Somebody's been here...

Suomiboi

I've been playing the build 23 for a few minutes now and something just gave me the chills big time. I had established a small base in the tavern in south Muldraugh, when I decided I'd go for a longer loot run to mid-Muldraugh. I hadn't left the vicinity of the tavern except to near the police station for a small fight and shouting competition and to the trailers nearby.

So I started wandering to the suburbs when I saw an open door. I thought to myself that I must have left it open when I've been looting. But then there was this voice inside my head saying: "I never leave doors open after looting..." I disregarded the door at first, but when I went closer I noticed that the window next to the door was open too. Now I thought that somethings amiss. I NEVER leave windows open after I climb through. It's really a reflex that I turn around and close the window.

Then I started looking through the house. The fridge was empty. Ok. I could have been here 'coz it's the first thing I do always. Then I checked the cupboards and found 20 rounds for a pistol and some nails. Now there's no way I could have missed all of them since they were all in different containers.

I decided to ignore the whole thing, because it was giving me the creeps to be honest, and pressed on to an area I hadn't been to before. Then I saw this:

Spoiler

ProjectZomboid322014-02-0620-15-26-38_zp

Look at the window.

Why?!?! What have I done to deserve such a freakin' scare? :cry: I circled around the house a bit until I deared to climb inside through a different window. There was an open door inside the house too.

*Scared shitless*

The questions are: Am I going insane?, Do I just have a shitty memory? or is this a similar meta-thingy as the gunshots, but a new one?

Most importantly:

Has somebody been here?

I give it to you Dear Watsons: 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'?

Have NPCs been implemented in build 23 or something?

It wasn't me who said it...

Also no.

I don't see it, which window and what?

The one on the left is open, and I didn't open it.

You can actually put open windows in buildingEd, so that must be the reason why it's open.

Case closed.

If someone can go to the same building with the same results then this is it.

Looks like Meta events. 

My guess too.

Sorry to ask this. Maybe it's because I'm new here... but why the commotion about opened windows and doors? Wouldn't it be very unrealistic to find all windows and doors in the entire town closed?

When I see opened windows or doors I think nothing of it. Could be some randomized code that has some doors and windows opened at map creation.

Sorry to ask this. Maybe it's because I'm new here... but why the commotion about opened windows and doors? Wouldn't it be very unrealistic to find all windows and doors. in the entire town closed?

When I see opened windows or doors I think nothing of it. Could be some randomized code that has some doors and windows opened at map creation.

You are absolutely correct, it wouldn't be realistic to find all windows and doors shut. This post was more of a different way of pondering if that bit of code has been added instead of 'hey devs, is this a feature or a bug?!?'

This has never happened before so it's a new feature, and could be a part of something bigger, which could lead to some interesting conclusions as we've seen here.

It's also fun to hype things and get some of the more fresher faces thinking that they've added NPCs without telling.

Theory - Could NPCs be in the game but currently only "virtual"?  Like how zombies outside your area are "virtual" but still move around the map according to meta game events?  You can't see the zombies until you move close enough to the area to have them be "streamed in" to your game.  Maybe the switch to "stream in" NPCs is not on yet?  This would mean you would only find evidence of their actions but never see them.

So NPC's might now fully "exist" in the virtual world.  The only question would be the extent of the virtual NPCs abilities.  Evidence suggests they can loot and kill zombies (cool!).  I wonder if they can build fortifications too.  It will be interesting to see if anyone stumbles upon an existing safe house.