NPC's And What Happens After That

I have several things to discuss but I just want to say that I am new to the forum, and that I am sorry for already discussed topics. Now, I'm sure NPC have already been discussed, but certainly not in this scope. Now hear me out, but don't you think that NPC's should be more complex when they come out? I know that there will be a randomized event will happen every time you meet one. But will these be TRUELY be random or is it just that when you encounter ton's of NPC's you'll eventually know every single one. BUT I know a way to truely make them random.

Welcome to the forums. Believe me, NPCs have been discussed to death, and one only need use the search button to find the multitude of older threads. Also, check out the older Mondoids; they have a lot of info regarding NPCs and their target behavior. It's my understanding NPCs will blend a mixture of dynamic behavior and scripted events (ie. the Kate and Baldspot guys), but I have this habit of being wrong about stuff so don't hold me to that. ;)

Also, if you have a suggestion, do tell. Otherwise this really belongs in the general discussion thread. 

The problem with discussing NPC's in this context is that it lies on hypotheses on what will happen and we don't really know everything that will happen, how NPC's will be released, what it's like etc. You say NPC's should be more complex but how do we not know that when NPC's they aren't at the complexity you're looking for?

Hey, I am back. Now, I have read the to replies and have two things to say before I tell you guys a possibility to make randomized NPC's. To the centurion(sorry if spelled wrong) thanks for the warm welcome. As from what you said, you said a dynamic behavior and scripted behavior. I would keep that but make it different. Look, do anyone know about rim world. You don't have to know but i am just trying to make a point. RimWorld uses a player chosen A.I. To plan attacks and blights and solar flares and a ton of other stuff. This A.I. Directer is not an A.I. it is a program that uses a COMEPLETLY RANDOM. You can not expect what will happen next. I want the npc to be like this so you will not know what will happen next. You use a code scrambler. This code scrambler(you can find it online) will not only scramble the code, but make completely new ones. I think i need to finish this thread now. Bye!

I just hope we can join an NPC group that's building up like a fort or something, or else create an NPC group that follows us. Perhaps we can "mark" areas as "bases" and mark beds/sofas/sleeping objects for individual NPCs/ourself, and the NPCs will dynamically "settle in".

Or we could mark out proposed buildings (like walls or farms) and NPCs will help to build them when not engaged in other activities (like, following player on loot runs).

Sort of like Dwarf Fortress has it for the base, but then you can tell NPCs in your group to follow you and they'll behave more like typical tactical shooter squadmates.

And any NPCs under your command will also have their inventory accessible by you.

And storage areas can be marked off as "do not touch" or "store your valuables here" or "take freely as needed" in the base.

And when in "tactical squad mode", you can give commands to invidiauls to "loot nearby" or "stand guard" or set attack modes like "attack freely", "stealthy", "use firearms", "only melee", etc.

Hey, I am back. Now, I have read the to replies and have two things to say before I tell you guys a possibility to make randomized NPC's. To the centurion(sorry if spelled wrong) thanks for the warm welcome. As from what you said, you said a dynamic behavior and scripted behavior. I would keep that but make it different. Look, do anyone know about rim world. You don't have to know but i am just trying to make a point. RimWorld uses a player chosen A.I. To plan attacks and blights and solar flares and a ton of other stuff. This A.I. Directer is not an A.I. it is a program that uses a COMEPLETLY RANDOM. You can not expect what will happen next. I want the npc to be like this so you will not know what will happen next. You use a code scrambler. This code scrambler(you can find it online) will not only scramble the code, but make completely new ones. I think i need to finish this thread now. Bye!

I'm pretty sure you misunderstand what AI is; AI is anything artificial, ie. not us, that simulates some amount of intelligence. That intelligence can range from following a scripted set of instructions, or making decisions based on data given to it. But I know what you mean, and I wouldn't worry; I'm fairly sure that NPC will eventually be able to make decisions based on their surroundings that aren't 'set' as such. I think that's the random you mean; complete 'randomness' wouldn't quite work since the AI has to be able to react accordingly to their situation and surroundings.

I just hope we can join an NPC group that's building up like a fort or something, or else create an NPC group that follows us. Perhaps we can "mark" areas as "bases" and mark beds/sofas/sleeping objects for individual NPCs/ourself, and the NPCs will dynamically "settle in".

Or we could mark out proposed buildings (like walls or farms) and NPCs will help to build them when not engaged in other activities (like, following player on loot runs).

Sort of like Dwarf Fortress has it for the base, but then you can tell NPCs in your group to follow you and they'll behave more like typical tactical shooter squadmates.

And any NPCs under your command will also have their inventory accessible by you.

And storage areas can be marked off as "do not touch" or "store your valuables here" or "take freely as needed" in the base.

And when in "tactical squad mode", you can give commands to invidiauls to "loot nearby" or "stand guard" or set attack modes like "attack freely", "stealthy", "use firearms", "only melee", etc.

That was discussed somewhere... I can't remember if it was a Mondoid or not though. NPCs will be capable of creating groups, and you will be able to join/create them as well; that I know. I also saw a video some time back displaying an NPC tactically moving along walls, so I'd say it's a fair bet that you'll be able to give the AI certain behaviors. ;)