“Likes & Dislikes” mechanic.

OxManZomboid

If no one mods this in I would like to see something like this, basically characters roll random likes and dislikes for the various categories of loot and it will change how you interact with the world.

let’s say you’re character hates reading mystery novels but likes romance books, in this case they will refuse to read those books unless they are insanely bored.

same with different foods. Maybe they love ice cream but hate meat. Then they will refuse to eat meat unless starving.

54 minutes ago, Bullet_Magnate said:

I like the idea, but wonder if it might not be better to make it affect how different things affect the character's happiness / unhappiness -- say, a food that normally makes someone happy inflicts a penalty instead if they hate it (or vice versa). 

I think this would be a good thing to have as an effect. Personally I do like the idea of having things be restricted for some characters at certain times though. It adds a ton of variety with a single (or handful) of tweaks.

But yes your idea is certainly one way to do it and might have a similar enough effect where you can eat what you want but you will be stressed out and depressed which would be great too.

Love the idea! Both variants actually. Could be implemented as two levels: Dislike and Hate - maybe you just dislike meat. You could eat it without a problem but it would make you sad. Or you were a vegetarian or even vegan before, so you couldn't bring yourself to eat meat if you are not starving.

Edited by getstoopid

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea. Some ppl will not like that so it shuld be at creating new world an option to turn that off partly for pc/npc and make it visible/ invisible so u need to gues after moodles what is going on with ur pc/npc. There are some players that dont like random stuff like that but i think it is a rpg thing that give every creature a type of character. U can even put that on animals and npc to gain/loose trust after dialoge that they inform u of partly what they like or not.

There should be some feedback whenever your character denies to do something like "No i can't read this book, it would make me sleep bad". This should generally be a thing if my char can't do something at the moment it would normally without problem - moodles alone are not enough sometimes, but this should be a thread on its own I guess

I think it's the same with current traits, there are some that basically are freebie points and if you need or want the easier start you take them or you don't if you like the challenge. I see no problem in this. I played some easy games and some random chars too.. had fun either way and would very much like to see some mechanics for "deeper" characters, especially with npc on the way.