Preventing Crop Disease and Sickness?

NuclearSharkhead

I assume a sickly state in crops doesn't necessarily mean they will be diseased, yes? Just that they're not as healthy and could be improved with watering? (newb to farming)

Also what is the range at which I should keep crops from each other to prevent disease spreading?

I've just begun getting a grasp on what farming is all about... I've been farming for a few days and no produce yet : P 

I started out putting 2 spaces in between each crop when I started.  I then got some advice that 1 space was sufficient.  I have stuck to the one space and seen very little disease spread.  However, I am also one for smaller plots, spread across my property.  I may have a 7 day cycle of cabbage (so 14 plants, every 2 is one day) and then a 14 days cycle of potatoes (yep, 28 plants), but in different locations around my property.

There's a secret that can only be unlocked through leveling of Farming... Certain crops require certain water levels during growth... Also the more in line with these levels that you keep your plants and the healthier they are at harvest, the higher your EXP gained is. Carrots ideal water level is 75, anything above this is bad for the plant. All the other plants are fine at 100%. Radish is also finicky but because it only provides 7 hunger I never plant them and because of this I don't know what their ideal water level is... But I will check and post back here later.

It's too bad that we can't have an indoor garden for plants like carrots and radishes that are susceptible to rain. Even an option to remove water would be nice seeing as it's possible in RL to do it!

Make sure to leave your plants for 2 days after they have matured, if you do this you will also get seeds back when harvesting. You can harvest when they're just ripe but you only gain food from this.

Until you level up your farming you can't check when the "harvest + seed" state is. (I think it's level 3 and up) Also, don't bother leveling or doing any skill unless completely necessary until you have read the skill book for your skill level....

Here are the EXP required for all skills...

Level 1: 100

Level 2: 300

Level 3: 1500

Level 4 : 7500

Level 5: 10,300

Here are the EXP multipliers for skill books:

(skill books don't improve a skill, they just add a multiplier to base exp gained)

Level 1: 3X

Level 2: 5X

Level 3: 8X

Level 4: 12X

Level 5: 16X

Don't know why these values haven't been added to the wiki yet... Maybe I should contribute.

cool great info thanks!  just a question do u have to leave 1 tile space in all directions or can u build them in rows like corn, and leave only a tile space between rows?

pretty sure u need to have 1 space from all side, thats how u prevent the disease from spreading, in a row, ur gonna get an infected row if thing goes bad,.

This thread has a good, in depth guide for farming:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2054-farming-guide/

BTW potatoes and cabbage are the best in the current build of the game. Also, Let's Play coming soon maybe?

ive also heard brocolli is another good one cause its easy and can be made into tasty soups

broccoli and carrots are first tier soup ingredients and are the only soup ingredients that can be crafted/grown right now

cool great info thanks!  just a question do u have to leave 1 tile space in all directions or can u build them in rows like corn, and leave only a tile space between rows?

pretty sure u need to have 1 space from all side, thats how u prevent the disease from spreading, in a row, ur gonna get an infected row if thing goes bad,.

What about having them in diagonal like this: * is plant, - is space

-*-*-

This thread has a good, in depth guide for farming:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2054-farming-guide/

BTW potatoes and cabbage are the best in the current build of the game. Also, Let's Play coming soon maybe?

ive also heard brocolli is another good one cause its easy and can be made into tasty soups

broccoli and carrots are first tier soup ingredients and are the only soup ingredients that can be crafted/grown right now

hmmm thats strange, you'd think almost any of the vegetables could be used in soup. some fermented cabbage for delicious kimchi, or steak n potato stew??

What about having them in diagonal like this: * is plant, - is space

-*-*-

good question, you migth want to check this older post, lostsoul made a pretty nice farming guide, i dont know if  it got the answer to your question but its worth checking for sure.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2054-farming-guide/?hl=%2Bfarming+%2Bguide

Fertilizer seems to help for me.

I think fertilizer just speeds up crop growth. What's nice about that is you can pop a few onto a newly diseased crop, that's still in relatively good condition, and get it to the stage where it can be harvested before the disease has done much damage to it. On top of getting it away from your other, hopefully still healthy crops, faster.

hmmm i would like to know about this diagonal thing. i just started farming and that would save alot of space if i could add in diagonals without affecting plants.

based on how  F4T4L3FFECT showed it, mine would look like this: (plants are in vertical order) as you can see i could add in tons more plants if i was able to use diagonals.

x-x-x                                    x-x-x

-x-x-                                     - - -

-x-x-        as opposed to      - - -

-x-x-                                     - - -

I didn't see this in the guide, but it bears mentioning that Mildew and Pest Flies can be treated directly using crafted sprays:

Mildew Spray <- Empty Spray Can + Milk (can be rotten milk)

Insecticide Spray <- Spray Can + Water + Cigarette

with one of these can in your main inv, you'll get a 'Treat Problem' option on a crop sick with the appropriate affliction.  You need to use enough of the spray to reduce the 'disease counter' to zero.  There's a bug where the 'Treat Problem' menu will loose it's contents, placing the can in a placed container (like a crate, not a backpack) and retrieving it fixes this.

Devil's Water Fungi has no treatment, better dig it out.

I didn't see this in the guide, but it bears mentioning that Mildew and Pest Flies can be treated directly using crafted sprays:

Mildew Spray <- Empty Spray Can + Milk (can be rotten milk)

Insecticide Spray <- Spray Can + Water + Cigarette

with one of these can in your main inv, you'll get a 'Treat Problem' option on a crop sick with the appropriate affliction.  You need to use enough of the spray to reduce the 'disease counter' to zero.  There's a bug where the 'Treat Problem' menu will loose it's contents, placing the can in a placed container (like a crate, not a backpack) and retrieving it fixes this.

Devil's Water Fungi has no treatment, better dig it out.

Connall!!!  Get back to work :)