The lost. Part one

CHAPTER ONE: THE OUTBREAK

I opened my locker and looked inside. It looked quite drab. But there was a photograph of my mother. She had died when I was only ten years old, in a car accident. I was with her in the car. A school bus had barreled down the street hitting the side were my mom was. I came away un- harmed, though my mom immediately died from the impact. I sighed and looked in the locker mirror. A 16-year old kid with white hair and black eyes, and pale skin looked back at me. My hair and skin made my black eyes much more noticeable. I didn’t look like anything like my mom or dad. Nothing to remember her by. I dismissed the thought and put my schoolbooks inside and took out my jacket. It was a black leather jacket, with a felt lining. My mother had given it to me a week before she had died in a car accident. I put it on and grabbed my gloves. It was freezing outside. I put on my gloves while I walked to the main entrance. There was no one at the front desk, but the radio was on and at full volume. I turned it down a little and listened. “The infected will attack, even if unprovoked, and will not stop until they have been killed or have reached their goal. You have to kill them at all costs!!” “The infected? Who are they? And why should we kill them?” I thought. “James!” I turned around and saw my best friend, Robert Robertson. I’ve known him for eight years, ever since he arrived here. His dad is a retired real estate agent, and was able to stack up some money so that he could live in comfort. Then, he adopted Robert “Rob, what’s up?” I was immediately worried, because he looked worried. “I was just talking to my dad, man, and he sounded like crap, man. He said he was sick with a fever AND the flu and he thinks he’s ‘Infected’. He just kept saying get home fast and he’s infected.” I stared at him for a couple seconds and then remembered what I had just heard on the radio, ‘The infected’. I needed to get home. NOW. “Rob, I’ll take you home in my car”. Then I ran out into the blizzard.  

CHAPTER TWO: The Infected

I sprinted right into the side of my jeep wrangler. I took the keys to the car out of my pocket and tried to unlock the car door. Then Rob yelled “behind you!” I turned around and then I saw it. It was a woman; at least that’s what it used to be. Its eyes, a once beautiful sky blue, were glazed over; her skin was a ghostly white and looked like it was frozen solid. And it was running at me. I waited until it got close, then side-stepped. Its head smashed into the side of the car< making a loud, hollow “Bang”. That would have knocked a normal person unconscious, maybe even a concussion. But not this thing. It stumbled backwards and almost fell, but it found its footing. It turned toward me and growled. I lashed out and punched the thing in the solar plexus. It did nothing. I turned around and started to run when I felt cold fingers wrapping around the spot between the jacket and the glove. The fingers pulled hard and I was thrown over the car. I flipped over twice and felt a rung on the car roof. I grasped my fingers around it, and that worst thing I could have done. I was moving so fast that when I grabbed the car, I pulled my shoulder from its socket. I screamed in pain and slammed into the side of the car. I fell to the ground in a crumpled mess. Rob ran up and tried to help me up, but I said, “Get in the car and grab the pistol!” My father had bought me a .22 caliber pistol with an olive finish and five ten round magazines.  “Just get in the car and grab it! I’ll hold this thing off!” I screamed at him. He ran to the car door and opened it. I got to my feet and looked around. Nobody else was in the parking lot, but I heard machinegun fire in the distance. The thing was walking around my car, trying to get to me. I saw a small metal pipe in the ground and picked it up. My left arm was hanging uselessly at my side, but I knew how to set it back in its socket. The pipe felt nice and heavy in my hand. I’ll be able to use this for sure. The thing was getting closer. I ran toward it and smashed it’s the head with it. Its head seemed to cave in slightly, but it kept moving! I tried to hit it again but it suddenly wrapped its arms around me and pulled me closer to it. “James! Turn it towards me!” Rob yelled. I heaved and turned the thing toward Rob. Then I heard an audible “bang” and the things head exploded. Blood and gray brain matter splattered my face. It’s now dead body fell to the ground. I looked at Rob and said, “yuck”. Then I passed out.

