Sick of this Game

wyrda78

Being playing this game for a while. Have maybe 70-100 hours on a playthrough which is the first time I've survived for 5+ months. Quickly discovered that there is no "endgame" to this game. This isn't a "survival" game because survival is trivial. There is no difficulty in getting food, you can get infinite food from a few cabbage seeds and survive on cabbages alone (so much for the "nutrition system", so much for "fishing", "trapping", all useless and redundant skills, farming is pointless to level up), there are no diseases that pose any threat, you cannot die from infections, base building is pointless as all you need to do is knock out stairs to have an invincible base. 

I've had the immediate goal of clearing my immediate surrounds, which I've quickly found a fool's errand. For literally two weeks plus, I have been going out every day, killing hordes of zombies, only to to go back to the same spot to have them all spawn back. The idea that they take 3 days to respawn is absolute nonsense because of the aforementioned fact, and I have even found them to spawn inside enclosed locations. After weeks of endless killing and having over 8000 kills almost entirely in Maldraugh, I've had enough. I finally go back after a house alarm goes off and there is an impossibly large horde of zombies that have spawned in from nowhere, because I've literally been spending weeks clearing the surrounding area, and no matter how many house alarms go off or how many times I draw them in with the car horn and spend days killing the horde, it makes no difference. It made me finally realise that the one aspect of the game that I was focusing on, fighting zombies, is also pointless. No matter how many you kill, they will spawn back almost instantly. There is no point in building up your character, getting loot and hording ammunition, because the act of killing zombies is meaningless. I was imagining epic battles where I go into Louisville with a levelled up character and tons of weapons, but seeing as it's impossible to clear even the mid-sized towns, there is no point, I can simply summon an infinite number of zombies wherever I want. 

And no, simply going into sandbox mode and changing spawn settings is not the solution. I play on the default settings and that should be already optimised for the best experience. I am not going to spend another 70 hours to grind a character with the mods and settings to actually make the game playable. The fact that this game has been in development for 10 years and devs can't even fix simple issues that can be fixed by editing a text file already informs me that they are incompetent, I could list dozens of issues with the game that could be fixed with zero effort - food, zombie and gun spawn rates, useless skills that give little or no benefit for levelling up, imbalanced attributes and attributes that don't work, tooltips that are wrong, wacky and unintuitive ways of levelling up skills like aiming and maintenance, fire that spreads on concrete and is extremely deadly and cheesable, etc. 

Basically, I've already discovered how to "win" this game: sit in your walled off base and survive off infinite potatoes, cabbages and rain water. No, you don't need to worry about winter or anything because you will still easily have enough food. This game is only fun until you figure out how bad it is. 

Ok now you bashed this game, what's your point? Are you going to provide constructive criticism or is this just one of those useless random-ranting-posts to keep yourself annoyed by this game and tell the world? Because then I think I can help you - stop playing it. It's easy you know, just deinstall it and if it makes you angry just by looking at it in your steam list - you can even hide it so you won't be bothered anymore. Delete your account in this forum and go find another game to play that satisfies your needs.

Oh boy, this argument comes up a lot, so lemme break it down piece by piece so my answers makes more sense.

5 hours ago, wyrda78 said:

Have maybe 70-100 hours on a playthrough which is the first time I've survived for 5+ months. Quickly discovered that there is no "endgame" to this game. This isn't a "survival" game because survival is trivial.

And this is literally the case for 300% of all survival games. Because after that amount of time, you usually are already set up with enough stuff to survive forever. Stranded Deep, The Forest, NeoScavenger, Flotsam, The Long Dark; no matter the title, after that kind of play thru, if you haven't figured out how to become self-sufficient or looted enough places to have a big stash of canned goods, then you really haven't been playing the game right. It is simply the way all survival games are, and there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Complaining about it is like going to a vegan restaurant and complaining about the lack of beef in the menu.

There are no diseases that pose any threat, you cannot die from infections, base building is pointless as all you need to do is knock out stairs to have an invincible base. 

I'm going to assume you've never found yourself in a pinch, had to rip some bloodied clothes to make bandages, and had the wound get infected which causes your health to tick down. Because you CAN and WILL die of (non-zombie) infection in this game. No idea of how you have not seen that.

