So I was thinking for some time how the weapons could be made slightly more effective with more of a downside.

Such as a few more weapons to the game, or allowing certain levels of accuracy to change the effect on zombies. Such as crit. hits on the head, making zombies going into crawlers, that sort of stuff.

So what I would out up for discussion would be slight more additions to the firearms. Only a few, and nothing overpowered.

I'd suggest the addition of an Sub-machine gun (Semi-automatic only) 

It'd be an improvement over the pistol in most ways, and use the exact same 9mm ammo.

For instance, range could be increased, the magazine could be increased to 30 although the accuracy would be exactly the same.

However, there would be a few downsides to this. 

It would be louder than the pistol, causing more zombies to hear it.
Level 2/3 accuracy (Or reload) would be needed. I assume a sub-machine gun would be harder to aim than a pistol and so without the correct accuracy/reload level then the player would just not be able to use it 'stating something along the lines of I don't trust myself with this' or something.

Also, it could not be equipped with a silencer.

Which brings me to my next point.

Silencers.

Silencers could be extremely rare, accuracy level one and to of read a book on equipping silencers.

This would mean that people who use handguns (As it'd be for handguns only) could use it to be more silent. It'd be as loud as a melee weapon then, or a little louder.

The downside could be that accuracy is reduced, and the handgun's 'life' is reduced from 1/60 to 1/20 or 1/15.

Lastly, what about skill books for guns, only causing a slight xp boost.

Sorry about the rant about guns, I really enjoy using the guns in PZ, and I find having the sandbox settings of Zombies - Insane, high health and extremely strong with loot abundant to be quite fun!

If you are using the same round, the max range is going to be the same.  However, since you are dealing with compounding recoil your effective range is actually going to be reduced.  Have you ever tried to head shot a target with an automatic weapon?  You generally "walk" your rounds up the target.  SMGs dont really get the full benefit of this as the recoil gets to be so overbearing, you are left to accurately shoot in 3 to 5 round bursts.  Anything else is just wasting rounds.

I would put most automatic weapons as a waste of ammo against Zeds.  The vast majority of your rounds is going to impact the body, which does nothing.... unless you sunder the corpse from ammo displacement.  Sounds cool, not likely to happen with a 9mm.  You might have a better chance blowing someone in twain with a 18 to 20 ga shotgun using Goose Shot.  You still have to deal with what is left trying to clamor after you, if you somehow do manage to blow them appart.  I thing a drum fed automatic shotgun (like a CAWS) would be great for sheer knockdown power, allowing you to clear a path to quickly run through.

I think both of these ideas would really set the Zed radar on "Red Alert!", bringing a swarm of them to your location PDQ.

The silencer issue has been beaten to death more times than Dracula.  It is not going to happen (except perhaps the pillow mod).  Just let it die :)