[41.71] Car handling is wacky after update; Heavy cars can barely drive, especially the ones from mods

SonicSonedit

• Multiplayer
• Dedicated private server
• Can be reproduced without any mods; breaks many of vehicles from mods with mass over 1500kg; also breaks most cars with engine power over 650
• Can be reproduced on new 41.71 save; Originally detected on save from 41.68

Hello!

After latest update many cars (both from mods and Vanilla) have A LOT of problems with towing and accleration. For example, when towing a trailer your car can come to a full stop for no reason. This never happened before.

This happened to:

- Vanilla elite sport car (580 hp) towing a vanilla pickup (~1300 kg)

- W900 Truck (650 hp) towing its trailer (~1700 kg)

- HMVWW (420 hp, very high torsion) towing another HMVWW (~1500 kg)

All of these happened on asphalt wihtout any objects stuck under whells of towing car. The car would just stop, until you move back a bit (reverse gas) and then you will start moving forward again. This happens even without any mods on vanilla.

Which is even worse, we just got swarmed by horde because HMVWW got stuck after hitting 4 zombies while trying to manuever through said zombie horde (~100-150 zeds), which NEVER happened before update, given it's mass and torsion!

As requested by Discord admin Spiffo, I recorded some videos.

I could easily reproduce "stuck by 4 zombies" with any heavy vehicle (weight 1500+): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbm6L6YC9U

While towing, it feels that you loose about 80% friction while turning while driving heavy vehicles, and they effecitively stop: https://youtu.be/13DP6FFvDVE

It also appears that friction became extremely low on anything but asphalt, include player-crafted floor. Here is Dash Elite (elite car) come to a full stop while towing a pickup and just barely touches grass: https://youtu.be/Rwnc8jXQXUs

These are videos depicting the problem even without any mods.

Now, lets move to some popular vehicle mods.

Take HMMWV for exmaple https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2642541073 - this is a #10 top rated all time mod in all categories, and #1 top rated mod in vehicles. This is deserved, given how much effort author put into mod - design, 3d model, animations, customization, and most importantly - both spawn balance and usability balance - its all there for this mod. You can add it to vanilla without breaking your game experience.

So, before update HMMWV could easily run over 10-20 zombies. It would loose some speed, but would quickly recover it. Now, it comes to a full stop just like the Van from first video.

Not just that! HMMWV can't even tow another HMMWV! This is ridiculous at this point.

Same goes for semit-truck mods like W900 and Petyarbuilt 379

The behaivor described above was present even before update to some degree, yes. But it was never affecting vehicle handling as it does now!

Overall it looks like after this update either tire friction calculation is broken, especially when turning, or car weight now affects car acceleration much stronger in a negative way - in both cases, heavy cars are basically broken, especially the ones from mods.

Edit:

Actually this may be caused by the change that Vehicles physics are now client-side, since this mostly happens on unstable FPS. And having 200+ zeds on screen is not a rare occurance in long runs, so FPS affecting Vehicle handling is a serious issue. Still, for some reason, heavy machines are affected much more than the light ones.

Logs: logs_22-05.zip

Edited by SonicSonedit

• SonicSonedit changed the title to [41.71] Car handling is wacky after update; Heavy cars can barely drive, especially the ones from mods

Okay. That's a lot clearer. I misread this thread then.

Do you have any mods that affect towing? Because my total, speculative guess from that vid would be that the trailer and vehicle's weight is being reduced considerably, which is something a few mods do to "improve" towing. 

It'd be worth trying it without those mods, if they're there. I know you give specific details in the OP, but it'd be worth double-checking if possible. 

43 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Do you have any mods that affect towing?

No, I don't think so.

44 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Because my total, speculative guess from that vid would be that the trailer and vehicle's weight is being reduced considerably, which is something a few mods do to "improve" towing.

You are correct, some mods like heavy trucks with truck semi-trailers indeed do that. But cars in video above are not really much different from vanilla trailer + vanilla pickup.

47 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It'd be worth trying it without those mods, if they're there. I know you give specific details in the OP, but it'd be worth double-checking if possible. 

Will do.

I've had something that might be related, I was using a vanilla sport car (Dash Elite, I think) to tow a Chevalier Dart but as soon as I moved into 2nd gear I started to slow down to the point where I was barely moving (and burning a LOT of gas).  If I stopped and accelerated again it would be fine in 1st gear, but then slow again in 2nd gear.

41.71, single player, no vehicle mods.

5 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

I've had something that might be related, I was using a vanilla sport car (Dash Elite, I think) to tow a Chevalier Dart but as soon as I moved into 2nd gear I started to slow down to the point where I was barely moving (and burning a LOT of gas).  If I stopped and accelerated again it would be fine in 1st gear, but then slow again in 2nd gear.

41.71, single player, no vehicle mods.

Yes, this is what I meant by saying

For example, when towing a trailer your car can come to a full stop for no reason.

I can confirm that this happened to me too, I burnt like half of my gas towing a trailer through the dirt road, and it struggled a lot. And towing vehicles through anything that's not asphalt, even if using heavy duty vehicle is just impossible, as you start to lose speed, untill you fully stop. Can't move any further unless you disconnect towed vehicle.