CHAPTER THREE: The Guns

I woke up in the back of my jeep, sweaty and hot. It seemed like the jeep had been heated up. “Rob?” I groaned. “Hey, James,’ bout time you woke up, I was worried” He said. I said, “Where are we going?” “To your dads house” “What about your dad?” “I called him while you were getting your beauty sleep and he said He feels better and told me to get some of your dads guns.” My father had only three or for guns at home. “Your dads right, we might need them. Hey, can I get my gun back?” I said. “Sure, here it is” He handed me the gun without looking back. “Thanks” I said. I ooked out the window and saw several fires in the distance. It seems like these things were all over the city, and the battle was escalating. “Here we are,your house” We pulled up the driveway and there were no other cars there with us. My father must be at work. Then I realized that if my father was at work, and there more of those things in the city.....crap! I got of the car and pulled the house keys out. “come on, Rob. Lets go.” I said. My house was a three story We ran up to the house door and went inside. “Rob,my dads guns are in the cellar. The combination is 2-3-1-4-8-0-1” I said. He ran to the cellar door. I walked into the living room and turned on the Television. “The city has been infested with the virus, The victims of the virus, who are called the lost, just won’t stop coming!!” The news reporter looked scared. Really scared.I’ve been watching her tell the news for three years now, and I’ve never seen her like this. “I am in a safety zone that has been set up by the military. An” she was cut off by a huge explosion a couple miles away. All the lights went out and the T.V. turned off. I stood there in the darkness, thinking,We are screwed. If the power dosen’t come back on, we will freeze to death. I already felt the cold seeping in thourgh the windows and doors. “ James, I have the guns. Why is it so cold?” “the power is out” I ran over to him and grabbed the gun bag. I opened it and tooked the guns out. There was a Ruger Mini 14, which chambered a 5.56 caliber shot, with ten twenty round magazines.There was a Ruger sr 769, Which shot 7.76 caliber bullets with Five twenty round magazinesAnd the last gun in the bag was a ruger pm3 with three ammo clippings.“Well, this will have to do for now.” I said. I took out my cell phone and tried called my dad. There was no signal. “Oh, that’s great!!” “What is it?” Rob said. “ The phones are not”BANGBANGBANG!! I pulled out my pistol and slowly walked to the window. I looked outside and almost jumped with joy. There were three soldiers walking down the street, shooting back at something. When I saw what they were shooting at my joy

Immediately disapeered. Because there was a huge crowd of the Lost. And they are heading straight for us.

CHAPTER FOUR: The Rescue

I immediately thought up a plan of sorts. I grabbed the 769 and ran out the front door. Rob followed me. “ Go in the kitchen and grab a couple whiskey bottles and rags. Now!!” I ran toward the group of soldiers and started loading the gun. The 769 was the king of all kings of guns. It had a chrome-plated piston, M4 style stock and a titanium-plated chamber. As I ran up to the group, wondered if my plan would actually work. “ Hey!’’ I yelled. One of them turned around and saw me running towards them. He then turned around and yelled, “Can you help us a bit over here?!?!” I raised my gun and let off a three round burst. Two of the lost’s heads exploded. “I have them!!” Rob yelled. Suddenly, The lost I was aiming erupted in a fiery inferno. Rob had made exactly what I was thinking of making: Molotov Cocktails. I yelled back, “light Mr.Foresmans house on fire!!” I yelled. They where getting closer. I fired off a couple more rounds and backed up. The lost seem to have noticed that a house was on fire and some of them were shuffling over there, but not enough of them. I brought my gun up and noticed a car that wasn’t there before. I aimed down the iron sights; put my finger on the trigger and BOOOOOM!!!! I was thrown through the air, flipped over twice, and suddenly my head cracked against the ground and I almost fainted, but I stayed in the fight. I was on my back staring at the sky, thinking; I didn’t know that a car could make such a big explosion. But it wasn’t the car that had blown us all into the air, it was the house. Somehow, the gas line had been ruptured, and when that happened, the house exploded. I rolled over and looked around. There was debris littered every were in the snow and what was left of Mr.Foresmans house was on fire. There were only one of the lost was alive, and its legs were gone. It just wriggled in the snow. Crimson blood stained the ground. I saw the military guys walking in my direction. I stood but was a little wobbly in the knees. I walked up to them and was about to say hello, when one of them backhanded me across my face. I fell to the ground, feeling my own blood flood my mouth as I heard them rush to hold the man back. Rob came up and helped me stand. “Are you alright, man?” he said. I didn’t answer. I just walked up to the soldier who had slapped me and smiled, showing my blood stained teeth. I then spit all of the blood onto the ground in front of him. “ Why the hell did you slap me for?” I said. He got all up in my face and said, “ You nearly got us all killed!! You are just a stupid child who thinks he can just play hero all the time!!” I shrugged my shoulders and said, “ Okay you can stay here if you want. I was going to let you get in my car with me and get out of town, but since you don’t want to.” I turned around and yelled to Rob, “ Refill the gas tanks!” Then I said “ you can stay in my house if you want” I started to walk away. Then I heard one them yelling, “Wait!” I turned around and saw the slapper running after me. He said, “I’m sorry for slapping you. I was over reacting and worried for my squad. You very nearly killed us all.” “No problem. Though I had to do something, and standing there and shooting is not a very good plan. Now come on, I need to grab my guns and ammunition” I said “just get in the jeep” I ran to the house and on the way there I found my gun in the snow. It was scratched, but still in working condition. I saw Robert running out of the house holding the Mini 14 and the Pm3, along with the gun bag. Then I heard the moaning of the lost. Rob and I looked at each other. Both of us said at the same time; “ Time to go”

