Are lost days on a server an issue? If so what do we do?

surf13

Hi all,

I'm still a little new to PZ so please be gentle. I did search but couldn't find much on this.

We have a small password protected server where friends of friends of friends across multiple timezones play. Because of this there are at least 3 different "time slots" that people play in.

A few of our key players are concerned about the possibility of "lost time" because we are likely to see a number of lost days between sessions - and as a result things like power and water shutting down, season passing artificially quickly, etc might be an issue.

Is this even an issue? I'm not convinced either way.

And if it is what's the best way (or ways) to mitigate it?

Cheers,
Surf

If you are playing with the default settings the power stops working after about 1-2 real life days since 1 day = 1 hour and the power normally dies around 28 days out.

You can try enabling the PauseEmpty setting in your server.ini file and see if that helps with slowing time when no one is online playing.

PauseEmpty=true

Will the server pause when it is empty. Default setting is false

The problem with passing time while being offline is the missed time to prepare for water- and power-shutdown. Since you need to build raincollectors and plumb them to a sink and find a generator and the manual to operate it. Sometimes you need to build some structure to make this work beforehand.

Missing TV can be a "problem" if you need those early carpentry levels and getting the video tapes is nearly impossible (Zombie population, distance from city etc.) So yes I would say it's inconvinient to miss time as the world changes constantly making it harder to survive, for newbies at least.

If I understand correctly you got a server that is actively played around the clock so there is not much you can do about it.

Archived