Streamer Privacy Options

Kallvin

Hello Indie Stone and community!

I have been checking out this game with the latest build and I must say, job well done so far!

Our little group has brought some awareness to the game in our niche community and I was surprised at the turnout for a stream I did with the game.

One minor issue I seem to have is privacy of IP data being displayed on the join window and the message of the day if you are hosting the game.

Anywhere there is data available to the public the streamer must constantly check and balance their broadcast to ensure private data is not available, which can be a very dicey move.

For instance, I happened to know beforehand that the message of the day displayed your IP address due to being lucky and watching a closed broadcast with another friend. Had I not known these things I would have run into an issue.

Secondly, imagine a scenario where the player is disconnected from the server and scrambles to rejoin the game, not remembering the join menu clearly displays critical information for all eyes to see.

If we could find a way to obfuscate this with additional layers of protection I would be very pleased.

Such as but not limited to:

1. Remove the IP address from the default message of the day window.

2. Create a secondary window for login information on the join and or host screen of the game.

3. Perhaps make suggestions 1 and 2 optional by selecting "Streamer Mode" somewhere in your user configuration settings.

Thank you for hearing me out and if anyone has advice on obfuscating this information easily I am more than happy to hear you out.

This is a very good thing to bring to the attention of the developers. As someone who has watched multiplayer Minecraft videos, this is something I've seen them struggle with as well. While videos can have this information easily edited out, livestreams do not have this option. The must take advanced preventative measures, as a simple mistake could lead to servers and personal information being compromised. Granted, it is not the developers responsibility to secure your information. With the growing popularity that PZ has been experiencing, this might be the time to address these concerns.

Edit - My only suggestion is from watching archived twitch streams. A streamer/youtuber Northerlion, fades in a full screen overlay any time there is something that needs to be blocked out. If I'm not mistaken, I believe he uses OBS if that helps at all.

Edited by LLcraigJ
Suggestion