What was your most memorable moment in Project Zomboid?

Exphon

Hey everyone,

I love me a good Zomboid story, and was curious as to what yours might be!

My most memorable moment was when two friends and I accidently flipped a car near a horde in Muldraugh and barely escaped with our lives. It was absolutely because we were being idiots, but it was so thrilling having to navigate a neighborhood on foot and coordinate an escape from the horde while severely injured.

Mine involved me and my 3 buddies. Buddy #1 had died and spawned in a mobile home in south Muldraugh near Cortman Medical. Buddy #2 decides to solo-attempt a rendezvous via foot with Buddy #1 since he doesn't trust mine and Buddy #3's driving abilities (:lol:).

Buddy #3 and I made it to Buddy #1 unscathed. Buddy #2 had a hard time finding us and was fighting zombies throughout the day and night. Around 2am, he was struggling against a horde while excessively fatigued and limping backwards on the road -- begging us to find him. Just as he was about to succumb, the rest of us heard the fighting and quickly darted over to help. The cavalry literally arrived for Buddy #2 (and ironic since he wanted to be the "rescuer"). Another few seconds and he would've become zombie toast.

Another story involved me and 2 of the same Buddies from the earlier anecdote. We were in a small warehouse with a storefront on the west side of Muldraugh. The zombies weren't problematic at all until a good ol' chopper decided to fly over us. Hordes of zombies started pushing through the back door, front door, side windows, etc. We were literally fighting for our characters' lives. Each of us manned key choke points. At one point, I got overwhelmed and gambled it by temporarily running outside even though the chopper was still flying above. Somehow, someway, we fended off the horde and lived to tell the tale. Screenshot of the aftermath attached.

PZwarehouse.jfif

A very very long time ago, when I first started playing, I had made my way to the north side of West Point. It was pitch black and pouring with rain. I held up in a building, with the undead slowly making their way to me. I closed the curtains and tried to be quiet. As the hordes were pounding on the windows, they suddenly stopped.

I opened the curtains to see what was happening. In a house on the other side of the street was a poor soul with a nasty cold. His sneezing was pulling the undead away. Needless to say I went out the back and left with the swiftness!

• 4 weeks later...

After a day of looting, friend and i were tired, so we decided to clear the warehouse in Westpoint and stay for the night there, then loot mentioned warehouse in the morning. Killed some zombies outside and inside, opened garage doors and drove car inside. Shortly after we noticed an increase of zombies around us, we decided to get rid of them, although we were tired. While fighting we saw hordes of zombies swarming from all directions. Apparently we forgot to turn off car engine and a weird bug happened - zombies were attracted to that car, like it was some sort of house alarm. Yes, i observed it and zombies were going straight for the car (full of our loot). We got extremely tired and situation became unmanageable, so we decided to run away south, into the forest. Completely dark, exhausted to the point that can barely walk and zombies almost touching our backs. After a quick talk we had different opinions on where we should go and we split our ways, i went deeper into the woods, while friend tried to kite around back into the town. After wandering for some time in the dark woods, zombies breathing at my back, I stumbled upon a small house. I've decided that this is it, i have to get loose of those zombies and catch a breath in that house. To my misfortune there were more zombies inside, decided to fight or die trying, had enough of running away. And i met my end, in that cursed house in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile friend was walking across the town almost entire night and managed to reach safehouse in the early morning, injured, but alive.

my mostmemerable moment is when i decided to take on fort redstone i had breached through the first gate and was fighting endless undead for a entire day then rested once i woke up i walked down the path to take down more zombies then hopped a wall to a sectoned off area that was essentily a square knowing they would surrond the outerwall leaving me trapped in a quickly jumped into the main area of fort redstone i took my shotgun out of my back pack i had 1000 shotguns shells at the start of but after shooting and attacking the horde that was pouring into the base i knew soon i would run out of ammo as soon as j hit the 100 shells mark there where still hundreds of zombies pouring into the base looking for a way to leave the base i kept circling and runing around but i was getting tired and exhausted and all the exits where covered with more zombies entering the base i had execpted my fate i only had 3 shells left i ran to area where there was"nt many zombies not wanting to be eaten alive i put the barrel of the shotgun in my mouth and killed my self 2000+ zombies killed

I was still in the stage of the game where I was exploring the map around my planned safehouse area and gathering supplies.  I was not particularly well-equipped or armed (my best weapon was a hammer at about 50% condition). I was checking things out to the north, following a small paved road.  About 3:00 PM, I reached a point where the road hit the river and turned east.  Along the river to the west was wooded shoreline, for as far as I could see. 

Though I was low on food and already “peckish,” I decided to go west along the shoreline, in hopes there would be something along the river I could explore or loot.  I knew there was a road on the other side of those woods (though it was a rather far from the shore) – so I figured if it started getting dark, I could cut through the woods to the road and circle back to my safehouse. 

So I’m walking along the shore, and after going a ways, I notice that there are zombies in the woods.  Like, a LOT of zombies.  Looking back, I can see quite a few wandering out onto the previously-empty shoreline.  So, I’m starting to some quick figuring in my head.  Do I turn back now, fight my way through the few I can see, and backtrack along the road to home?  Or do I stick with the original plan and keep going, hoping to find something worthwhile and/or reach a point where I can safely cut through the woods to the road? 

I decided to keep going (foolishly, in retrospect), and before I know it I am a LONG ways down the shoreline with nothing in sight up ahead and no way to backtrack before the sun goes down.  The whole way, the woods have been heavily infested – I can see groups of them wandering among the trees.  There are scattered zombies along the beach now, and I’ve had to shwack a few in order to keep going.  To add insult to injury, I’m now quite hungry and have no food. 

As darkness starts to fall, I quietly take out the 2-3 zombies in the open that are closest to me, to get a little breathing space.  I get as close to the water as I can, sit on the sand with my back to the water and face to the woods, and spend a cold hungry night with a hammer in my right hand and a flashlight (off) in my left – ready to quickly and (hopefully) quietly take out anything I hear coming close, or possibly at least have a semi-heroic last stand if a large group finds me. 

Thankfully, the night is uneventful, but I am now VERY hungry and “ridiculously tired” on top of that.  I keep moving along the shoreline and after what seems like an eternity of creeping along next to a forest that looks PACKED with zeds, up ahead I see a paved road appear along the shoreline.  I cut over to the road through a patchy area of trees and keep going – hoping that the road, at least, will lead me to a place where I can find food.  But, no – I keep going for what feels like forever, and only find a few car wrecks and scattered zombies (which I try to avoid, as killing them in my starved / tired state has become a bit dicey). 

Finally, I reach a point where the road turns and continues north along the shore, BUT there is a tiny overgrown dirt road – a trail, maybe? – that leaves the road to the left / south.  Do I keep following the road, figuring that it’ll take me to SOMETHING – a home, a rest stop, anything – or do I go down the trail, hoping that it’ll lead to a cabin or camp –and not just dead end in the middle of the woods?  On the plus side, the woods now appear quiet / zombie-free ... 

I decide to take a chance on the dirt trail.  After a longish walk through the woods, darkness is starting to fall again. It’s beginning to look like another hungry night out in the open when – miracle of miracles – I see a couple of rooftops through the trees: a small shed, and what looks like a large cabin or a lodge.  I peep through one of the shed windows – no zombies, and a couple of wooden crates.  The window is unlocked, and I crawl in.  I am carrying a sheet, which I hang over one of the two shed windows, and I hunker down behind the crates, hoping I am not easily seen through the other. 

As darkness truly begins to set in, I look in the crates, hoping for something—anything—that will better my situation.  I find … a newspaper; a trowel; and … a can of dog food.  Fortunately I am carrying a can opener.  I crack open that can and eat every scrap of that Alpo as though it were Wagyu-grade filet mignon, and settle in for a night’s sleep on the cold concrete floor of the shed. 

The next day, I looted the cabin for more supplies and was able to cut through the woods to road, and I did make it back to my safehouse.  The events above, however, gave me some of the most tension I’ve experienced in this game, and though I’m not sure they’re terribly exciting to read, will always be some of the most memorable moments in this game for me. 

I started a new character in Riverside many moons ago.

And before any combat, bad food or any other injury just collapsed and died shortly after leaving the starting house.

No idea why. Game bug, weird mod conflict, no idea.

I know it doesn't quite fit the overall theme of this thread, but I can assure you, it is a moment I'll never forget.

When I've more time to make a more involved post, I'll make another post that is more properly memorable. 

I died doing exactly what you are taught not to do in fire safety - I ran into a burning house.  I had survived 6 months playing pure vanilla.  Somehow, I caught my kitchen on fire.  Got badly burned trying to put it out.  Managed to escape barely alive.  And I thought to myself it would be a good idea to run back in and try to put out the widespread fire.  

• 1 month later...

Archived