ColdEvil

I’ve been looking on the Dec Adventures Multiplayer videos and that got me thinking. They are using Voice chat but why not implement a in game voice chat which have the same effect of the Q button IF you talk to loud.

If people have played ArmA 3 addons or some Battlefield 2 mods people might be familiar with the 3D sound system that TeamSpeak make it possible to have. I think some kind of VOIP should be implemented that have a direct effect on the environment adding some strategic use of you voice to the game instead of the normal Q button.

Either way you change the level of voice or the system recognize the volume of your voice.

Toughs? :)

I like this idea. It'd be much quicker than typing, and you don't have to join some 'chat' room,

when its a localized chat system. This could be useful in many ways, like quickly telling someone

that your friendly and you mean no harm, or just communicating with your friends/fellow survivors.

Quick/Simple/Handy.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out about the 3D Voice Comm and the value it would bring to the gameplay. My vote is +1 for implementing 3D Voice Comm support Teamspeak and Mumble.

It would be really nice to shout in the mic to grab the zombies attentions, while other players around me here my audio in 3D. If i'm on their left, they hear it louder from their left ear.

Someone needs to get working on this before the 'NPCs' :lol:

I personally wouldn't think that the VOIP wouldn't suit the game. What with the roleplaying aspect of this game, if I was to play as a female character but talk in a male voice. That'd be quite jarring. Some changes to the chat system have to be made though.

Like many games VOIP doesn't need to necessarily be used for roleplaying servers, but you can't deny in non RP servers they would probably be a handy thing to have.

I personally wouldn't think that the VOIP wouldn't suit the game. What with the roleplaying aspect of this game, if I was to play as a female character but talk in a male voice. That'd be quite jarring. Some changes to the chat system have to be made though.

Like many games VOIP doesn't need to necessarily be used for roleplaying servers, but you can't deny in non RP servers they would probably be a handy thing to have.

If it doesn't fit the vision of the game it shouldn't be implemented, even if (and I agree it would be) it would be handy. For me it doesn't fit with the style of the game and I'd much prefer it to be text chat only as I think of this as a role playing game.

I already outlined some changes to the chat system that could be implemented in my threat: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6139-changes-to-the-chat-system-shouting-saying-whispering/

Also I do believe the devs may have said they want to blur the distinction between Npc and player, voip certainly makes it quite black and white. (If someone can post a link to where a dev said that I'd be grateful.)

However whether it fits with the vision of the game is ultimately the devs call. I would totally be happy with options to disable voip in server admin controls.

What are you talking about? You can't talk like a girl??? pfffftttt, you should practice more often. ;)

If it doesn't fit the vision of the game it shouldn't be implemented, even if (and I agree it would be) it would be handy. For me it doesn't fit with the style of the game and I'd much prefer it to be text chat only as I think of this as a role playing game.

I already outlined some changes to the chat system that could be implemented in my threat: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6139-changes-to-the-chat-system-shouting-saying-whispering/

Also I do believe the devs may have said they want to blur the distinction between Npc and player, voip certainly makes it quite black and white. (If someone can post a link to where a dev said that I'd be grateful.)

However whether it fits with the vision of the game is ultimately the devs call. I would totally be happy with options to disable voip in server admin controls.

The whole VOIP concept is optionally, it is not a 'recommended' thing to have in the game, it can be turned on/off as a user deems fit. Not everyone likes to type, people can cross communicate. One speaks while the other one chats. Happens all the time with me and my friends.

People stopping up in order to type is a lot more immersion breaking than a voice that doesn't fit the character. Seriously:

You and another fellow survivor are being hunted by a horde of zombies. Suddenly, you notice the fellow survivor lagging behind. You look behind you. He's just standing still. For no reason. Two seconds later he yells "RUN LEFT" and starts running again.

I mean, I can use my imagination and pretend it's a female voice, or whatever. I can't pretend this guy is still running and not standing there and getting eaten by zombies while he types.

I have seen games with purely text chat where you would still move the direction you were moving in before you pressed *enter* to talk. Num pad directional keys could be used as movement and movement only alongside wasd, so when you have pressed t to talk, you can type out a message but still keep moving with the Num pad keys.

• 7 months later...

Eh, if you have NPC's coming up to you in Multiplayer and belting out less organic text quicker than a human can type, making the distinction between NPC and human will be cake. Though I can see this breaking immersion just a tad with the NPC's lacking voice overs

I agree about VOIP being immersion breaking for a game like PZ, as it's quite Role-play oriented I prefere not to know any information about the people playing (male or female voice, youngling voice etc...), plus some people are just terrible voice actors or don't even bother trying.

If you're playing with a group of friends on a non-RP server or in co-op and you are lazy to type, it could be a cool feature for sure.

But I strongly believe typing is the way to go, but it sure needs some improvements :

- arrows to be able to move
- a way to bind pre-made sentences on any key you want. (such as "Don't move or I'll shoot ! drop your weapon !" or "We don't want any trouble" or "go left" "go straight ahead" "go right" "STOP!" etc...)

And also, "whisper / talk / shout" levels, affecting the radius in which zombies hear you when you write something (like when you press Q), and the radius in which other players are able to read what you write (so people can't spy what you're saying in your safehouse if while they're standing accross the street, if you're not shouting).

How about this: Servers have an option when being created to allow voice chat or keep only text chat. If they have voice chat people can still use text obviously, but its the choice of the server to implement it. I also think it should be local based, voice chat- you shouldn't be able to speak across the entire map, otherwise that could get annoying fast. Having it local also gives you options for teamwork, roleplay reasons and the fact that, unlike a teamspeak, you can speak locally to people around you, so if you don't want others hearing your plan to steal all the doritos from the shack, you can conspire to get your cheesy goodness without them knowing. Unless they followed and are spying on your hippy ass.

You add VOIP..

You'll hear a 9 year old "Player" screaming about his bacon.

absolute truth. ever watch a twitch stream of Garrys Mod? "Squeakers" galore, driving you nuts.

always trying to sound tough, using swear words they don't understand, and spamming absolute random nonsense