Stone Tools =/= Default Knowledge

Bullet_Magnate

Seems highly questionable to me that the average Joe / Josephene off the street with no special knowledge or training would be able to construct stone tools that were at all effective or worthwhile. 

The cord bindings needed to attach a chunk of stone to a wooden handle firmly enough to make it useful are neither intuitive nor common knowledge ... 

On 6/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, getstoopid said:

I agree with you but I also think it is somewhat "common grounds" for survival games to create makeshift tools that realistically noone would be able to do nowadays. But at the same time no fire axe would ever break after a few skulls bashed in ;)

Spot on ... however, one of the things I like about PZ is that in a lot of cases it doesn't follow that common path of making things easy that shouldn't be in order to give the player a break.  I feel like this is one of those areas where the player realistically shouldn't be cut slack -- I'd personally like to see a specific profession or trait be required to make stone tools at all.  Maybe it could be a sandbox option so people can still channel their inner Og the Caveman if they want ... :D

EDIT:  On further thought, unless I'm mistaken a lot of primitive stone tools were literally just the stone with no attached wooden handle ... that is, the user just held the stone with the pointy edge outward and used it to cut / chop / bash / whatever.  That's why I'd like also like to see the ability to use plain branches and stones (chipped or otherwise) as weapons or tools without combination or modification.  That's clearly something average folks could do.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate
Further Thought

Anyone could realistically grind out a handaxe out of the right kind of stone.

Ground against another different right kind-of stone.

And it would take a long ass time to do. To the tunes of a few hours minimum, for someone who knows what they are doing. Several hours more for someone who is clueless about such things. Maybe lock it behind a magazine recipe, and/or tie it to a certain trait, profession or skill.

And it should apply some muscle fatigue penalties to the arms of the crafter, similar to when one exercises, along with the pain later, as well as some str xp while we're at it.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, OprahWinfrey said:

Stone tool recipes could be tied to the foraging skill, and gain durability when crafted at higher foraging levels.

Great idea. Connect it to lvls of foraging and ocupation of homeless guy.

Meaby that ocupation will make crafted objects faster or more durable? Ston axe and hammer break realy fast. 

Mags can help but u still shuld have foraging lvls.