items within reach under one of the tabs.

Looked promising.