Scariest thing that has happened to you in Project Zomboid?

Jela331

If you play this game high or drunk it feels a lot more real, and can be really freaky.

I think playing in an empty dark house does the job.

The game brings constant feelings of dread, paranoia, and vulnerability for your character. Then the occasional surprise zombie that makes me jump outta my seat.

I was walking down the railway tracks along a fence and saw a horde ahead. I was also at the end of the fence. I decided to turn back, but I went on the other side of the fence, through the woods. I couldn't see through the dense forest area and then they got me. About 100 Z's chowing down on me. Gave me a fright!!

I have also heard the knocking!

Edit: Definitely sounds like a quick knocking sound, 5 or 6 quick dull raps...freaked me out a few times.

Also, every time I play this game high it scares the crap out of me, but I get reeeaaallllyyy into it :)

Just did a game with unlucky trait, first house i looted a zombie jumped out of the shower and attacked me. The 2nd house I looted 3 zombies immediately busted out of the bathroom when i opened the door and ate me to pieces (just my "luck" that i was overburdened when this happened). If your unlucky stay away from bathrooms....

I was just playing PZ last night with my most successful character/game to date. (SP)

I've got my laptop plugged into my television. Sitting on the couch with my wireless mouse and keyboard. 

I see a trailer that I decided to loot before heading back to the safehouse with my new found supplies. There are a few Z's around, but I think I can open the window and jump inside quickly, loot, and escape the other side. Aaannnnndd the power goes out as I'm opening the window. (Power outage for real)

Well damnit!! Wait a second... I'm using a laptop! I scramble across the floor and open the lid and all I see is zombies surrounding my body, and this...

"YOU HAVE SURVIVED FOR..."

=| sonofabitch.

Find a home, front door unlocked! Success! As I go in, deathly silence. I'm searching the kitchen thinking to myself: Wow, this home has fantastic loot. And what do I hear? The soul crushing noise of a house alarm wailing, which triggers various sounds of grumbling outside and banging on windows/doors. So I decide to myself, I'll quickly give the house a once over, grabbing anything of use. So I do. Now I get to the last room, stumbling upon painkillers before SMASH. The banging has stopped, which only means the undead are inside. I grab what I can and dive into the nearest bedroom in hopes to find some sheets to rope down, nada. Only then do I hear behind a closed door one of the undead swinging into the same bathroom I just exited and standing there, not moving. So I make a break for it down the stairs into the comforting arms of two undead who seemed to be waiting for me on the steps, slipped over the banister, breaking a few things and finally being eaten alive.

I was at the far end of West Point at the lonesome house. In the woods I had taken my time luring zombies from the surrounding fields making sure that every zed was dead. Awhile later I was there chopping trees and sawing logs, enjoying a 'sandwich', when that god forsaken alert music fills my headset. I grab my mouse and frantically swing at the sneaky guy only to see about half a dozen more lurching towards me. Needless to say, as I frantically walked away, I was dropping logs I was so scared. 

Not the scariest but I was making improvements to the top level of my warehouse fortress (bottom floor is sealed up tight with no critters) and went to the bottom floor for water. As soon as I open the door to the warehouse a lone zombie jumps at me from behind the door.

No idea how it got in there. All windows were barricaded and all door were shut. It's like it just spawned inside or something. Freaked me out. :???:

Setting zombie spawn settings to urban focused, then spawning dead centre of an infested West Point neighborhood. Despite looting an axe off the first zombie he killed, and then finding a shotgun with 20+ shells Rolf Harris was overrun and made the focus of a zombie gangbang.

Also, all three times my first character was bit. He survived the first 2, but the third had him succumb to the zombie virus.

Months ago, when first starting to play PZ, before West Point, before Steam, and well before multiplayer, I was out and about looting. I lost track of the time. Cue my character stumbling about blindly in the stormy night, going from house to house, trying to find a place to sleep. Already soaking, and having the harsher tired moodles slowing creeping in, I found a spot. Good. Perfect. Jimmy open the window. The alarm goes off. Proceed to streak down the street like a greased cat, with no sense of direction, horde on my tail, finding it harder to move or see anything in a night that just seems to get darker. Completely lost, and not knowing of the CrashOverride map, I stumbled about a bit longer and found another house. Proceed to crack open the window, only to be kicked square in the nuts by a practical demonstration of Murphey's Law. Rinse and repeat.

