'Pan' function should rotate the character's neck to allow looking one way while walking another

Razorwings18

I don't mean to brag, but as a rotating-neck-equipped human, I can walk forward while my head is facing sideways. I can further turn my eyes to one side to look almost backward while walking forward. And I can sweep an entire ~300° with my eyes in under 1 second by quickly moving my head and eyes!

In PZ, the only way to walk one way while looking the other is to enter combat mode, which slows down the walking pace and makes turning the view cone super-slow.

Now, I use the pan function A LOT, to the point that I programmed it to one of my mouse's buttons (using autohotkey). So, first suggestion:

1. Allow PAN to be able to be linked to a mouse button

And the second suggestion is, of course...

2. ...to extend the Pan functionality to make it move the view cone (i.e., the character's head + eyes) in the direction where the mouse is pointing without having the entire body face that direction.

EDIT: Edited last line to make it less confusing (I want the pan function to move the head independently from the body).

Edited by Razorwings18

I re-read the last line and it might be confusing; I edited it to hopefully make my point clearer. I just want the character to turn its head like humans do. When you right-click to one side while walking, your entire body faces that side and you start side-stepping slowly instead of just continuing moving forward normally while looking sideways. It can take almost 3 seconds to make a 360° scan - not terrible when playing with shamblers, deadly when playing with sprinters.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now we have default.  sneak (c), and combat (holding right click or LCTRL)

Freelook seems unnecessary since combat stance does basically the same thing, you can look 360 degrees in less than a second at 0 nimble skill, adding a freelook would be additional control complexity for little real change.

Personally I would enjoy the option but I think many people already find the current controls difficult

Additionally, a wider view cone would be nice.  Humans have, on average, about 180 degrees of vision while looking directly forward.  Looking to either side with just your eyes grants an extra 30 degrees or so of vision to the side being looked at while severely limiting the vision from the opposite eye, effectively reducing the 'RL vision cone' to around 120 degrees.  In-game, even with the Eagle Eye trait, characters come nowhere close.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 12:26 AM, OprahWinfrey said:

Right now we have default.  sneak (c), and combat (holding right click or LCTRL)

Freelook seems unnecessary since combat stance does basically the same thing, you can look 360 degrees in less than a second at 0 nimble skill, adding a freelook would be additional control complexity for little real change.

Personally I would enjoy the option but I think many people already find the current controls difficult

With combat mode, it takes about two seconds to do a full 360 scan. It might be OK with shamblers, but it's life-or-death with sprinters. On top of that, if you want to look behind you while walking, getting into combat mode not only slows you down, but once you release the key your character also stops for an instant when transitioning back to normal walking. Again, with shamblers you always walk faster than the zombies, so checking your six is not essential, but with sprinters you need to be constantly looking behind you (especially when walking close to a wooded area), so slowing down every time you want to do so gets old fast.

Also, I don't see how improving a control that is already there (PAN function) increases complexity. Especially when the worst that could happen if you don't use it is you'd get the game in its current form.

Lastly... realism. Not all humans are George Clooney in a Batman suit (good one @Papa Juliet Whiskey:D)