Project Cherno *WIP {Updated: with new images}

grivcin

So I've been seeing some of the recent maps being made and it motivated me to make this huge map. Still don't really know the dimensions or if it will even turn out right in the map editor when done. It's the map based on the game Arma II or DAYZ standalone. Still, since you can't really use your own maps in game I guess it's pointless until that day comes. Also just waiting until we get the ability to make curved roads and that sort of thing but during this time I'd thought I'd show what the potential may be. Hopefully if things do go in that direction I'd probably start from scratch. LOL. Anyways just wanted to show this and if anyone could help me out with dimensions and pixels and how big roads should be compared to dirt roads and building sizes and so forth. I'd appreciate some tips. Will be making some cool buildings once I get the hang of the map editor, hopefully.

post-3723-0-06053000-1390692167_thumb.pn

Update:

This map is HUGE. updated the map a bit today. A bit more of touching up the Main and Veg maps with dense forests, building placeholder and whatnot.

Here are some pictures to show how its coming along.

http://imgur.com/a/8O2vN#y1AEL22

it does, it sits right in the center of the tile, so unless you want uneven lanes

Umm... you're not using the right line then... There's the draw edge tool that's in TileZed and it is used to draw the traffic lines. It draws in the side of the tile.

Here's a pic:

line_zps963c65df.png

Thanks guys. Also when I get it finished what are the possibilities of getting some help with buildings? Anyone willing...?

Also Ive seen some of the main highway roads in the muldraugh map and they seem to be around 14 px and aome normal street roads around 3 - 8 px. I used the ruler in PS. Could be my mistake though

Yup, the large highway in Muldraugh is 14px 6 on each side and 2 in the middle. Also most of the 2 way roads are 6px and one way are 3px. I'd deduct that when cars are added they are around 3x2 3x4 tiles in size according to the existing parking lots. I use that as a sort of a frame when I build my roads and streets.

EDIT: wrong size on the parking lots :)

Yeah, not a problem.

You could draw straight in to TileZed from nothing if you wanted - just the BMP to TMX can be much easier. I think there is a handy paint tool in TileZed which respects the blends rules - use this for good looking and easy tweaks.

Bear in mind any little tweaks will be overwritten by any subsequent BMP->TMX calls, so just so long as you control your workflow adequately, you can pretty much do what you want :)

Yeah, not a problem.

You could draw straight in to TileZed from nothing if you wanted - just the BMP to TMX can be much easier. I think there is a handy paint toolif in TileZed which respects the blends rules - use this for good looking and easy tweaks.

Bear in mind any little tweaks will be overwritten by any subsequent BMP->TMX calls, so just so long as you control your workflow adequately, you can pretty much do what you want :)

rreason I ask is when I first went into the map editor. I tried adding a road once but nothing would appear so its a question of what layer can I paint on and what tools should be used to paint onto the map. It appears as If whenever I paint either on the topmost or middle or under the floor layer nothing appears. Noob, I know. And when placing buildings sometimes I want to add some asphalt or other under the building, you know as a noob trying out the tools. Hopefully I get cracking at it to build some of the buildings I have setup already, but for the life of me I dont understand the roofing.LOL. Im still very new to this. But i appreciate any tips. Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to help with buildings, I am not as good as the other guys in the Forum yet but I like the editor so far and I have enough experience with other editors in other games, How about you just tell me what kind of building you need / want and I give it a try?

Anyways, Really like what you are doing, keep it up!