So after I entered the seventh house, I finally lucked out. No alarm. The area was a bit hot with Zeds, but, safe enough to sleep. Lost the character soon after though, because of my inexperience.

More? Every bathroom ever. Every. Bathroom. EVER. Accidentally swinging a melee weapon into a door you intended to open when sneaking around a horde. Slipping a finger and hitting Q when stealthing

One of my more recent scare moments occurred in multiplayer. Made the trek up to the West Point Pizza Whirled ( http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7786671336751929,0.13825300731719026,228.25217147535355 ) with Viceroy. Windows have been covered and barricaded to their maximum. The supplies have been offloaded and stored. Setting up shop and organising the cans of beans, Viceroy exits the building, turns left, and proceeds to crack open the Zippee Mart for loot. The alarm goes off. Now understand, we had just trekked up to West Point from Muldraugh. This was virgin territory. The undead natives do NOT take kindly to our intrusion.

So, the entire situation drops into the toilet. We've got gargantuan hordes coming from the town to the North and the housing estate to the West. Viceroy runs around, trying to keep the hordes moving in circles and clumping up. I came back outside with the only shotgun we had and a single box of shells. A running gunfight ensued, with us both trying to lure the Zeds into the nearby Primary School ( http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.795284425529382,0.1355241912383454,158.50845241343998 ) with yelling and the odd gunshot. While pulling the first large horde up from our safehouse to the south-west, we were also pulling all the nearby zombies from every point of the compass. We entered the school through a window, hoping to mow down the zombies as they came through and bunched up. They came in through EVERY window, from every direction. We managed to get out, evade and loose the horde, and make it back to Pizza Whirled, but... damn. Having so many zombies coming at you in such a confined space, only to have your shottie produce a loud clicking sound... Not so much a scary thing, but certainly one of the biggest 'Oh Crap' moments I've had to date.

In short, really gorram'd fun :D

After realizing how good PZ is, i decided to make a video about it. 

Original script was "I am totally safe here. With the doors sealed and curtains shut, i am bidden to make this my safehouse."

However, this came out:

"I am totally safe here. With.... Mark, what's that banging? I didnt know this was a 2 story... " 

After checking all rooms but the Bathroom...

" Ok. Bathroom's at the end.. Now, sneak... Ill do it myself, get outta hee.." 

I sneaked, and before i could open the door, BOOM! Horde was having a big-ass party, mashed in and ran me over. 

"F*CKSHITEPUTIN"

My friend bursted in laughter and i asploded.

So there I was spending a quiet evening at home. The news had said something about riots in the area but my house was pretty out of the way so I wasn't worried. I decide to make some salmon for dinner I pop it in the oven and then sit down to read a book on farming. I guess I lost track of time and left the salmon on too long. I opened the oven to see if anything could be salvaged. That was my last mistake. Hellfire roared out of the appliance. My kitchen was instantly engulfed in an inferno of death. It was as if Trogdor himself had decided to burnanate my thatched roof cottage. Flames covered my body as I ran out of the house and into the yard. In my final moments I watched as my cozy little bungalow turned to ash.

I simply cannot play PZ at night with a good pair of headphones on. The music is so depressing and petrifying (a compliment) and whenever a zombie approaches me by surprise I jump to the shrieking sound effect. It's all part of the experience though, kudos to the Dev's for making it a truly terrifying experience  ;)

I've heard the knocking two times. First time I was storing canned goods I heard the knocking so I went outside to look around nothing was there. The second time my character was sleeping but around 11:30 pm to 2:30 pm i heard it again but this time it sounded like someone tapping on a tree. Not the scariest but interesting otherwise.

The powers out, I've decided to build a fire to cook some decent food. I've had a little trouble with a fire pit disappearing so I build a new one and light it....FIRE I run outside my legs on fire then I head inside to find all my stuff on fire. I panic but it too late I've lost most my stuff and my base. Plus now with the building on fire most zombies are heading this way.

LINK TO THAT MOMENT BELOW

http://youtu.be/uidg0rlb0FE?t=22m17s

• 9 years later...