As for base building, the whole "Ladders Out" thing, while it works (and many have petitioned for some solution for it), it now comes with the risk of the zombies ripping up your ropes (and boy they do it A LOT) and basically locking you out your base and all your hard-earned loot, so there's that.

so much for the "nutrition system"

Until, after eating nothing but cabbages for a few months, you find your character so underweight you can barely take a hit or carry a backpack loaded with loot. Or the other way around, if you began eating every single thing you found and turned into an obese whale that can barely run or climb a fence. It's all there, but you will not see it with just a couple weeks of in-game playtime. It takes a while to make a difference, but it IS there.

It made me finally realise that the one aspect of the game that I was focusing on, fighting zombies, is also pointless.

Sadly, you were focused wrong; this game isn't really about killing Zombies (showcased by how stealth is a thing, and how a fight against a big horde usually ends in death). Fighting zeds is a means to an end; you're killing all the zombies in this building so you can loot it in peace, not to make the area safer for future runs. That's simply not how you play PZ, unless you disable respawns on the Sandbox.

And no, simply going into sandbox mode and changing spawn settings is not the solution. I play on the default settings and that should be already optimised for the best experience.

That's the thing; Sandbox IS the experience. Or at least it'll be until the Story Mode drops in. Part of what makes PZ so good is that it's very much a "Build your own Zombie Apocalypse" Kit where, even without mods, you can basically use it to create whatever experience you're aiming for. Almost anything can be tweaked, disabled or customized, and by not making use of those tools the game comes with, you're doing the equivalent of going to a buffet table, eating nothing but entree bread rolls, and then complaining about the quality of the food after you leave.

Basically, I've already discovered how to "win" this game

Here's the thing; you don't "win" in PZ, there's no victory state. If you're only playing the game to "beat it and win", then you're really not playing the game right, or it's simply not a game for you.

It's not that I wouldn't agree with many things he points out. It's the toxic attitude ("incompetent devs" for example) without providing any useful argument what could be made better that bothers me. I started playing the game modded to mitigate some of the problems it clearly has at this point. At the same time posting here feature requests, suggestions, bug reports and take part in discussions to point devs in the direction I'd like to see the game going and, and that's the point, being friendly and respectful about it. 

2 hours ago, getstoopid said:

ur point? Are you going to provide constructive criticism or is this just one of those useless random-ranting-posts to keep yourself annoyed by this game and tell the world? Because then I think I can help you - stop playing it. It's easy you know, just deinstall it and if it makes you angry just by looking at it in your steam list - you can even hide it so you won't be bothered anymore. Delete your account in this forum and go find another game to play that satisfies your needs.

1 hour ago, Marco1 said:

I agree with wyrda78 about everything, but I admit there's one thing in getstoopid's reply that I agree with... What are your suggestions? How to fix this? Unlike many others you're not in "denial" about this game, so your opinion would matter more than many other's.  I think it's the kind of game I've always wanted, but it clearly lacks a lot, however I am not sure about how to really "fix" it, I mean, I have some ideas, but I really do need more people like you to really understand "how to save project zomboid".

In short... how would you fix that?

Because it makes me feel better. What's the point in providing constructive criticism? Are devs going to read my posts and implement any of my suggestions? No. I've tried that before. If they had a tiny bit of common sense they would be aware of the issues and fixed them already.

41 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Oh boy, this argument comes up a lot, so lemme break it down piece by piece so my answers makes more sense.

And this is literally the case for 300% of all survival games. Because after that amount of time, you usually are already set up with enough stuff to survive forever. Stranded Deep, The Forest, NeoScavenger, Flotsam, The Long Dark; no matter the title, after that kind of play thru, if you haven't figured out how to become self-sufficient or looted enough places to have a big stash of canned goods, then you really haven't been playing the game right. It is simply the way all survival games are, and there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Complaining about it is like going to a vegan restaurant and complaining about the lack of beef in the menu.

The problem isn't that you can set up yourself to survive. The problem is it takes hardly any effort. All you need to do is grow some cabbages, set up some rain collectors, wall off your base, and you are set. The hardest thing would be to set up a generator and antique oven. Other than these few things that don't take much time, there is no reason to create an intricate base, to build up defences, to level your character to build better things, to find better foods, better materials to make your base stronger, etc. 

41 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

I'm going to assume you've never found yourself in a pinch, had to rip some bloodied clothes to make bandages, and had the wound get infected which causes your health to tick down. Because you CAN and WILL die of (non-zombie) infection in this game. No idea of how you have not seen that.

