Cooking with a Campfire

PlasticandRage

Can someone walk me through a step by step on how to do this properly? Believe it or not I've never done it before, and while I initially thought it'd be pretty self explanatory, I'm having trouble making it work. Is it lit the second you put it down? Or you have to place it then light it, then put food in? Or what? The order my action menu items are coming up just isn't making sense to me, and I keep getting it to the point where I think it's ready, I drop food into it, and the food just disappears. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just bugged or what. Also is there a separate sprite for a lit campfire? In other words once you've lit it does it visually appear lit or is it just a static thing visually?

See http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Campfire_kit.

1. Make a campfire kit
  2. Make kindling
  3. place campfire kit
  4. light campfire with kindling
  5. add a plank as fuel
  6. place your item in the campfire wand watch closely until done
  7. Remove cooked item
  8. Put out fire

The campfire container icon inventory is a shelf. You transfer the item to be cooked the same as if you were putting in a container. Sometimes kindling doesn't work. It frequently works more than once bu eventually fails/disappears. If you try to light a fire with kindling and it does not light then make new kindling. 

I didn't add a plank as fuel. That's what I missed. Do you just drop it onto the shelf icon or is there an action menu option for it?

You need a plank in your inventory. Right click on the fire for get the "add plank as fuel".  You can also add a log as fuel if you have one but it does not make it cook any faster. I would assume that a log would make your fire burn longer than a plank but I uncertain if that has been implemented. 

yeah, you might as well just use a plank then, as opposed to potentially wasting the other 2 you'd get for sawing a log. Awesome. Thank you. That was definitely my problem.

Can you cook using a campfire in the rain? Does anybody know?

Rain will put out your campfire. I need to do more testing but I know you can build a campfire in a garage and it may be possible to light a campfire and cook in a garage when it is raining.

P.S. You don't get wet in a garage. Maybe it keeps the campfire dry.

Apparently, adding fuel to campfires does not make the campfire burn longer in the current build (21), but will be part of the next release.

See http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4391-upcoming-beta-release/?p=58924

• Campfire context menu now has submenus for "Add Fuel" and "Light" so you can choose exactly which inventory item to use. You already could choose the item for "Add Fuel".
  • Campfires are a bit nicer. They have an actual animated fire sprite and will set the player/zombies on fire if stepped on. Light cast by the fire goes on/off as it should.  Adding fuel to a campfire increases the amount of time it will burn as well as the light radius.  A new file camping_fuel.lua lists the different fuel types and how much burn-time each is worth."

Fuel added to campfires will disappear after some time though, giving the impression that something is happening.

Lastly, I can't seem to place a campfire on any indoor floor tile, but haven't tried garages, will give that a try.

I can say for sure that you can't place them on concrete. I know because the reason I'm using one now is because I'm trying a new safehouse in the southern Muldraugh bar, which doesn't have an oven. I tried to place my campfire right outside my front door, on the parking lot, and I couldn't. I had to bring out one of my sandbags and dump some dirt on the pavement before I could place my fire.

In which case you might be able to dump some dirt indoors and place a fire? I'm not sure. I'll give it a shot and post my results.

It worked. You can place a fire indoors if you dump dirt or sand first. Not sure about gravel because I didn't have any.

I can say for sure that you can't place them on concrete. I know because the reason I'm using one now is because I'm trying a new safehouse in the southern Muldraugh bar, which doesn't have an oven. I tried to place my campfire right outside my front door, on the parking lot, and I couldn't. I had to bring out one of my sandbags and dump some dirt on the pavement before I could place my fire.

In which case you might be able to dump some dirt indoors and place a fire? I'm not sure. I'll give it a shot and post my results.

It worked. You can place a fire indoors if you dump dirt or sand first. Not sure about gravel because I didn't have any.

Thanks for this tip, I'm going to try it (but not in my safehouse!).

Quick question: once a sandbag is empty, are you able to fill it with dirt, sand or gravel? I'm most interested in the dirt, since I know about sandbags and gravelbags, but not dirtbags.

Yeah, I was too worried I'd start a fire in my safehouse too. I placed it and then picked it right back up.

You sure are. The most major difference that I've noticed though is once you place dirt you can't pick it back up again and have the dirt square disappear, like sand and gravel. I think it's because the game detects dirt as the bottom most layer, ie it's what you'll always find underneath sand or gravel that you pick up, so once you dump a dirt square whatever you dumped it on top of essentially disappears. So in terms of filling and emptying a sandbag, you can do that infinitely, but once you dump a dirt square it's where you put it for good. Know what I mean?

I'm not sure about gravel, but another neat thing that I'm just learning about dirt/sand squares that you can transport via sandbags, is that you can farm on them. I'm not sure if that would work indoors, but it works really nicely for being able to place your farms wherever you want them, like on roofs of buildings.

Another thing that would be good to know, which I honestly haven't tested yet, is if you can combine dirtbags, sandbags, and gravelbags to make walls. I know once you pick up a specific material the bag you're filling becomes labeled with that material. For example, you pick up dirt and your sandbag becomes a dirtbag. It'd be nice to know if you can use combinations of the three to make your walls. Or if each has different properties, or different health levels as walls or what. I'm not sure about that one.

Follow invaderjims first bit of advice but make about 4-5 pieces of kindling... it sometimes doesnt work with just one. Youre right with the farming indoors, I think. But I only think this because I know you can abuse wood flooring to stay dry in the rain even if its just one sqaure outside...

Oh yeah... make sure you have a lighter or matches in your inventory too ^_^

Follow invaderjims first bit of advice but make about 4-5 pieces of kindling... it sometimes doesnt work with just one. Youre right with the farming indoors, I think. But I only think this because I know you can abuse wood flooring to stay dry in the rain even if its just one sqaure outside...

Oh yeah... make sure you have a lighter or matches in your inventory too ^_^

Are the lighter or matches good for anything other than lighting candles right now? I didn't think they were, must check recipes for them tomorrow.

Archived