Increasing the ByteBuffer in GameServer.class to allow for more and larger map mods

krapfen

Hey,

im using a dedicated server that uses a couple of map mods (~60). I'd like to use some more maps but the problem is that there is a size limit on the amount of memory the map mods need which leads to a java.nio.BufferOverflowException. I think it is between 2 and 4 GB but i cannot confirm. As im not willing (nor allowed) to decompile the Java code and change it for myself I want to suggest it in this forum.  

Please increase the ByteBuffer used in zombie.network.GameServer.receiveRequestData() to allow the usage of more map mods.

Since I'd say that this is not a bug I'm posting it here in the suggestion forum and not in the bug forum. 

Thanks! 

Not totally sure that makes sense, as the game will just chunk large files into 3 MB increments. The game doesn't have to hold the entire map contents in RAM. In this case, it's more likely that there's something wrong with the map_meta.bin or map_zone.bin files on the server. 

It'd probably best to post the log with the full stacktrace.

I think this indicates more-so that the map_zones.bin is corrupt on the server, as it's failing after trying to get a short. 

Could you try deleting it from the server-side save and the client, then try again? Do the same for map_meta.bin just to be sure.

Should note that you have like 310 mods here, not just 60 ... there's like 1800 entries that just refer to zones and 500 that override zones. That's ... pretty ridiculous. All it takes is one to have an error and it's going to break something. And many of these I'm pretty sure are way out of date.

After deleting the files from server and client side I still get the same error. Of course I also tried reinstalling of the server, mods and game. 

With ~60 mods I referred to the explicit map mods not all the mods I use. Im just curious what the problem here is and why that error only occurs when I exceed some specific map size. If I have some free time today I try to reproduce this with only map mods. 

What I also see: the map can't even be initialized. It stays like it is shown in the image in the servertest directory.Capture.PNG.e2cbddf6a66ced96430d20435e3f97ef.PNG

Edited by krapfen

Well if thats the case then it must have to do something with the mod combination I use. I'll try to narrow it down and see if i can find the faulty mod(s).

Still thanks for taking your time and looking into it.