As for base building, the whole "Ladders Out" thing, while it works (and many have petitioned for some solution for it), it now comes with the risk of the zombies ripping up your ropes (and boy they do it A LOT) and basically locking you out your base and all your hard-earned loot, so there's that.

Are you telling me that you literally cannot find clean bandages that you can find on any  zombies and even the clothes that you spawn with? Unless it's at the very start, this would never happen. In other games, and actually in real life too, infections are deadly, and will often send you on quests to find antibiotics. Hardly a factor in this game. At most, at the beginning of the game you might find yourself in need of a needle or something. I've got no idea why devs decided to make medicine and injuries such a non-factor. 

Edited by wyrda78

59 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Sadly, you were focused wrong; this game isn't really about killing Zombies (showcased by how stealth is a thing, and how a fight against a big horde usually ends in death). Fighting zeds is a means to an end; you're killing all the zombies in this building so you can loot it in peace, not to make the area safer for future runs. That's simply not how you play PZ, unless you disable respawns on the Sandbox.

Okay? I play open world games because I like to play how I like to. The game shouldn't be forcing you to play a certain way, to play "stealthy" by unrealistically spawning zombies from thin air (or for that matter, having magic burglar alarms with no counterplay). Killing zombies should be fun but if you make it pointless by spawning infinite amounts it takes away all of the fun and meaning to it. 

This is all the zombies I had to deal with who spawned from thin air, came from areas that I'd already cleared etc. after a burglar alarm went off (and not the first burglar alarm in that area either) https://easyupload.io/qtjx8o

59 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Until, after eating nothing but cabbages for a few months, you find your character so underweight you can barely take a hit or carry a backpack loaded with loot. Or the other way around, if you began eating every single thing you found and turned into an obese whale that can barely run or climb a fence. It's all there, but you will not see it with just a couple weeks of in-game playtime. It takes a while to make a difference, but it IS there.

Nope. Bulking on cabbages is easy, you can grow hundreds and all you need is a few cabbage salads to start gaining weight. All you need to do is grow a bunch of cabbages to gain weight and then you can subsist on potatoes until you reach low weight again. You don't have to worry about fishing, foraging, cooking any nice recipe, or anything, just cabbages and potatoes that you can grow from level 0. It's mind boggling that the devs would go to all the effort to add these features in the game and then not tweak some text files and balance them so there was actually a point to them. 

Edited by wyrda78

A lot of the issues you have are coming from the fact that zombies by default constant respawn based on a weird set of conditions. My server runs with large numbers of zombies but with spawning off because this is way more realistic. Meta events can still gather together condensed amounts of them to provide danger and occasional zombies through random migration can still make it into unexpected places that are otherwise clear for large distances which make for great random jump scares. But there's a sense in which you can make places "safe". In our case we've created a concentric ring of walls in the upper class part of Muldraugh. First you board up the house, then wall off the 3rd wall of the high fences that already exist, then block 3-4 road entrances to the area to get another ring that secures a good 9 large houses in the area.

Most of our adventures outside of this have been traveling further to more interesting locations. Our long term plan is probably to try and clear one of the 2 massive shopping malls in the area which seems do-able as there's relatively few entrances for their area, and create a massive base.

My advice is set your own goals, use the interactive maps online to scope out interesting areas, of which there are many, especially in the largest city part of the map, and maybe plan to have an array of bases to work out of. I'd suggest people probably stick to zombie spawns off. And where possible play multiplayer with friends, it's way better, you can realistically recover from death with less hassle, especially if you horde training books and vhs tapes. Adventures with friends creates more unique and interesting player driven situations. Friends will die in awkward places meaning you can go and help get their stuff back and so that kind of world generates constant unique and interesting scenarios without needing pre-set goals or missions.

Where I do happen to agree is that survival is actually not the hard part of the game, growing food is fairly trivial which makes the survivalist skills more or less redundant, and even on low loot settings, canned food is abundant enough early on that almost 100% of player deaths are going to come from slip ups with zombie combat and not starving or dehydrating to death. This is especially true in multiplayer with multiple people taking care of both growing crops and cycling the rain collectors and water purfying you can have weeks or months of stock. The only real threat I see from the hunger/thirst system I can see is maybe survivng winter months where growth is limited. Even then you can take a car, drive to a new suburb you've never been to an come back with 50 tins of food on low loot settings fairly easily.

