Spiffo's / Insanity - Further ideas

Strider

Further to my original idea to incorporate spiffo's and other dolls into player sanity. The idea being that with decreased sanity the dolls start talking to you.

You could have different types of spiffo. You could pick one up which is helpful and says things like "I think I heard a noise" and another which is evil and will say that when there is no noise and will say nothing when there is a zombie behind you.

As ever, just messing with ideas.

I'm pretty much up for anything somewhat realistic that ties into one's sanity. I'd really like (at character creation) a specific type of insanity tied to the specific character from the get go, representing the specific way said character would go insane if/when the pressure cracks them. Thus for one character, they might hallucinate or see things. One character might see zombies as normal people. One character might get talked to by dolls. You don't know until you're already insane- this adds an element of confusion to the player as well as the character, since (at least at the beginning) you have no idea how your character's insanity might manifest. This, in a way, drags you down into your character's own insanity, which is always good for immersion. Quite like the idea. Ties in a bit to my sanity suggestion here: 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/

One character might see zombies as normal people.

This is such an awesome idea.

And seeing other survivors as zombies might be another completely different one. That way you can kill people by "accident" and only when they're dead would their body show up as normal.

You'd have to look at their behaviour a little before making a decision to attack.

• 6 months later...

And seeing other survivors as zombies might be another completely different one. That way you can kill people by "accident" and only when they're dead would their body show up as normal.

You'd have to look at their behaviour a little before making a decision to attack.

Though I hope there would be a way to cure this, as doing this all of the time, would result in you not being able to trust the game, having no idea what to do and if what you see is real. That's okay for a short amount of time, but there should be some kind of pills you can get at pharmacies or hospitals to go with these traits, or moodles, if they become that. Or at least you could bring the insanity down with nice things, like books and magazines. Maybe there would be a trait called Sadist, where your happiness goes up while killing zombies and NPCs, and so would your sanity. (Or maybe insanity?) If you get infected, you could bring the insanity to a whole new level. What I mean is, if you get infected and start showing the first symptoms, you could start giving a little bit more insanity as time goes on. Slowly getting more insane as you get more infected. It should go somewhat in this order: 1: You occasionally feel dizzy with blurry vision. 2: When you look at zombies, some of them look like an undead version of your character. 3: You start seeing dead zombies or NPCs as delicious, and want to eat them. 4: The moans of zombies start to sound like speech to your character. (Speech text will appear over their head saying things like: "Join us.", "Don't be afraid.", and "Come here.") Of course these things would only be hallucinations, because zombies can't REALLY talk.

Idk, those are some ideas.

Though I hope there would be a way to cure this, as doing this all of the time, would result in you not being able to trust the game, having no idea what to do and if what you see is real. That's okay for a short amount of time, but there should be some kind of pills you can get at pharmacies or hospitals to go with these traits, or moodles, if they become that. Or at least you could bring the insanity down with nice things, like books and magazines. Maybe there would be a trait called Sadist, where your happiness goes up while killing zombies and NPCs, and so would your sanity. (Or maybe insanity?) If you get infected, you could bring the insanity to a whole new level. What I mean is, if you get infected and start showing the first symptoms, you could start giving a little bit more insanity as time goes on. Slowly getting more insane as you get more infected. It should go somewhat in this order: 1: You occasionally feel dizzy with blurry vision. 2: When you look at zombies, some of them look like an undead version of your character. 3: You start seeing dead zombies or NPCs as delicious, and want to eat them. 4: The moans of zombies start to sound like speech to your character. (Speech text will appear over their head saying things like: "Join us.", "Don't be afraid.", and "Come here.") Of course these things would only be hallucinations, because zombies can't REALLY talk.

Idk, those are some ideas.

While there're no clear indicators for insanity, maybe the player could notice that there is something odd happening.

For example, imaginary zombies disappear after a while you've "killed" them or they appear inside a "save" location, but no door or window is broken down. Or if you're attack by an imaginary zed and get hurt, your pain'll disappear once the illusion is gone.

Or your moodles could go change and twist without reason.

Or if you kill an NPC (thinking it was a zombie) the corpse of the zombie turns into the corpse of an NPC and you'll see what you've done.

While there're no clear indicators for insanity, maybe the player could notice that there is something odd happening.

For example, imaginary zombies disappear after a while you've "killed" them or they appear inside a "save" location, but no door or window is broken down. Or if you're attack by an imaginary zed and get hurt, your pain'll disappear once the illusion is gone.

Or your moodles could go change and twist without reason.

Or if you kill an NPC (thinking it was a zombie) the corpse of the zombie turns into the corpse of an NPC and you'll see what you've done.

YES YES YES YES

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this comes out soon! Imagine a NPC in your group goes insane and he tries to kill you! That would be awesome!

Also killing someone in your group because you thought they where a zombie would also rock! Imagine the drama!

''Mike, Why did you kill alexander?!''

''I thought he was a zombie!''

''Why?! He was just sitting there reading a book!''

I hope this comes out soon! Imagine a NPC in your group goes insane and he tries to kill you! That would be awesome!

Also killing someone in your group because you thought they where a zombie would also rock! Imagine the drama!

''Mike, Why did you kill alexander?!''

''I thought he was a zombie!''

''Why?! He was just sitting there reading a book!''

Lol, it would sound a bit ridiculous but if you word it right...