So happy that multiplayer is on the way..

RyukIsGod

I hope the focus is more on cooperative multiplayer than PvP. I'm kind of sick of 24/7 kill-on-sight survival , games where everyone shoots and asks questions later. I already play enough shooters to scratch that itch, and I would appreciate a multiplayer game with more thinking and humanity involved, at least as a viable option xD

Well personally i just want NPCs to run my crops, guard my base, and fight zombies by my side (as well as function as somebody to carry my loot when I go looting). I could care less if the rest of them functions or not, but yeah, i am sure others feel NPCs should be more like fellow players that making it much more complicated.

So you want the game to be easier on you. I think that's the reason why people want NPCs now and don't want mutiplayer. NPCs shouldn't be some dude you save, so now he endlessly grows your crops. The game is designed for you to die, maybe by an hungry zombie, or maybe a thirsty survivor, or how about a crazed maniac. Allowing a NPC oaf to go fight and pickup stuff for you without second thought is illogical.

Why should another survivor risk his life so that you can have a little more to carry and a 2nd bat to swing. Shouldn't they ask for things in return like, you know humanly things that people need to survive on? Don't you think survivors are unrecognizable at first glance to savage bandits? Anyone walking would seem like a threat, NPCs might shoot first if you don't shout.

I feel this is quite true. NPC-s aren't going to be slaves to you :P

Personally I'd actually like to be one of those survivors who stays at home more, tends to the crops, etc, etc. I prefer that kind of household role for some reason.

I hope the focus is more on cooperative multiplayer than PvP. I'm kind of sick of 24/7 kill-on-sight survival , games where everyone shoots and asks questions later. I already play enough shooters to scratch that itch, and I would appreciate a multiplayer game with more thinking and humanity involved, at least as a viable option xD

A simple option setting for the host could be the solution to that.

Something like: PvP    .... maybe?

But hey, it's just a social society experiement thingy. What do expect in a real zombie apocalypse? You won't have a checkbox like this then.

I think I've said this before, but if I'm not mistaken the plan is to make PvP up to the server operators at first. I mean servers will be whitelisted anyway, so I imagine you'll be told PvP is or isn't allowed before joining.

Names above heads are based on line of sight and unfortunately so is text presented above a persons head (which is a bit of a problem at the mo.) as seen in this video:

I think text above the head should be visible based on range of hearing (shout versus talk versus whisper, etc) and if you get a radio you can then see text chat in the lower left corner for the whole world, but I bet the already have a plan like that (if not I will make a suggestion after multiplayer is out.

Hopefully something like that will happen at some point, but don't really know.

I can't wait for all of the emergent ethical dilemmas that will come with NPCs.

Me: How's it going?

NPC #1: We need to talk.

Me: Why?  What's wrong?

NPC #1 (whispering): There's a rumor going around.  It sounds like NPC #2 has his own plans for leading the colony.

Me (whispering): NPC #2? No way.  He's been a good friend and he's had my back for a long time.

NPC #1 (whispering): That's what I said.  But apparently, he's still angry about our focus on seeds over ammunition.

Me (whispering): He's been unusually quiet these past few days...

NPC #1 (whispering): It gets worse.  Apparently NPC #3 and NPC #4 have joined his scheme.  They are planning to leave the colony soon - with half of our supplies!  In particular, they are going to insist on taking half of the garbage bags.

Me (voice raising): If they do that, we won't be able to put together a rain barrel!  We all need to pool our resources or we are all in danger of dying of dehydration!

NPC #1 (whispering): They think they can acquire enough garbage bags on their own to make their own water container.

Me (whispering): Bastards!  If they leave, not only will we not have a water supply, but two of our strongest fighters will be gone as well.  NPC #5 is still sick.  This isn't right.

NPC #1 (whispering): I know boss.  That's why I had to tell you.

Me: Thanks for the update.  We will talk again soon.

2 hours later

Me: Got a sec?

NPC #2: Sure.  What's up boss?

Me: I've been talking with NPC #5.  She's still really sick but she's had moments of lucidity.  Remember when we were back near Cortman Medical and we agreed to disagree on grabbing the seeds instead of the ammo?

NPC #2: Uh...yeah...

