The next big thing for modding!

lemmy101

Since MP is on the horizon, we're going to be pushing hunting RIGHT up the priority list (this will not involve me beyond the initial set up explained here, so no NPC hit guys :P) since at present we reach the point where obtaining your own non looted food will become a requirement much quicker and just having farming alone may not make for as varied gameplay for fortress building once the shelves have run bare..

SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

LuaEntities!

A LuaEntity is another of the family of Player, Survivor, Zombie. But, as the name implies, its guts are lua driven not java driven.

Since we'll be writing the huntable animals in Lua and not Java, you'll be able to derive your own LuaEntity derived lua class and have your own update, postrender, state machine and all that jazz required to make a fully functional AI driven thing in the zomboid world, along with necessary knobs and buttons to allow you to transmit their states over the internet for MP. They will have pathfind states and other commonly required states, allow animation, 3D models or sprites, and all that goodness.

What will this mean? Who was it who wanted to do triffids? or daleks? or spitters/hunters/smokers or whatever else? Yup.

Hurrah! Hopefully this will open up a whole new dimension of zomboid modding, even total conversions, where zombies can be disabled and you really have the power to make substantially different game-play. I'm sure that these LuaEntities could be used in ways we wouldn't expect too, not being just limited to AI beings in principle.

Good ... good. All according to plan ...

The ZombieAI will stay in the Java part though I suppose?

If I'm understanding it right. If you wanted zombies to behave in a different way you could write a whole new Lua Entity for them, add some options to the sandbox menu & spawn your new zeds instead.

Come on Demon Plague  ^_^

Dragon zombies !

Zombie Dragons  :o

Almost  :blush:

That's so great ! I already see mini-games like playing hold'em poker for stuff with other survivors :wub: ... things could go bad :D

So many interactions will be possible, good job :)

A question though :

Will we be able to call our own java code (pure AI side for example) from lua ? Let's say I have an AI written in java with serialized objects (real time/online is not always efficient) could I set it up from lua ? Cuz doing a full learning (poker) AI in lua is gonna be hard.

Did I understand correctly that the zombies, player and survivors are atm java driven and that will not change? Or will we be able to edit also their ai via lua code in addition to the newly added animals etc.? In other words will the z,p,s also be LuaEntities (in addition to java or just lua or not at all)?

Anyways awesome news!!

I haven't read the book but I have watched the movie!! I love reading more than anything though... my favoriye entertainment mediums in order are reading, CGI, anime, games, series, movies and then RL hehe I'm actually only 27 and watched day of the triffids just because it was an epic idea and couldnt be any worse than a modern day B movie (sharktopus and arctic blast immediately spring to mind)