3 hours ago, Marco1 said:

I don't think the devs read and even if they do, I doubt they care about your opinion or mine (it's understandable, I'm not complaining). I am asking for myself, as a favor, to tell me, how you would fix that.

In default mode, for me solo apocalypse, I have no problems surviving (well,most of times, a misclick or stupid mistake is around the corner even for an experienced player, I suppose). I think, as the game is now, if you're not touching the zombies (as they said multiple times) you can at least make the environment a threat...But how? I have some ideas, but not really a definitive one. Going on should be harder, not easier, if that's indeed how you died. Not sure I want the death to be unavoidable at some point, like in those games with continuous waves until you can't survive.

Sure environment should be less forgiving, winter should be a problem, but how?

Maybe, for example, extending the health consequences of being too cold for too long, without exceeding in too much health management, I mean micromanagement. EDIT: However, I admit at this point I am not able to suggest/imagine anything meaningful and useful to improve that aspect of the game.

On the farming side, making it harder doesn't look like a problem, not only accounting seasons, weather, increasing tools needed, but also with a realistic growth of the various plants and the skill actually required to grow them successfully...however...is it easy to balance this with the "pace" of the game? Also, if you do this, same must go for trapping/fishing/foraging, are we sure we can still balance this too?

Well I think it's not too difficult to make the survival aspect more fleshed out. Some ideas for fixing farming: make the success of crops growing and yield dependent on your farm skill. Digging furrows should take more time and use up more endurance. Add more plant diseases and random events (frosts? heatwaves wilting plants?) that can potentially wipe out your entire crop if you don't counter them properly. Make different plants seasonal and make it a lot harder or impossible to grow in winter, so you might have to preserve produce (this could tie into the cooking skill). Farming also ties in to water: water is way too easy to get. They should reduce the water collection rate to a fraction of what it is, because in real life it takes a lot of heavy rain to fill up containers with limited surface area. If you want to collect lots of water you'd have to hook up a water tank to your roof, which would require metalworking skill. Also, did I mention how dumb it is how you don't have to cook raw vegetables, but you have to cook rainwater to make it safe? Zomboid logic. 

Nutrition could also be fleshed out a lot more. For example, if you don't eat enough protein you could get protein deficiency which severely impacts your strength, or if you eat only protein you could get rabbit poisoning. If you only eat salty canned foods or sugary confectionaries you could get a debuff because of the unhealthy diet, and if you don't eat enough vegetables of sufficient variety you could suffer vitamin deficiency. You get the idea, basically you want to make it so all of the survival skills actually have a purpose, and so once you have achieved the goal of enough calories to survive, you can work on the goal of making meals that are nutritious and benefits your character more.

Medicine is another thing. Like you say, exposure to the elements could have worse consequences. As well as having the cold, they could add the flu, which could be a lot worse and potentially fatal if you are already severely undernourished. Infections should be potentially deadly, because they are deadly in reality- you ought to have to consume antibiotics to cure an infection, and otherwise there is a chance to die depending on your bodily condition, how dry/warm and how well nourished you are, how well you treat the wound and your medicine skill, et cetera. Wounds in general should take longer to heal. The medicine skill needs to be relevant. 

Now the idea of these changes is not to make Zomboid into a hardcore survival game, but simply to make survival skills an unreliable means of gathering food until you either invest time in getting them better, or invest significant points into a survivalist based build in character creation. I think it would be nice if building a self-sufficient and defensible base was a worthwhile objective. Basically, it would extend the longevity of the midgame, until you get to the point where "I've got everything that I need". 

3 hours ago, Marco1 said:

About zombies the only alternative I can find is a series of dynamic big hordes (sometimes huge) coming from the edge of the map every now and then going somewhere, while from a logical point makes more sense, not sure about CPU capability of handling it and video card's to actually show something like that. And I am aware of the programming issues this could cause in general and at this point of development in the specific case of project zomboid. Also, would that make the game easier or harder?

I don't see any issues with this, big migratory hordes could be a cool late-game meta event.

2 hours ago, Frosty83 said:

A lot of the issues you have are coming from the fact that zombies by default constant respawn based on a weird set of conditions. My server runs with large numbers of zombies but with spawning off because this is way more realistic. Meta events can still gather together condensed amounts of them to provide danger and occasional zombies through random migration can still make it into unexpected places that are otherwise clear for large distances which make for great random jump scares. But there's a sense in which you can make places "safe". In our case we've created a concentric ring of walls in the upper class part of Muldraugh. First you board up the house, then wall off the 3rd wall of the high fences that already exist, then block 3-4 road entrances to the area to get another ring that secures a good 9 large houses in the area.

