Game won't use my eGPU

Cryfer

Question

I play on an old laptop with integrated intel graphics (hd graphics 4600), but I have an egpu (r7 m265). The game does not want to use the full power of the external video card, I don’t know why. But if I disable the external graphics card in the device manager, then the integrated graphics work at full capacity, but if I disable the integrated graphics, the game does not start at all.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

9 answers to this question

18 hours ago, Beard said:

OpenGL has nothing to do with the inability of the graphics card to be switched, its just a game rendering engine.
Can you launch the game again through the external card and then share your console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid?
After that can you also share the latest “hs_err_pid” file found in your main game folder “Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid”?

console.txt hs_err_pid7740.log

Seems like from the logs the game does use the correct graphics card, though there seem to be some driver issues. Could you update the drivers for your Intel graphics card and your external one as well? Since based on the version info they may be outdated.

13 hours ago, Beard said:

I tried this many times, it didn't help. As I understand the problem in opengl, it is not able to switch graphics

Oh, I see. The hs_err is actually from May 1st, so it's probably not relevant if the game is running.

There might not be much we can suggest here, if the main problem is just that it's not running at full capacity vs. crashing because it's ultimately going to be decided by the OS/GPU drivers.

Are you running it on the laptop's native display? You might get better results if you have the option of plugging in an external monitor to the eGPU. 

I am using native display. Perhaps this is the problem that the integrated graphics are tied to the native display. Although the problem may be in the drivers, I tried to download the drivers from the official AMD website, but they did not work. From the website of the laptop manufacturer, the drivers worked

OpenGL has nothing to do with the inability of the graphics card to be switched, its just a game rendering engine.
Can you launch the game again through the external card and then share your console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid?
After that can you also share the latest “hs_err_pid” file found in your main game folder “Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid”?

Archived