CHAPTER FIVE: The Escape

We immediately ran to the car. I pulled open the door and got in. The military guys were already in the back seat. The windows were open and they were poking their guns out. I opened up my phone again and tried to call my dad again. This time he answered. “ James, is that you?” he said he didn’t sound too good. “Yeah dad, its me.” “ Son, look, I need to tell you this I’m hurt I’ve been shot in the chest twice, and I have lost a lot of blood. I need you to do something for me.” “What is it?” I said. “ In the house, in my bed room, there is a chest. Under that chest, there is a key. Use that key to open the chest and take everything out of it and put it in a book bag. And son, remember, I need you to get tha-” The line went dead. I put the phone down and got out of the car. “Where the hell are you going!?”  Rob yelled. “ Go to your dads house. I’ll see you later!” I didn’t wait for an answer. I just ran into my house. I could hear the lost from the back door of my house. They were close. I ran up the stairs and burst into my dad’s bedroom. I picked up the chest and put it next to the dresser. Then I grabbed the keys and opened the chest. I looked inside and saw a backpack, some food, a portable radio, and some winter clothes. I stared at it for a couple seconds, because I recognized the clothes from somewhere, but didn’t know where. I was shaken out of my stupor when I heard the back door. Splinter. I snatched l of the stuff and put it in the backpack. I then put the pack on my back and ran down the stairs, three steps at a time. Then I heard the back door fall. I turned around and saw the lost rush through the now broken door, and I let off a three round burst. Two of them fell to the ground, only for them to get back up. I looked toward the front door and saw that there were a couple of them blocking that way. Then I felt one of them grab my arm and sink it’s teeth into my skin. I yelled and struggled against its grip, but it would not yield. Then I pulled out my pistol and blowed its head off. The only way left to go is to go is back up the stairs. I ran up them with the lost following close behind. I saw a window and ran toward it as fast as I could. I pulled out of my pistol again and shot the window twice. The glass shattered and I jumped. I flew from the window and crashed through the window of the house on the other side. My foot caught on the windowsill and my head hit the marble floor and I passed out.

CHAPTER SIX: The Sickness

I opened my eyes. I was on the floor of a bathroom. I felt like I was in a freezer and an oven at the same time. It was freezing cold and dark. It was night and nights here can be deadly. I realized that I was covered in a thin layer of snow. I tried to move, but nothing responded. I tried again and was able to prop myself up with my arms. I then threw up what little I had in my stomach, and collapsed again. After a little while I woke up again. There was a little bit of light coming through the window. My head felt like someone had put a jackhammer to my head and turned it on. I moved my arms again, and tried to stand. I got up and braced my self with the wall. I opened the bathroom door and stumbled out. The first thing that I noticed was that it was quite warm. I stood at the top of the stairs and could see that the windows were boarded up. I saw that there was a flickering light coming from a room. I then fell down the stairs. I heard chairs move. “ What was that?” a whispered voice said. Suddenly, the door opened and I was bathed with light and there was a double-barreled shotgun in my face. “ Who the hell are you?!” a gruff female voice said. “Help” was the only thing I was able to sat before I passed out. I woke up on a soft...something and a girl was sitting next to me. She had an old fashioned revolver with small carvings on it. The girl had long black hair, tanned skin, and her fingernails were painted a bright purple. I lifted my right arm, the on that had been bitten. There was a stark white bandage covering my whole forearm. I started to sit on the bed when woke up, pick up her revolver, and point it at my head. I froze, and she said, “Lay back down. Now.” I did what she said and she got up and slowly went to the door. She opened it and walked out, locking it behind her. I thought: Wow, she is feisty!! The door opened and the girl and some old guy walked in.  The old man said to me, real quick “What is your name, who old are you, were you now and, who are you looking at?” I answered in the same way, “James Thornton, 16, Washington in some house, and some old guy.” He stared at me for a couple seconds, and then got up and said, “he’s clean” to the girl. She said, “How is that possible! He was bitten! No one survives that!” he walked out of the room and the girl stared at me for a little bit, but I didn’t notice What the hell does he mean? My head started hurt again and I couldn’t think anymore. I couldn’t do anything anymore. I just laid there and thought. And thought. And thought. Wondering if I could become one of them, being one of the lost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived