Apocalyptic - Might be looking for help

TheCenturion

nnm7gn.png

So. Some time back I started my first 'major' project. You can still find the game on Indie DB and Game Jolt. It was an open world top down survival game, inspired by games such as Minecraft and PZ. Since I had no idea how to code, I used Construct Classic. I kept the project going for two or so years, and I think it went through several iterations and complete rebuilds. Little of it worked, and what it did get to was unoptimized and buggy. 

Ultimately, it was a case of newbie has a big idea, but not the skills to implement it. 

The game was supposed to be a top down Minecraft with zombies and base building. The player began in a random world, and got to work gathering building supplies and scavenging items and food. There was also to be a big focus on NPCs, which were supposed to be random and hire-able.

That was where half of my problems set in. I could not for the life of me get the AI to work how I wanted; I had a working zombie AI, after many months of trying, and half working pathfinding for soldiers and NPCs. I also wanted a 'overlord' AI which would be able to set up its own groups.

When it became clear the current version was beyond help, I stopped.

Preview1.png

Apocalyptic15.pngapocalyptic30.png

That was a year or so ago. Interestingly, I forgot to take down the game's profile on Game Jolt and it's STILL getting interest, ratings and comments... which is awkward. So I've decided I'm going to revive the project, or sometime in the near future anyway. 

If I were to restart the project, I'd consider looking for other individuals interested on working on the project. It's an entirely free game by the way; so there'd be no payments, I'm afraid. As a learner myself, I've got some art skills (thankfully more refined than that pixel mess above :P ), and I've worked a little with Unity and a lot of Construct. I'd be looking for programmers, other artists/sprite artists and audio peeps. 

Since this is still a newbie project, and one that probably wouldn't ever be super serious (I'm not even sure I could really start it for a bit anyway), this might be interesting for others like me looking to coop on a small project. I'm thinking those with a little experience that want a bit of practice working in a team. Overall, it's just a fun, small project that I think could flourish a little with some indie spirit. :D

Drop me a PM if you're interested; otherwise thanks for reading anyway. :)

http://gamejolt.com/search/?q=apocalyptic

http://www.indiedb.com/games/apocalyptic

EDIT: You may notice the... erm... rather ambitious game descriptions. I imagine that's one of the reasons people liked it; not so much what is actually 'was' since nobody ever got to play it. :P

Thanks; the models are older ones, when I was just learning Blender. I wanted to go for a monochrome, dirty pixel art style combined with white/grey 3D models... yeaaaah... I didn't really think through the graphical style well. Hell, I didn't even come up with a design document. :P

Rouge like was definitely an inspiration; I just love permadeath. Makes games far more exciting, and combined with randomized content is even better.