Everyone Loves West Point

Especially the zombies!

I made a video today detailing my plans with a new character in West Point. Spawning in a mini-hotel, my character was to make a daring supply run through the food market and hardware store, but the zombies have other plans.

Throughout this series I will be cruising the Indie Stone forums, the PZ map, the PZ wikis (there's at least two I know of o_o) and whatever else will help my character survive!

Also, please tell me how to apply sheet ropes properly ;__;

The trick with sheet ropes is that you need two of them per floor above ground level you are (not one, as is mistakenly thought) in your main inventory. You also need a nail and hammer too, obviously.

The PZWiki has the full info.

Edit: BTW, great job on using zoom in the game and also clips from the PZ Map Project to illustrate your strategy and movements. It really adds to the flow of the story of your character, I think.

I don't know why, it's kind of not logical when you think about it.

It would make more sense (to me, at least) if you required two sheet ropes for every floor you want to descend, so descending seven storey apartments would require fourteen sheet ropes, not the seven it states in the PZWiki.

As for preventing new players from making the mistake that you, I (and, surely, others) have made, I don't know. Promoting the relevant wiki page heavily would be a start - I might even put it in my signature...

I don't know why, it's kind of not logical when you think about it.

It would make more sense (to me, at least) if you required two sheet ropes for every floor you want to descend, so descending seven storey apartments would require fourteen sheet ropes, not the seven it states in the PZWiki.

As for preventing new players from making the mistake that you, I (and, surely, others) have made, I don't know. Promoting the relevant wiki page heavily would be a start - I might even put it in my signature...

That wiki does not even mention that a hammer is required.

Captain Flapjack reporting.. Am I confused, are you guys saying we need 2 length of sheet rope per floor? Because my house is a 2 story house and I only needed one length of sheet rope per story, I used 8 sheet rope length and I have 4 escape routes/entryways now. Is this a bug just some people are experiencing or am I getting lucky here?

P.s. Sorry if my post wasn't particularly helpful..  :sad: 

Captain Flapjack reporting.. Am I confused, are you guys saying we need 2 length of sheet rope per floor? Because my house is a 2 story house and I only needed one length of sheet rope per story, I used 8 sheet rope length and I have 4 escape routes/entryways now. Is this a bug just some people are experiencing or am I getting lucky here?

You're on course.  one sheet rope per floor + a nail+ a hammer.

P.s. Sorry if my post wasn't particularly helpful.. :sad:

If you used 8 sheet ropes and ended up with 4 new rope exits then how did you not use two per exit? Did you have any sheet ropes left over afterwards? If yes, then you're either a sheet rope magician or very bad at counting! If no, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us... which is it? :)

That wiki does not even mention that a hammer is required.

It does now, I just updated the wiki to amend the glaring lack of mention of a hammer requirement. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

It's actually not an error since you don't need a hammer to attach a sheet rope to a window.

Just to be certain I booted the game up to test to make sure, and it's in fact correct. You don't need a hammer, you do need two sheet ropes per floor though. I believe an old build was where it used to be that you only needed it one per floor but I think that changed rather recently? In all honesty I'm not quite sure when it changed. I'm an idiot.

If you used 8 sheet ropes and ended up with 4 new rope exits then how did you not use two per exit? Did you have any sheet ropes left over afterwards? If yes, then you're either a sheet rope magician or very bad at counting! If no, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us... which is it?  :)

I think there's actually a bit of language confusion going on around here. I realised I'm a liar above, each floor requires one sheet rope. So one sheet for ground floor, one sheet for top floor of his house. It's not two ropes per floor.

So in actuality the wiki page was 100% correct and didn't really need altering, we were just interpreting the information differently. I'll clean up the language on the page to make more sense.

MOAR EDITS: I think the reason is we only see it as going down one floor, to the ground floor. However the game must count the ground floor as it's own floor, so requires a rope for the ground floor, but also sees the floor you are currently in as an entire floor that requires a sheet rope as well. It makes sense it's just hard to explain. I reverted the wiki edits and will sort out wording.

