Rad5002

Just a random thought, what about a Nail gun.

I'm not too sure on the coding, so I don't know about separate ammunition etc, as I think it's either electronic or gas-powered.

But, of course nails are highly needed (I've seen from other stories and suggestions and guides).

It could be something like this:

Nailgun.

30 nails at once.
Requires a new battery every 90 nails (Unsure if can be implemented).

Very weak.
Not very accurate at longer ranges.
Quieter, but still a small sound. 

I have a few ideas about it, but I'd rather see if this idea is okay or a flunk before posting anymore just in case.

Have you ever heard a nailgun? They're pretty darn loud (gas propelled ones, at least).

Even a staplegun is pretty loud.

Also, I think nailguns have been suggested numerous times before - both as a weapon and a tool for carpentry. Besides a direct nail through the scull, I'm not sure they would be overly effective against zombies...

Battery nailguns are weak and only shoot little tack nails. Would be better off hitting the zombie with the nailgun; would NOT be worth it as a weapon at all. 

And as for the more powerful nail guns, they're typically compressed air powered. It's incredibly noisy, takes a while to get charged, *still* is a mediocre at best weapon, has you hooked up to an air compressor, requires power...

All told, I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as using a nailgun to take down a zombie at range goes... Nope. Never had any experience with a nailgun myself, but punching through a skull to destroy the brain at long range has to be pretty much impossible.

Now, say you were using the nailgun like a melee weapon, and grappled with a zombie to put a nail through the temple... That could be useful, kinda. Probably better to save the nailgun for construction though.

Nailguns at any range other than pressed into the skull doesn't work at all. Not 'it's kinda not great,' it flat out doesn't work.

For one thing, all nailguns have safeties that require them to be pressed into a flat surface for them to even fire. Now it's possible to jury-rig them to fire anyways, but that's largely pointless. Anything other than physically touching their target and the nail isn't going to do anything. At anything less than 5 feet, even an industrial nailgun probably wouldn't even break skin.

Thank you for enlightening me, and being pretty calm about it. Lot of respect for you guys :)

I checked the suggestions and the top 3 pages before suggesting, guess I shoulda done more to stop spam.

Ah shucks, thanks for the welcome :)

it sounds cool as fuck but.. when i saw the video I was like... well shit... it could be used either way... as it has a battery for construction... making us more efficient and when in need... at least slow a zombie down in close distance. 

http://www.blockotoole.com/NY-Construction-Accidents/Nail-Gun-Accidents.shtml

accidents are common thou so we can assume even if they cant pierce through cardboard at long distance when pushed agains a surface it can pierce through it very easyly... lets say... flesh... eyes.. feet.. 

• 9 years later...