Close-quarters engagement with zombies + pistols: broken?

Kauffy

I couldn't find a prior thread on this, but this is something that feels supes broken. :x

In short, your character is super-useless at very-close range when holding a pistol-- they both miss shots impossibly (point-blank), and can't shove worth a damn. :?

Currently, the shove animation is a wide-armed sweep holding the pistol , but it takes so long that by the time you're reset, you're having to shove them again. It really is basically a frustrating stunlock. Sure, that would happen in real life-- but nobody would try to do a slow, sweeping pistol whip either.

What makes more sense would be that the shove animation be akin to the animation when you are empty-handed, and/or you can perform pistol executions at close range, regardless of skill.

Characters without Aiming skill seem to be very underpowered with just the basics of using a firearm-- I can understand accuracy fall-off, but there are shots that should be easy to make by anyone and-- maybe you don't know this-- but every American, particularly in Kentucky, and particularly in the 90's, is born with an innate ability to handle a gun somewhat.

A quicker shove makes pistols much more viable as survival instruments for non-combat characters. Right now, they can't hit anything at range with a pistol (makes sense), but they also can't do anything at super-close range.

Point-blank pistol should be deadly most of the time, if you are not jumped from behind of course. With zombie in front 90% chance to one-shot I'd find realistic... there may be some rare occasions where you can't get your gun up in time and shoot from a bad angle or get locked in the zombies ribs, armpits or whatever but mostly you will see it from enough distance to stick your gun in its face and boom.

This is downplayed so much in PZ community that it's almost unreal.
Not long ago, but not that recently too you could shove zombies with a gun at 60% more speed (IDK if you could move during then, but shoving with a pistol was MUCH faster, it was almost as if you were playing with a human being that valued his life, but not anymore)
Lastly I hope this won't get downplayed on forums as is was anywhere else in PZ community.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:37 AM, Axezombie said:

I agree especially on the lack of accuracy in close range, a zombie is right in front of you and you miss all your shots.

I think you should be able to hit it at 100% but not a lethal hit if you suck at aiming, at least it would be less frustrating.

It reminds me of X-com.

download (1).jpg

It could be 99% chance to kit, and you'll probably still miss, if I remember xcom correctly.