Me: Good news.  Apparently the house directly to the West was owned by a gun nut.  NPC#5 saw a large cache of guns and ammo in the master bedroom on the second floor.  I need you to go get it.

NPC #2: Uh...that area was crawling with zombies...

Me: I know, but the house is empty and untouched.  That's why I need you to go alone.  Stealth over brute force this time.

NPC #2: I don't know.  Sounds really dangerous...

Me: Look, I know you are still pissed about not getting the ammo the other day. You've been silent for the past few days.  And I'm fairly certain that NPC #3 and NPC #4 agree with you that ammo is a colony priority.  Look, I'm extending an olive branch here.  Leave the fortifications to us and go grab the stash.  I already talked to NPC #3 and NPC #4, and we are all in agreement you are the best at stealth missions.  Didn't you say you were a self taught ninja in high school?  I think you told me that before.

NPC #2 (blushing): Yeah but...man, I dunno...

Me: Well, do we need ammo or not?

NPC #2: Yes, but...

Me: Ok then.  Grab a bottle of water and get going.  It will be dark soon.

NPC #2: Uh...yeah...ok.

Me: NPC #3 and NPC #4 look up to you.  They need to see your confidence here. It's important for our group that they believe in you.

NPC #2: Yes. Yes they do. Alright, I'll be back in a couple hours.  Then you and I need to have a talk.

Me: You got it. How am I going to argue with the guy who single handedly saved us all by getting the guns and ammo?  Our past disagreements will be water under the bridge.

NPC #2: You sure this house is empty?

Me: I've never known NPC #5 to ever tell a lie.  If anyone knows that area, it's her.  She's been on her own for weeks over there.

NPC #2: Alright, see you in a couple.

1 hour later...

Me: Tell me again about the house to the West of Cortman?

NPC #5 (groggily): It's not only empty, it's a fucking death trap.  I think the entire neighborhood hid out in that house's Master Bedroom before they all died.  It was pure chance that I saw them in there. I was about to open the door and go in but decided at the last minute to slide the dental mirror under the door for a quick peak inside first.  I saw at least eight of them in there.  Silent as fuck, too.  If I had opened the door, not only would I have been rushed by zombies but the stupid floorplan wouldn't have given me any room to escape.

NPC #3 (entering room with NPC #4): Has anyone seen NPC #2?

Me: Yes.  He told me he was going back to the area around Cortman for the ammo.  I tried to talk him out of it but he's been super pissed at me over the whole issue.

NPC #5 (sitting up): He better stay away from that house we were talking about.  Stupid thing has a house alarm on a ten minute delay. That's how I got hurt jumping out of the 2nd floor window.  The alarm went off and hundreds of those zombies descended on the house from all over.

Me: I hope NPC #2 knows what he's doing...

NPC #1 (whispering): There's a rumor going around.  It sounds like NPC #2 has his own plans for leading the colony.

Me (whispering): NPC #2? No way.  He's been a good friend and he's had my back for a long time.

NPC #1 (whispering): That's what I said.  But apparently, he's still angry about our focus on seeds over ammunition.

NPC #1 (whispering): It gets worse.  Apparently NPC #3 and NPC #4 have joined his scheme.  They are planning to leave the colony soon - with half of our supplies!  In particular, they are going to insist on taking half of the garbage bags.

Me (voice raising): If they do that, we won't be able to put together a rain barrel!  We all need to pool our resources or we are all in danger of dying of dehydration!

NPC #1 (whispering): They think they can acquire enough garbage bags on their own to make their own water container.

Me (whispering): Bastards!  If they leave, not only will we not have a water supply, but two of our strongest fighters will be gone as well.  NPC #5 is still sick.  This isn't right.

2 hours later

Me: I've been talking with NPC #5.  She's still really sick but she's had moments of lucidity.  Remember when we were back near Cortman Medical and we agreed to disagree on grabbing the seeds instead of the ammo?

Me: Good news.  Apparently the house directly to the West was owned by a gun nut.  NPC#5 saw a large cache of guns and ammo in the master bedroom on the second floor.  I need you to go get it.

Me: I know, but the house is empty and untouched.  That's why I need you to go alone.  Stealth over brute force this time.