Most of our adventures outside of this have been traveling further to more interesting locations. Our long term plan is probably to try and clear one of the 2 massive shopping malls in the area which seems do-able as there's relatively few entrances for their area, and create a massive base.

My advice is set your own goals, use the interactive maps online to scope out interesting areas, of which there are many, especially in the largest city part of the map, and maybe plan to have an array of bases to work out of. I'd suggest people probably stick to zombie spawns off. And where possible play multiplayer with friends, it's way better, you can realistically recover from death with less hassle, especially if you horde training books and vhs tapes. Adventures with friends creates more unique and interesting player driven situations. Friends will die in awkward places meaning you can go and help get their stuff back and so that kind of world generates constant unique and interesting scenarios without needing pre-set goals or missions.

These are the issues I am having. I don't understand the zombie spawning behaviour at all, and it is seemingly random. I just want to make my surroundings safe because I can't stand zombies hanging about my main thoroughfares. I want to go on missions to explore and clear out interesting locations but I can't even clear out my immediate surroundings. 

2 hours ago, Frosty83 said:

Where I do happen to agree is that survival is actually not the hard part of the game, growing food is fairly trivial which makes the survivalist skills more or less redundant, and even on low loot settings, canned food is abundant enough early on that almost 100% of player deaths are going to come from slip ups with zombie combat and not starving or dehydrating to death. This is especially true in multiplayer with multiple people taking care of both growing crops and cycling the rain collectors and water purfying you can have weeks or months of stock. The only real threat I see from the hunger/thirst system I can see is maybe survivng winter months where growth is limited. Even then you can take a car, drive to a new suburb you've never been to an come back with 50 tins of food on low loot settings fairly easily.

For as much as the devs go on about making guns and ammo super rare for "balance", I don't understand why they don't reduce food spawn rates a bit. Make food in residential areas a bit more inconsistent, so if you want a big supply of food you have to raid commercial areas. Although you can't realistically reduce food spawn rates in an urban environment enough that starving is a possibility without completely breaking suspension of disbelief - I think the solution ought to be based on what I mentioned previously with nutrition: you need a variety of food types to thrive. 

Edited by wyrda78

1 hour ago, wyrda78 said:

I want to go on missions to explore and clear out interesting locations but I can't even clear out my immediate surroundings. 

I usually use higher respawn intervalls to fix this for me. I can live with zombies respawning after one or two weeks, that "makes sense" in a way. Like they would migrate from somewhere or other single survivors were bitten and died in some hideout.

Survival skills should be way more relevant for surviving - I totally agree. Also would like to see more risk in getting injured and danger of illness and necessity of first aid (not the same I know) to counter these.

9 hours ago, wyrda78 said:

The problem isn't that you can set up yourself to survive. The problem is it takes hardly any effort. All you need to do is grow some cabbages, set up some rain collectors, wall off your base, and you are set. The hardest thing would be to set up a generator and antique oven. Other than these few things that don't take much time, there is no reason to create an intricate base, to build up defences, to level your character to build better things, to find better foods, better materials to make your base stronger, etc. 

Again, you can fix all of that on the Sandbox; change erosion levels to make farming slower or plants more likely to catch diseases so their yield lowers. I personally don't even bother with farming for I've found it boring on pretty much every single game (except Stardew Valley) I've played because it's so one-note; the constant "just water the plants" with a hundred clicks.

I've yet to find a survival game where setting yourself to survive takes any effort, really. After you die a couple times and figure how the game works (or if you're lazy, look it up in a Wiki), from the smallest Indie, to the most overfunded Triple-A, there's always a way to make the whole survival thing meaningless as soon as you know what you're doing.

As for reasons to fortify your base, if all you do is know down the stairs and live on a floating castle, then yes, there's no reason. But playing like that is boring; you're literally gimping yourself to not have fun with it. Same thing as interior farming; you can just pour dirt on a house floor and plant crops in there; they WILL grow, but that's just boring. It reduces your gameplay to just "water plants every day".

PZ has always been a game about making your own fun with the tools provided; y'know, LIKE A SANDBOX, but if you refuse to use those tools, or use them to make the game's challenges meaningless, then you're simply doing it wrong, or this isn't the game for you.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, wyrda78 said:

Because it makes me feel better. What's the point in providing constructive criticism? Are devs going to read my posts and implement any of my suggestions? No. I've tried that before. If they had a tiny bit of common sense they would be aware of the issues and fixed them already.

