Mods mess up icons for new items

WrenchInThePlan

Question

Installing and enabling too many mods seems to break the new item's icons (items like the wooden cutting board and crossword magazine display a ? icon rather than the proper item's icon). This also seems to mess up multiplayer - when I join servers, I can't open up radial menus, the map, or view my character's belt/quickslots.

I'm afraid I don't know what mod seems to cause it - I'm not even sure it's any specific mod that does it. But it does happen.

The only thing that seems to fix the problem is unsubscribing from all mods. However, installing and enabling too many mods at once seems to cause the issue to return.

I'm using Windows 10 and playing the most recent version. I haven't had the issue pop up yet since this most recent unsubscribing thingie, but if it does, I'll be sure to upload the console.txt.

Anything I can do to help prevent/resolve this issue? What other information should I provide?

4 answers to this question

Managed to get the error to pop up again. Check near the bottom of the text file, since that's where the most recent errors are.

I also tried increasing the RAM allocated to PZ to around 4GB, but that didn't stop the error once it had already happened.

Disabling all mods also didn't stop the error once it had already happened.

I'm really not sure if I want to go through the trouble of unsubscribing and resubscribing mods... But I don't think I have much of a choice.

Any advice?

LAST-MINUTE ADDITION:
And now after restarting a few times (and limiting how much RAM my browser can use), everything seems to be fine.

I have no idea what to think anymore.

console.txt

EDIT:
After subscribing to two more mods (Blowtorch Gates and the Radio Frequency Manager), the error is back.

So you have 2 choices here: play without these mods as they do obviously cause errors. Or play with these mods but face an ever increasing chance of game crashing etc. etc.

Also, you're better off rising this issue with mod creators.

My first suggestion would be to turn them all off and one by one turn them on until one triggers something. Keep checking the rest to see if any others stand out as red flags. That might help narrow down where the problem is.

6 hours ago, WrenchInThePlan said:

Installing and enabling too many mods seems to break the new item's icons (items like the wooden cutting board and crossword magazine display a ? icon rather than the proper item's icon). This also seems to mess up multiplayer - when I join servers, I can't open up radial menus, the map, or view my character's belt/quickslots.

I'm afraid I don't know what mod seems to cause it - I'm not even sure it's any specific mod that does it. But it does happen.

The only thing that seems to fix the problem is unsubscribing from all mods. However, installing and enabling too many mods at once seems to cause the issue to return.

I'm using Windows 10 and playing the most recent version. I haven't had the issue pop up yet since this most recent unsubscribing thingie, but if it does, I'll be sure to upload the console.txt.

Anything I can do to help prevent/resolve this issue? What other information should I provide?

This can happen if some mod replaces these items in the game. This is the most common case of such an error. This can happen even if there is only one mod, the number is not important here.

In the case of multi-user servers, everything depends on the creators of these servers. They should carefully ensure that there are no conflicts between the modifications they use.

I know a lot of servers where 70+ mods are used. This of course causes some errors or gives an additional load on the game, but has no direct relation to this error.

To avoid this problem, I would advise increasing the RAM allocated to PZ to at least 4GB or more. And keep a close eye on the mods that you use.
If you don't really delve into the subtleties of modifications - give up mods that replace the standard game files.

Archived