Ranged weapon spawn rate?

amcoops

Hi guys, 

Being from the UK I like to play PZ in sandbox mode to alter it making it more like the UK. First step is to make it cold and wet because we all know that's the British climate 😅

The issue falls when I tag "Ranged Weapons" and "Ammunition" as Extremely rare because we don't have guns in the UK. So my starting home had a gun case with a pistol and a clip, the third house I looted had a gun case with ammo and a clip, I passed two zombies with guns on them between these two houses, then I died 😅

I don't really want to start another character in this world if guns are growing on trees, so my question is... 

Is the "Ranged Weapons" spawn rate broken? Or are guns accidentally not in the ranged weapons bracket? (because I increased the tool spawn rate) What's happening here? 

Thanks for hearing me out, 

Adam

So I started a new world to test it, the word was made without zombies and easy cars to make it easier to search. I attached some screenshots which are quite self-explanatory but I'll describe them as follows...

A - The item spawn chances for the world created

B - The map

- the guns show where I found guns and/or ammunition

- the circles I searched but found no guns

- The fire were burned down houses

- The dollar sign was a "for sale" house

- The target was just full of toilet paper weirdly 

C - The loot from the houses searched

The blue building was a police station where I'd expect to find guns but I didn't gain access to the armoury, the two pistols found were in desks.

This does not seem to be "extremely rare" guns and ammo to me. There was definitely abundant fresh food and I actually found less canned food than guns.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Just for information, 3 things you mentionned that are in fact not concerned by loot randomization:

Houses for sale are not random, they are pre-defined in the map.

Burned down houses and toilet paper houses (a funny reference to the craze for toilet paper we saw during the first covid-19 strike) are random, but linked to the setting "Randomized House Chance". Note that those "randomized houses" can have cool stuff inside (for instance, some will be full of farming supplies, other will have electronics related objects, stashes of food, etc), notably some of them will contain lots of weapons, including firearms.

Other things that are worth mentionning, I think:

Some secret stashes that are generated with "annotated maps" will more than often have weapons, among which, firearms are not rare. The drop rate of those annotated maps can be modified with the setting  "Annotated Map Chance"

I agree that firearms are not that uncommon with extremly rare settings, but on an other hand, they are various enough to let you with lots of firearms and not enough ammo.

However, the presence of firearm shops, police stations and random police road blocks can greatly increase your access to firearms and ammo. Notably shotguns.

So, overall, I agree that even with the "extremely rare" setting, you can end up armed to the teeth. However, I think that the firearms spawn is very much affected by more than just this setting.

Edited by Mork
words

Thanks for the reply Mork, 

I mentioned the three anomalies because due to the nature of them having strange or limited loot that they should be voided from my search zone. As far as I know guns don't spawn in those houses, even if they can i didn't search them so they should be disregarded. 

As for the annotated map chance, I have that set as rare and didn't find a single one, all guns found were in wardrobes, some in kitchen counters and in the police station desks. The police station I mentioned as a caveat, obviously I'd expect to find guns there, however it does highlight that in this small search area there were a lot of guns to be found.

Edited by amcoops

I just started a new sandbox game (always extremely rare loot for everything), and it wasn't long before finding a house with a corpse holding a partially loaded gun. Few houses farther, I found a barricaded house, one of the zeds inside had a firearm. Few houses farther, I found another house with another corpse, which contained 2 shotguns and two boxes of ammo. For a total of 22 houses looted.
Each one of those are kind of events, randomized houses, and not linked to the loot setting I chose (I believe).

It is highly possible that some of your findings are linked to randomized houses too (hard to tell, but I think that's a good assemption). However, I don't know how those randomized houses interact with the loot settings. And maybe this interaction should be looked into by the devs?

But your map shows impressively the frequency of those findings, and to this regard, it may be interresting to have a setting like "Barely any", or maybe even "None" in each loot category. It would indeed let us have even more freedom to put difficulties where we want to.

Edited by Mork
words

I did find a shotgun and an additional pistol in a barricaded house in that same world but I didn't include it on the map as (like you say) that encounter is listed in another bracket. 

In my perfect world guns and ammo would be in the game but they would be exclusive to.. 

- Police stations/cars/persons

- Survivor related houses/cars/corpses

- Military related entities

- Maybe also some drug dens

I don't want to find one in every four wardrobes I search. I do have a biased view here as I live in the UK but I thought "Extremely Rare" would be just that. 😕