Trouble starting the game

DangerKlaus

Question

After purchasing from the Desura Client, and installing the game, i am now having trouble running it. I have followed the Tech FAQ, uninstalled then re-installed java and been through java's website to confirm it was installed correctly. I checked my video card driver and that seems to be up to date as well but still cannot run the game in 32 bit or 64 bit (inc. compatibility counterparts). When i select any of them it comes up with the cmd, does something, then the cmd closes and nothing happens lol.

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Ignore previous reply!

After reading another thread, i decided to uninstall the driver. After doing so, i just updated the driver, which put me on to an Intel® HD Graphics driver, which aparently gave me a brand new one because it is a more recent version than the one that i downloaded from intel's website :s

In conclusion.. it works! For Now :D

Please go to the installation folder of Project Zomboid and place these two bat files in it:

https://mega.co.nz/#!8shiyQ7L!YFBe_WbMH-xKh84lHSk6NjRH2gp9UYcsU50vbSpeqsM
The command prompt will stay open. Make a screenshot of the error message and show us.

Also, this is from the TechFAQ:

Q. I see a dark flash, maybe some text, and nothing happens!
A. Most of the time, this is the “The system cannot find the path specified” error, which means your Java installation cannot be located.
If you've triple-checked (ideally, quadruple-checked) that Java is installed and you still get the flashy window, create a bat file.

You can create a bat-file by simply creating a new text file in the root folder of Project Zomboid, pasting the following code into it and then changing the extension from .txt to .bat.

32 Bit Java, 32 Bit OS

"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenStatePAUSE

32 Bit Java, 64 Bit OS

set path=%path%;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre7\bin;"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre7\bin\java" -noverify -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500  -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:GCTimeRatio=50 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20 -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenStatePAUSE

64 Bit Java/OS

set path=%path%;%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin;"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java" -server -noverify -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500  -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:GCTimeRatio=5 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20 -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenStatePAUSE

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6f535861, pid=5260, tid=4712

#

# JRE version: 7.0_25-b17

# Java VM: Java HotSpot Client VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-x86 )

# Problematic frame:

# C [aticfx32.dll+0x25861] gslCfxExit+0xe1

#

# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client vers

ions of Windows

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\\hs_err_pid5260.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

# http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6f535861, pid=5260, tid=4712

#

# JRE version: 7.0_25-b17

# Java VM: Java HotSpot Client VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-x86 )

# Problematic frame:

# C [aticfx32.dll+0x25861] gslCfxExit+0xe1

#

# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client vers

ions of Windows

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\\hs_err_pid5260.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

# http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\Project Zomboid>PAUSE

Press any key to continue . . .

sorry, but that seemed the best thing to do.. includes everything then

Yeah, by compatibility, i mainly just mean.. it won't work with my stuff! 

Haha, love you you describe it as 'Fun Things'.. my laptop won't find them fun at all!

Is it easy to uninstall? I also assume i'd just re-install the original one too?

If you can boot into Windows 7, it's as easy as going to Device Manager and uninstalling it, then installing the original.

If it won't let you boot into windows, it can be done through Safe Mode in the same way -- Safe Mode just loads a generic driver.

Mind, I haven't seen anyone have trouble with this yet -- but I'm telling you this just incase you're the first. :P

But it says 'advanced' next to the uninstall button.. how exciting! :P

Okay thanks, i shall give that a go then, i think.. see what happens!

Haha, okay tahh :P .. there is no real warning on the Intel website, saying that it shouldn't be done or anything so we'll see! Is it worth giving a good backing-up before or should it not be that drastic if things fail? 

Archived