Question: How to make your own tiles?

grivcin

Ok, quick question. Is it possible to make your own tiles  in-game?

I would like to know, if there is ny possibility for this. For example, I want to create my own walls, roofs, accents and other things. To be able to suit the style of buildings I'm going for. But I don't know where to start. what size do the tiles need to be, what program can be used, how would the tiles be recognized as stairs, or a door or whatnot. Can I import other tiles from regular pngs. If anyone has any idea please let me know. I'd like to create some tiles. If at all possible. (tophat)

I've also wanted to go through with this and make a tileset but due to being a bit busy I can't at the moment. In the Map Editor download there is a "Tiles" folder. I just made a copy of that whole folder so I could edit them without worrying about messing up TileZed. Since the images are just .pngs, any editor should do fine. I used Photoshop but I'm sure Paint/GIMP would suffice. The sizes I still haven't figure out fully because some tiles are split..such as a couch having 2 sections and stairs having 3 pieces (1st-one touches floor,2nd-mid air, 3rd-Touches next floor up) and I haven't quite figured out those sizes yet. As for telling it what kind of tile it is, I would start using a "base template" such as a piece of grass if you want to do outside ground, carpet for inside, a section of stairs for stairs, want to make a wall? start with a wall, then design around that, and so on. I know there's a "Tile Properties" selection under the "Tools" drop down menu in TileZed, though I'm not 100% sure how to use it, I believe there is where you could fine-tune the properties of the tiles you're working on. I have a small example of making a tile/object here: 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4873-arcade-machine-wip/

Hope this helps in some way, anything is possible in this game with the knowledge.