[Request] House randomizer for map editor

saruso

I'm trying to create a small town in my map, but it takes an incredible amount of time to create every single house of the map. We need a program that will allow us to create random houses in seconds or it will be imposible for us to create a rich, large and diverse map which we will enjoy playing. Other option is that we get access to the houses already created in the game.

Just checked out the .tbx files for interest. They are pretty simply formatted and this would probably be reasonably easy to achieve for the right person.

I can't help but think that most of the output would be pretty lacking, to the point where it MAY less work to just create 10-15 reasonably simple and straightforward house types, then save down 10-15 iterations of each house type (rotated, furnished, decoration change, small tweaks to walls, little extensions etc.).

You could probably get 100-255 'different' houses in about 15-20 hours work, all hand crafted. Granted it might need a briefcase full of Orbital mix-tapes, various synthetic chemicals and some kind of Dwarven Martial Trance if you wanted to attack it in one go, but I reckon you'd get there.

I bet it would take at least that in programmer time to get a first iteration that would produce absolute garbage, lacking in soul as well as coherence.

I'm more inclined to suggest we need a 'Drive For Mundanity' in the buildings section, in preference to a random house creator.

(Would be cool to see somebody have a crack at it, though).

B-but, building the buildings is 1/3 of the fun of map making :D

What we REALLY need is a road generator. The real pain is making all of the side walks, street lines and cracks and details into the roads, I swear it takes like 1/4 of the map making process / time.

B-but, building the buildings is 1/3 of the fun of map making :D

What we REALLY need is a road generator. The real pain is making all of the side walks, street lines and cracks and details into the roads, I swear it takes like 1/4 of the map making process / time.

True...we could use a road generator,Also the ability to customize or add zombies/spawners EX: adding a new zombie,will look like a costruction worker,Set a spawn point on a construction site so only that type of zombies spawn there, similar to left 4 dead campaign...

Imagine the possibilities nurse,cop,hazmat,or a zombie wearing a spiffo restaurant uniform :lol:

I have been working on a farm generator that outputs some pretty nice looking fields. I think I can alter the algorithm I use to automatically add lines and other accessories to roads. The main limiter there though is that I cannot seem to grok how the rules.txt works. If someone can show me how to add very simple (This color becomes This tile on This layer) rules, then I can get it working. Essentially I can generate any feature that relies on distance from closest edge and distance from closest intersection.

I have made a few abortive attempts at a house generator and I have several different ways that might work. The problem is that I have no clear direction and don't do enough mapping myself to know what exactly is needed. If someone can give me a good specification of exactly what they want then I can probably get something half decent put together.