The game needs this feature.

Irken Empire

Teaching players what you already know for an XP multiplier would be so good and helpful especially when a single desyncing problem could get you bitten/killed on the server. Depending whether you took the slow reader/nothing or fast reader it's still take you over 10 real life minutes to read just the beginners book, here's the scale down below.

Real-time spent reading books on normal speed
Skill Rank Pages Fast Reader Trait No traits Slow Reader
1-2 220 12m50s 18m20s 23m50s
3-4 260 15m10s 21m40s 28m10s
5-6 300 17m30s 25m 32m30s
7-8 340 19m50s 28m20s 36m50s
9-10 380 22m10s 31m20s 41m10s

To make matters worse every death you have to repeat the process which when done more then 1-2 times could get really annoying, it's time consuming and I doubt that everyone has 30 minutes just to sit/stand and read a book and leave their base to get bitten. That's where this feature comes in, if your friends is a good carpenter and obviously still alive you could engage in a timed anction similar to trading where your characters theoretically talks (how to barricade, hot to make a table, chair, how many nails, you'll need a hammer, saw etc...) with your "source of knowledge" this actiond would last 1-2 real life minutes or 10-20ish game minutes giving you the xp multiplier for the current levels you're on. It doesn't have to be 100% of the multiplier as if you read a book, max 50% and above, more experienced characters give you more and lesser exp. give you less, also someone already has to go therough the pain of reading all the books.
This feature is not necessary in any way, but I feel like this game needs a huge quality of life improvement like this one, I personaly wouldn't want to even think about spending 30 minutes reading a book just so I could open the door and get bitten by a corner zombie and loose all of the progress, but here we are, and a little change would be appreciated.

I like the idea of players teaching others. It seems natural that in a real life survival situation, the more people that know how to do something the better. I feel like there would be a limit though. The amount of knowledge that can be passed should be limited by the completed levels the teacher has. For example, if the teacher is sharing their level 4 skills, the learning player should only receive the bonus up to level 2 or 3. As someone that has tried to teach people to play various games (not that it's really the same, but stay with me), teaching someone what you know, doesn't automatically make them equally skilled. Sure they have access to the same information, however that doesn't afford them the hands on experience and subtleties for that skill set. 

On the topic of books and reading, why not have the ability to read books out loud? All players would basically be reading the same book at once, while only one is basically acting as a tv. If there is a balance concern, perhaps blocking multiple players from reading out loud together to abuse the mechanic. This would simply be took much noise and distraction to actually learn any useful information anyway if we're being realistic. 

While it's not exactly what you're talking about, there is a journal mod that allows you to recover skill levels. The journal must be crafted and you set the percentage of xp returned.

7 hours ago, LLcraigJ said:

The amount of knowledge that can be passed should be limited by the completed levels the teacher has.

That's why I said that for the balance you wouldn't get 100% of the xp boost/multiplier, but rather 50% of more, now depending on the teachers skill is rather an interesting concept, but it'd be cool if slow learner/fasat learner or no learning trait had an effect on the boost too.
Reading out loud would still force you to idle for a long time,  or bound you to the the camping place, but since it's not you, you could do some storing/organizing meanwhile the other player is reading and you're listening for an xp boost, though still it'd be nice how have this feature because why not?

Would you consider editing your title into something that is more informative? This might help people find this thread. If you need help, there's a useful thread here: 

I think this is a great idea! Of course people learn skills from each other. Changing a tire is much easier after someone tells you how, people learn how to weld in classrooms, first aid is taught by medics, etc. 

This would really add value to cooperation on MP servers and when playing with friends!

Edited by redscarf