I find a lot of update fixes and tweaks are often related to a lot of issues being discussed on the forums. 

I made a light hearted complaint like comment about the pain of resetting cruise control to 0 without having to sit and wait for it to go down all the while the vehicle is accelerating to your previously set speed. That was remedied in the last update. 

The foraging system has gone through plenty of fixes since its implementation, all of which seem to stem from constructive criticism. 

I imagine if they go changing every system someone has a complaint about, especially if it's on a future update in the roadmap, it would only slow them down in getting to the next goal, which would only likely illicit more complaints, dragging on them further.

Has it been in development for ten years? Yes. 

But it is a small crew, with quite a lofty goal. It is also an early access title that has been far from abandoned. And it's still not finished. Also, it's only a $20 title.

Come back in a year, and it'll likely have more content. Who knows, maybe some of the issues you have will be resolved to your specifications even.

Hell, maybe the devs have just cooked up a way to have a decade or two of employment in a field they love work in, with less concern for a finished product. Even if that's the case, good for them. I've definatly enjoyed my 20 bones thus far.

And when I grow bored, go blow shit up on squad, fire up baldur's gate saga playthrough, or try my hand at cities skyline again, then come back a month or two later to explore all the little goodies they've added in since then. I'll reserve judgement until the final product is released. To expect any early access title to act as a full 1.0 release is a disaster waiting to happen. I've only been at it since build 39, and I've noticed a world of improvement from when I started playing until now. And I suspect it may even build itself into the title you expect it to be right now.

Goodspeed, and Godluck.

Each his own I guess but what really bother me with this post is that it completely disregards what the devs said in their thursdoids about the endgame as well the general history and reasoning for why it is in development for so long. Yet this guy has the audicity to call the people behind PZ incompetent.

They know that there is no real endgame and thats why we will get one both with the crafting update as well as npcs. By their vision we will be able to play on the same safe for literal years (in real life) with new challenges coming up over time. There are reasons why this game took so long which I'm not going to elliborate on anymore as it has all been said a hundred times until now but after the big chunk of work that B41 was is out now the development will, according to the devs, be much faster now.

You know if you don't like the game and its not for you that okey. But at least provide some constructive feedback instead of this useless rand because you, for unknown reasons, reject to use sandbox and tweak the game. With an sandbox game like PZ there will never be 'optimal' settings that satisfy everyone and if you don't like the standard settings with respawns etc. just turn them off damn it... There's even a mod that lets you do this midgame so you don't need to start a new save.. but maybe you were just to incompetent to find out yourself right?

On 3/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, getstoopid said:

It's not that I wouldn't agree with many things he points out. It's the toxic attitude ("incompetent devs" for example) without providing any useful argument what could be made better that bothers me. I started playing the game modded to mitigate some of the problems it clearly has at this point Technoblade merch store. At the same time posting here feature requests, suggestions, bug reports and take part in discussions to point devs in the direction I'd like to see the game going and, and that's the point, being friendly and respectful about it. 

I think you are right. 

Yes,  that's the current game limit for me.   Somewhere between 3 to 6 months you'll be all set.     Hopefully a mix of NPCs, random events and tighter food aquisition can deal with that.     But that first few months with a character are a lot of fun.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, wyrda78 said:

These are the issues I am having. I don't understand the zombie spawning behaviour at all, and it is seemingly random. I just want to make my surroundings safe because I can't stand zombies hanging about my main thoroughfares. I want to go on missions to explore and clear out interesting locations but I can't even clear out my immediate surroundings. 

This is the problem, there's no real protection from zombie spawns outside of a claimed safehouse, you can fence in large areas to create rings of security but with any kind of zombie spawn enabled they will continue to spawn inside those safe zones. This is why I have zombie spawns turned off because that way as long as you secure areas with walls and doors, and then kill everything inside you can create safe zones.

I highly recommend running the sandbox mode, select whatever preset is closest to how you like to play (we picked apocylpse on my server) but then tweak the zombie spawn settings so they have 0 chance to spawn on a tile. There's still going to be an estimated 50k-70k zombies on the entire map, so plenty to kill, and they will still roam in large packs due to meta events pulling them to new areas, so there's still threats, but the unfairness of what I'd call "bad spawns" is removed.