ANOTHER EDIT! STOP CONNALL:

This post is kind of a mess sorry about that. To put it simply why it didn't work in the video is you needed two sheet ropes. That's all. I think the problem might stem that the first storey of the house is what we consider the ground floor and when you go up a floor, that's the first floor. So I think maybe that's where confusion stems from by how many sheet ropes are necessary? I guess the best way is just to say "How many storeys is the house = the number of sheet ropes."

This post is kind of a mess sorry about that. To put it simply why it didn't work in the video is you needed two sheet ropes. That's all. I think the problem might stem that the first storey of the house is what we consider the ground floor and when you go up a floor, that's the first floor. So I think maybe that's where confusion stems from by how many sheet ropes are necessary? I guess the best way is just to say "How many storeys is the house = the number of sheet ropes."

Right, so I'll need two by default, is that correct? : ) 

Right, so I'll need two by default, is that correct? : ) 

Yes. That's correct.

While trying to put this whole thing to bed, I went here because I know there's a three storey building to test sheet ropes with, and it's close to my current safehouse.

For the record, I could make and attach/hang a three storey sheet rope with three sheet ropes, one nail, and no hammer.

What I could not then do was to climb out of the window and descend to the bottom without the game crashing on me... bummer.

Oh well, at least when I restarted it took me back to where I was when I opened the game - that I can live with.

But it does seem counter-intuitive to need an extra sheet rope for the ground floor, just my opinion, is all...

While trying to put this whole thing to bed, I went here because I know there's a three storey building to test sheet ropes with, and it's close to my current safehouse.

For the record, I could make and attach/hang a three storey sheet rope with three sheet ropes, one nail, and no hammer.

What I could not then do was to climb out of the window and descend to the bottom without the game crashing on me... bummer.

Oh well, at least when I restarted it took me back to where I was when I opened the game - that I can live with.

But it does seem counter-intuitive to need an extra sheet rope for the ground floor, just my opinion, is all...

I believe that it may have to do with the isometric view point that kind of works into the problem. You could argue that one sheet rope is only enough to get down 3/4 of the way and need the other one to get down the further 1/4. Which is also needed to climb back up it, so there's that.

I can go to your building and try and replicate your results regarding the crash. Can you tell me which window it is?

I believe that it may have to do with the isometric view point that kind of works into the problem. You could argue that one sheet rope is only enough to get down 3/4 of the way and need the other one to get down the further 1/4. Which is also needed to climb back up it, so there's that.

I can go to your building and try and replicate your results regarding the crash. Can you tell me which window it is?

Yeah, that sheet rope situation is a weird one, but as long as it's made as clear as possible then I reckon all is good.

Re: the three storey building, it was the wall facing west (I believe) or to the top left of the screen as you look out of it, and it was the second window from the left on that wall.

Hope you can replicate or disprove this issue.

I'm glad that I played a part in bringing this conundrum to light :D

To be fair it wasn't a conundrum people just getting confused with each other. At least a couple of pages got updated. :P

I also just realised in the OP you say you're using two wikis. I imagine pzwiki.net is one, but what's the other?

To be fair it wasn't a conundrum people just getting confused with each other. At least a couple of pages got updated. :P

I also just realised in the OP you say you're using two wikis. I imagine pzwiki.net is one, but what's the other?

http://projectzomboid.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Zomboid_Wiki

It says on the front page   101 articles since June 2011

http://projectzomboid.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Zomboid_Wiki

It says on the front page   101 articles since June 2011

Yeah, the admins haven't been active since 2011 time. While I know pzwiki,net isn't perfect, I would hope it's a little better than that one. :P

P.s. Sorry if my post wasn't particularly helpful.. :sad:

If you used 8 sheet ropes and ended up with 4 new rope exits then how did you not use two per exit? Did you have any sheet ropes left over afterwards? If yes, then you're either a sheet rope magician or very bad at counting! If no, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us... which is it? :)

I meant that, my house was two stories, and I used one sheet rope per floor, so one for the ground and one for first floor (upstairs).

I apologize as I thought you meant that for every floor it used 2 sheet rope, as in to do what I did, it would've taken 16 sheet rope lengths! Anyways, I'm glad this is resolved :)

Archived