What have you been playing?

Austin

Kerbal Space Program is an amazing space simulator, albeit amazingly complex.

It's very early Alpha, even the tutorials are not completed, yet.

I can never land on the Mun :(

Lol, i just stuck a Kethane scanner satellite in low-orbit around the Mun (Kethane mod), and landed a probe on a kethane deposit inside a crater to mark my future mining colony. 

I would definitely recommend Kerbal.

It's got quite a steep learning curve, and things do progress quite slowly, but once you get the hang of it, its very rewarding.

I once got two ships to line up in orbit and got a guy to space-walk from one ship to the other, i felt like the king of space.

There are some good tutorial videos on youtube by the ludicrously-named Scott Manley.

Well, these days I'm mostly playing board game adaptations on iOS... namely:

• Through The Desert (the app is mediocre, but it's just an amazing game, better than any videogame I've ever played... although not even the best board game)
  • Peloponnes (released like a week ago... again, the app could use some polish, but the game is brilliant and probably the most elegant auction game I've played)
  • For The Win (quick tactical tile laying game with super interesting special abilities that cause a huge amount of emergent complexity)
  • Battle For Hill 218 (only slightly less interesting than For The Win, but in the same category of pretty much pure tactics)
  • Wabash Cannonball (extremely competitive train-company auction game, be prepared for some math, it's still elegant and much more streamlined than something like Age Of Steam)
  • Kamon (abstract chip placement... can become quite a brain-burner in the end-game)

Also, there is an app of Puerto Rico (which is like the best game ever designed) for iPad, but it's a bit slow AND: There is a free version of it for PC called Tropic Euro, which plays super efficient and fast (no graphics, haha) and I play it at least once almost every day.

In terms of original digital games I'm heavily betatesting Keith Burgun's Auro, which I think will be huge when it comes out (for almost any platform btw) one of the next months.

Apart from that there's Defense Of The Oasis (iPad), which is very cool but has some pretty wild swinging randomness.

I also really enjoy 86856527, a 7-day-roguelike by Michael Brough, and am looking forward to the FULL version of this one.

For the Steam-fans: Go buy 7 Grand Steps. It has its little problems but is an actually from the ground up designed game with NEW mechanics, which is something you just don't sumble across too often in the mainstream videogame world of today.

Oh, and the coming PC release of Spelunky should bring some good fun.

Yeah, that's about it for my active gaming (been mostly reading/writing articles, watching talks or listening to podcasts on game design) of the last months. :)

Oh, I just realized how I totally forgot to add Desktop Dungeons to the above ones. One of the few innovative (i.e. actually designed) games of the last years to get some public attention at least.

Plus, if you're even just a tiny bit into deeply immersive and emergent story generators: Get King Of Dragon Pass (either on GOG or iOS).

I recommend it to, plus its awesome when u make a large space station by lunching the parts of it separately to dock in orbit. Also that game has a great modding community.

Yeah. I'm going to get it when I get the money :)

We're trying not to have too many threads pinned in this forum. I'd probably say no, but if one of the other mods wants to that's fine by me.

Edit: And the forum games that are pinned now probably won't be for long, they're most likely getting their own section.

Maybe? I'll ask, but I don't think it would get enough action to be worth a whole sub-forum. I mean, as long as people are active in this thread it will likely stay near the top of the page and can be used to discuss general gaming.

We're trying not to have too many threads pinned in this forum. I'd probably say no, but if one of the other mods wants to that's fine by me.

Edit: And the forum games that are pinned now probably won't be for long, they're most likely getting their own section.

Alright :)

To direct this thread back on topic, I've mostly been playing the Prop Hunt and Slender Fortress 2 mods for TF2, when I'm not playing TF2, which I normally am, version 2.9.008b of PZ because I inexplicably couldn't properly install the newer one, absolutely loving The Last of Us, almost disappointed by State of Decay, completed another playthrough of Telltale's The Walking Dead, occasionally playing Audiosurf, fooling around in Garry's Mod, and appropriately well-fed in Don't Starve. Oh, and a few forum games here.

Sorry if this came out as too long to read or anything.

To direct this thread back on topic, I've mostly been playing the Prop Hunt and Slender Fortress 2 mods for TF2, when I'm not playing TF2, which I normally am, version 2.9.008b of PZ because I inexplicably couldn't properly install the newer one, absolutely loving The Last of Us, almost disappointed by State of Decay, completed another playthrough of Telltale's The Walking Dead, occasionally playing Audiosurf, fooling around in Garry's Mod, and appropriately well-fed in Don't Starve. Oh, and a few forum games here.

Sorry if this came out as too long to read or anything.

Perfectly fine :)

Also, what's the longest you have survived in Don't Starve?

Been playing a few matches of A Brief History Of The World on iOS (board game adaptation). It's neat to see the "grandfather" of Small World in action. Then again, it's much more dice-heavy and much less elegant, so I'll surely stick to SW in the long run...

How is Infamous? Don't own a PS3, but my father does. So maybe I could try to play it?

I really liked it. Has kind of the same touch to it as Prototype. Only without the silly gore.

Also, can I request to the mod's that this thread gets pinned?

Yes but no.

Thinking about getting Shadowrun Returns, though I'm afraid it will just serve to fill up my backlog even more.

Eve Online is brutally challenging, a hard game to get into, and without doubt the yardstick by which emergent gameplay is measured. It allows players to do and be anything they want to be. You can be a ruthless pirate, an honor bound mercenary, a market playing billionaire, or a quiet miner. Or, if you don't like any of those, you can come up with anything else you want to be- as long as it fills a niche, you can do it. There are no rules in Eve Online. For a pretty quick rundown on the game I recommend this video by the same Manley fellow that did the aforementioned Kerbal Space Program video. It's a good, succinct intro.

If you want to play I can get you a 21 day free trial, but be warned it is a brutally hard game. If your ship is blown up it's gone forever.

Eve Online is brutally challenging, a hard game to get into, and without doubt the yardstick by which emergent gameplay is measured. It allows players to do and be anything they want to be. You can be a ruthless pirate, an honor bound mercenary, a market playing billionaire, or a quiet miner. Or, if you don't like any of those, you can come up with anything else you want to be- as long as it fills a niche, you can do it. There are no rules in Eve Online. For a pretty quick rundown on the game I recommend this video by the same Manley fellow that did the aforementioned Kerbal Space Program video. It's a good, succinct intro.

If you want to play I can get you a 21 day free trial, but be warned it is a brutally hard game. If your ship is blown up it's gone forever.

Sounds harsh.

Sounds harsh.

It is, very. But on the flip side, it makes those successes you do have so much more sweet than any other game I've played. That feeling of stepping up into the next size and class of ship is absolutely unmatched.

[EVE Online stuff]

I've been considering getting into that. Reminds me of Elite. Have you seen Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous? They are upcoming space sims, but look more FPS-y than EVE's MMO-yness.

Been getting back into Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft too. I play DF as a citybuilder without any of the murdermachines and elf racism everyone else seems to be so fond of, and Minecraft satisfies my exploring urges.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! Kill the worthless tree hu- .... hippes.

Anyways, love DF, but haven't played in a few months. Reading Toady's progress blog has made me super eager to play a newer version, so I haven't played much. Same thing is kinda happening with Project Zomboid. Haven't played much due to waiting for NPC's.

And back on topic, Angband!

Dungeons of Dredmor has recently become one of my Favorite Games of All Time.