So happy that multiplayer is on the way..

RyukIsGod

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/01/the-third-act-twist/

and hell yaaaa multiplayer is going to be awesome. I think this game is going to be one of those classics that ppl still play 10 years after its released. there is a ridiculous amount of replay value

I think you're over hyping it. It's still a way off; and if Zomboid becomes known simply for its multiplayer, I'm going to be very skeptical about the game's original vision.  :-|

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/01/the-third-act-twist/

and hell yaaaa multiplayer is going to be awesome. I think this game is going to be one of those classics that ppl still play 10 years after its released. there is a ridiculous amount of replay value

I think you're over hyping it. It's still a way off; and if Zomboid becomes known simply for its multiplayer, I'm going to be very skeptical about the game's original vision.  :-|

I think he's just saying that PZ will be a classic game in general, not that the multiplayer will be what makes it a classic game. If PZ becomes known for it's multiplayer then one could argue it's the fault of the community for over-hyping it and making it the main focus (Hmm, almost like NPC's was. Interesting. :P)

Anyway let people have their fun, if people are excited for the multiplayer, let them be excited for the multiplayer. :D

Honestly it kinda bums me out that multiplayer is gonna be coming in before NPCs, since I always believed the only way the multiplayer would be enjoyable to begin with was if the NPCs were there to make it more interesting. I might try it a couple times with a friend of mine on a whitelisted server run by a bunch of guys from here that I know and respect, but I don't expect to be playing it all that much.

Honestly it kinda bums me out that multiplayer is gonna be coming in before NPCs, since I always believed the only way the multiplayer would be enjoyable to begin with was if the NPCs were there to make it more interesting. I might try it a couple times with a friend of mine on a whitelisted server run by a bunch of guys from here that I know and respect, but I don't expect to be playing it all that much.

I didn't really expect NPC's to be in multiplayer to be honest.

The reason why NPCs have been...Well, put down the line slightly, is that they're going to be complex. Relationships, beliefs, heck, I'm sure that the devs might have some NPCs calling for some rudimentary democracy every now and again. I'd rather NPCs come later with excellent quality, than something watered down.

The reason why NPCs have been...Well, put down the line slightly, is that they're going to be complex. Relationships, beliefs, heck, I'm sure that the devs might have some NPCs calling for some rudimentary democracy every now and again. I'd rather NPCs come later with excellent quality, than something watered down.

Right, I remember the devs saying that NPC's were going to be done long before multi-player. I am happy to hear that the programming is so complex that they can get multi-player up faster than the NPC's. From what I understand its tough to program multiplayer into a game. So this is a sign that they are putting the time into the NPC's to make them right, and not rushing some half-assed AI into the game.

I'd wait until I'm 100 if I had to just to be able to have a good experience with the NPC's.

I love a good story.

I don't mind what comes first MP or NPC's as they both add to the replay-ability and MP is a great portion of revenue gain for the devs which means even more content for us.

I'm excited for it all, that's for sure!

Though I was wondering: in the released multiplayer sneak-peek videos, it seems like there were people on the server the devs/players didn't know? So does that mean, there's a test server where we can try MP out? Or is there a beta build out with MP that I missed, so we can set up our own servers?

Though I was wondering: in the released multiplayer sneak-peek videos, it seems like there were people on the server the devs/players didn't know? So does that mean, there's a test server where we can try MP out? Or is there a beta build out with MP that I missed, so we can set up our own servers?

The MP build is not public it's closed off for now. Chances are they did know the players but perhaps just didn't recognise their steam names.

That's because they didn't exactly know who was online. There was no ingame-screen showing a list of players.

multiplayer neither enhances, nor does it subtract from the PZ experience. It's only a fixture for the core game. Think of it like sandbox mode, some people might NEVER use it, but other will ONLY use it. If you want NPCs before mutiplayer then you'd have to then go through additional patches that need to be done to make NPCs and multiple players interact. The fact that multiplayer is out before NPCs leads me to believe the developers are intelligent and understand that NPCs will change the game entirely and such things need copious amounts of time and study to get right.

Unless you all want mentally disabled NPCs running around, sometimes able to talk to you, sometimes disappearing from existence. Or how about NPCs that don't have full dialog options yet? YES! Give me a game feature that entirely changes the game right now and it better not have any bugs in it and it should work with every future update with no weird coding issues. I demand idiotic perfection and speed on something I personally want in this game. The Developers are all robots anyway right?

Well personally i just want NPCs to run my crops, guard my base, and fight zombies by my side (as well as function as somebody to carry my loot when I go looting). I could care less if the rest of them functions or not, but yeah, i am sure others feel NPCs should be more like fellow players that making it much more complicated.

So you want the game to be easier on you. I think that's the reason why people want NPCs now and don't want mutiplayer. NPCs shouldn't be some dude you save, so now he endlessly grows your crops. The game is designed for you to die, maybe by an hungry zombie, or maybe a thirsty survivor, or how about a crazed maniac. Allowing a NPC oaf to go fight and pickup stuff for you without second thought is illogical.

Why should another survivor risk his life so that you can have a little more to carry and a 2nd bat to swing. Shouldn't they ask for things in return like, you know humanly things that people need to survive on? Don't you think survivors are unrecognizable at first glance to savage bandits? Anyone walking would seem like a threat, NPCs might shoot first if you don't shout.

Well personally i just want NPCs to run my crops, guard my base, and fight zombies by my side (as well as function as somebody to carry my loot when I go looting). I could care less if the rest of them functions or not, but yeah, i am sure others feel NPCs should be more like fellow players that making it much more complicated.

So you want the game to be easier on you. I think that's the reason why people want NPCs now and don't want mutiplayer. NPCs shouldn't be some dude you save, so now he endlessly grows your crops. The game is designed for you to die, maybe by an hungry zombie, or maybe a thirsty survivor, or how about a crazed maniac. Allowing a NPC oaf to go fight and pickup stuff for you without second thought is illogical.

Why should another survivor risk his life so that you can have a little more to carry and a 2nd bat to swing. Shouldn't they ask for things in return like, you know humanly things that people need to survive on? Don't you think survivors are unrecognizable at first glance to savage bandits? Anyone walking would seem like a threat, NPCs might shoot first if you don't shout.

Most definitely not. We want NPCs because they'll make the game more dynamic and unpredictable. It'll add challenge as well as help, and I imagine NPCs aren't planned to be mindless drones. Managing NPCs in a community might become particularly troublesome, especially with the director throwing in challenges to shake things up. 

Wait, multiplayer is coming out? Holy shit what did I miss.

This apparently: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/01/the-third-act-twist/

:P

Just wondering, in the PvP servers will the names above people be permanently visible or only visible when in your characters line of sight or something like that.  Because with a name above your head all the time there will be no where to hide from axe wielding maniacs. 

Names above heads are based on line of sight and unfortunately so is text presented above a persons head (which is a bit of a problem at the mo.) as seen in this video:

So basically, you want them to be more like fellow players... :P