Towel Update?

Goldkat

After reading todays blog post about small issues I remembered something I have had on my mind for awhile. Why can we not use towels to cover windows, or rip towels for fabric?

I think a small but meaningful feature would be if towels were updated with the following: 1. ability to cover windows 2. Ability to rip for fabric 3. Ability to burn towels and use them as kindling

and not as importantly but I think it would be nice if we could wear towels also, either around the waist or over the shoulders. Maybe even like a makeshift super hero cape? Unlike the other suggestions this would require adding new 3d assets so I don't really expect to see this. But the others should be quick to implement and make a lot of sense.

Honestly if we want to go really far with it we should be able to place towels as a rug type furniture option and use them as a bad quality bed. People sleep on beach towels all the time, and its certainly better than just sleeping on the ground, a secondary effect would be a light weight and easy to find portable bed which is something that would really improve nomadic gameplay while being balanced by the fact that its not any better than just sleeping on a random folding chair.

Currently dish towels and towels are almost completely useless and I think making them behave like other fabric items would really help round them out game-play wise, I've found myself in bathrooms looking for bandages and thinking "Why cant I just rip this towel and use that?". Or I find myself running out of fire fuel and thinking why cant I burn this dish towel I found in the cupboard. My favorite thing about this game is the multiple uses for items because it makes the game world feel alive and really leads to emergent gameplay due to satisfying problem solving.

I have no idea how long ago this was, but I could swear we used to be able to use bath towels to cover windows.  It counted for the "add sheet" option,  It could well have been a very long time ago because I bought (or signed up for - or something) Zomboid in 2011.

I've thought the same about this myself.  With should be able to rip up bath towels and dish towels for sheets at the least, and be able to burn them for fuel.  A dish towel might not be able to cover a whole window by itself if it were a large window, but it would be nice to have the option to stitch ripped sheets together to make new sheets as a way of grinding tailoring too. 

7 hours ago, Vundecat said:

I've thought the same about this myself.  With should be able to rip up bath towels and dish towels for sheets at the least, and be able to burn them for fuel.  A dish towel might not be able to cover a whole window by itself if it were a large window, but it would be nice to have the option to stitch ripped sheets together to make new sheets as a way of grinding tailoring too. 

Honestly I had not even thought of stitching towels together but that's a great idea not only would it be useful but its also much more realistic then patching and unpatching the same jacket hundreds of times.

Plus having the ability to make sheets a non renewable resource from ripped sheets a renewable resource would really help the resource economy and the gameplay loop.

Honestly now that I think about it we really should be able to use flags to cover windows. I literally have 2 flags over my windows right now that I use as curtains. Flags already have textures we would just need rolled up textures for them.