Me: Look, I know you are still pissed about not getting the ammo the other day. You've been silent for the past few days.  And I'm fairly certain that NPC #3 and NPC #4 agree with you that ammo is a colony priority.  Look, I'm extending an olive branch here.  Leave the fortifications to us and go grab the stash.  I already talked to NPC #3 and NPC #4, and we are all in agreement you are the best at stealth missions.  Didn't you say you were a self taught ninja in high school?  I think you told me that before.

Me: NPC #3 and NPC #4 look up to you.  They need to see your confidence here. It's important for our group that they believe in you.

NPC #2: Yes. Yes they do. Alright, I'll be back in a couple hours.  Then you and I need to have a talk.

Me: You got it. How am I going to argue with the guy who single handedly saved us all by getting the guns and ammo?  Our past disagreements will be water under the bridge.

Me: I've never known NPC #5 to ever tell a lie.  If anyone knows that area, it's her.  She's been on her own for weeks over there.

1 hour later...

NPC #5 (groggily): It's not only empty, it's a fucking death trap.  I think the entire neighborhood hid out in that house's Master Bedroom before they all died.  It was pure chance that I saw them in there. I was about to open the door and go in but decided at the last minute to slide the dental mirror under the door for a quick peak inside first.  I saw at least eight of them in there.  Silent as fuck, too.  If I had opened the door, not only would I have been rushed by zombies but the stupid floorplan wouldn't have given me any room to escape.

Me: Yes.  He told me he was going back to the area around Cortman for the ammo.  I tried to talk him out of it but he's been super pissed at me over the whole issue.

NPC #5 (sitting up): He better stay away from that house we were talking about.  Stupid thing has a house alarm on a ten minute delay. That's how I got hurt jumping out of the 2nd floor window.  The alarm went off and hundreds of those zombies descended on the house from all over.

W-what is this?! Something from the devs or of your own creation? 

Either way, it really opened up what I thought was possible with the NPCs. . . Man, this game is epic . . .

2 hours later

1 hour later...

W-what is this?! Something from the devs or of your own creation? 

Either wait, it really opened up what I thought was possible with the NPCs. . . Man, this game is epic . . .

No no no. Totally my own mad ravings and wishful thinking.  Although the dev team does have a writer on staff so who knows?!?!?!

There is a Mondoid from January 2013 that talks about the dev goals for NPCs.  The desire is to have them be dynamic characters.  So an NPC that spends a lot of time with another NPC could fall in love or end up hating him or her.  Personalities will clash, etc.  My script above is more of an RPG interpretation of what I hope gameplay will be like.

Well personally i just want NPCs to run my crops, guard my base, and fight zombies by my side (as well as function as somebody to carry my loot when I go looting). I could care less if the rest of them functions or not, but yeah, i am sure others feel NPCs should be more like fellow players that making it much more complicated.

So basically, you want them to be more like fellow players... :P

Nah, managing a group with complex dialog just like players sounds more irritating than fun. I mean I want them to be for or against me, I do not want a complex catacomb of who shot the sheriff dialog to go about NPCs (sounds annoying and frustrating at best) maybe some changing sides and stuff happening, but nothing super annoying, leave that to multiplayer stuff.

At the very least I want somebody to run the crops, that part of the game is the most needy boring part in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with complex dialog and made up confusion. If you made your NPC buddy do the gardening, he would, but he'd ask for something to read because he'll be waiting around alot, maybe ask for a bottle of whiskey so he can drink while watching stuff grow.

I am merely suggesting that NPCs would need things to in-order to live and not go suicidal

So basically, you want them to be more like fellow players... :P

Nah, managing a group with complex dialog just like players sounds more irritating than fun. I mean I want them to be for or against me, I do not want a complex catacomb of who shot the sheriff dialog to go about NPCs (sounds annoying and frustrating at best) maybe some changing sides and stuff happening, but nothing super annoying, leave that to multiplayer stuff.

At the very least I want somebody to run the crops, that part of the game is the most needy boring part in my opinion.

Well, this ain't no arcade game, and PZ is almost like a simulator. I personally love that the NPCs will be so complex and Jatta Pake's dialogue is but one of many ways those interactions will probably go.  THere's nothing "Super annoying" about NPCs being complex and life-like. The AI will bring so much replay value to this game. This game is about depth, and baby, it's getting much deeper!