What have you been playing?

Austin

Painkiller is done an dusted.. 5hours overall today..lol

Now what to play this evening? Hmmmm

A little bit of Rome 2 mixed with some War of the Roses methinks..

No wonder i was so happy for my missus to visit her sister this weekend ;)

Gah, I hate you :evil: ! I really want to have a hoon at Rome 2, but alas, I have an ultrabook.

Gah, I hate you :evil: ! I really want to have a hoon at Rome 2, but alas, I have an ultrabook.

No, really, you don't. Rome II is nothing like it was touted to be. It could be something if they actually fixed the technical issues (AI incapable of getting anywhere in sieges, for instance), but for now it's quite possibly the worst TW yet. Which pains me to say. :(

And suddenly there is one.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GREY

No wonder i was so happy for my missus to visit her sister this weekend  ;)

Gah, I hate you  :evil: ! I really want to have a hoon at Rome 2, but alas, I have an ultrabook.

No, really, you don't. Rome II is nothing like it was touted to be. It could be something if they actually fixed the technical issues (AI incapable of getting anywhere in sieges, for instance), but for now it's quite possibly the worst TW yet. Which pains me to say.  :(

No no no no no no no no don't you ruin it for me oh God now all my hype has leaked out ah jesus christ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

And suddenly there is one.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GREY

No, really, you don't. Rome II is nothing like it was touted to be. It could be something if they actually fixed the technical issues (AI incapable of getting anywhere in sieges, for instance), but for now it's quite possibly the worst TW yet. Which pains me to say.  :(

No no no no no no no no don't you ruin it for me oh God now all my hype has leaked out ah jesus christ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

Better to find out now before you actually buy it get crushed AND lose your money.

No, really, you don't. Rome II is nothing like it was touted to be. It could be something if they actually fixed the technical issues (AI incapable of getting anywhere in sieges, for instance), but for now it's quite possibly the worst TW yet. Which pains me to say. :(

All dependant on which of the Total War series you liked the most i suppose..

I personally didnt like Shogun 2 or the way the past couple of titles were going with a more Civ/Total War style of game, 

& its all well and good us all wearing the rose tinted spectacles when looking at the classic Rome but on closer inspection you realise its quite a shallow game in itself with nothing more than setting taxes, constructing the same buildings everywhere & fighting..

Rome 2 is more an amalgamation of the old & new meeting somewhere in the middle, it has a little of everything & some truely beautiful battles.

Im not going to argue the AI does suck the big one sometimes but remember Empire on release.. omg your troops running up and down ladders during sieges all the time, it was atrocious. The campaign AI in all TW games has hardly ever been challenging apart from on the very highest settings & the battles rarely ever unless versus human opposition so i think the AI judgement should be slammed on CA as a whole tbh.

True it did have an incredibly shoddy release & thats inexcusable considering the hype that went into it but after the 5th patch now its shaping up nicely for a lot of people & deserves a look.

Saying that i'll stick to topic and im off to play some Rome 2 :P

Also been playing bit of Arma 3. Despite the teething issues it's a very pleasant upgrade form Arma 2 engine-wise, with much smoother animations, the very neat stance system, and controls and weapon handling that no longer feel like a 3D game from the early 90s.

To be honest, I think the Total War series is at an end. The glory days of Rome Total War is over, and a new era of shoddy games by Creative is nearing its peak.

Eh, I still play original Rome sometimes, and I think you may be seeing it with the above mentioned rose-tinted glasses. Empire was a bloated mess, Shogun 2 was a reaction against that but ended up too shallow and too small in scale. I was just hoping Rome 2 would have the vastness of Medieval 2 or Rome 1, mixed with the more chess-playing-based strategy of Shogun. Even Rome had a few too many troops types for my taste; I always just ended up spamming Praetorians and roflstomping everyone, maybe throwing in some cav and a few archer units every so often, or amassing so much wealth I could just bribe away any invading army.

However, Shogun 2 just ended up too simple in terms of city customization. They went the right way with adding in levels for strategic units and generals, but I can't even remember the city building except for spamming farms asap.

To be honest, I think the Total War series is at an end. The glory days of Rome Total War is over, and a new era of shoddy games by Creative is nearing its peak.

Eh, I still play original Rome sometimes, and I think you may be seeing it with the above mentioned rose-tinted glasses. Empire was a bloated mess, Shogun 2 was a reaction against that but ended up too shallow and too small in scale. I was just hoping Rome 2 would have the vastness of Medieval 2 or Rome 1, mixed with the more chess-playing-based strategy of Shogun. Even Rome had a few too many troops types for my taste; I always just ended up spamming Praetorians and roflstomping everyone, maybe throwing in some cav and a few archer units every so often, or amassing so much wealth I could just bribe away any invading army.

However, Shogun 2 just ended up too simple in terms of city customization. They went the right way with adding in levels for strategic units and generals, but I can't even remember the city building except for spamming farms asap.

Well, that's essentially my point. You said it yourself, Empire was a total mess, Shogun 2 again lacked the compelling gameplay that made Rome great and Rome 2 is a disaster...

I think you've mis-read my meaning. As I said, the glory days of Rome Total War is over, as in, the quality that made that game great is no longer being produced by Creative Assembly. Sure, Rome Total War is still a great game, aged as it is, but still a good game. But there hasn't been a good Total War game of the same caliber that was Rome.

Also been playing bit of Arma 3. Despite the teething issues it's a very pleasant upgrade form Arma 2 engine-wise, with much smoother animations, the very neat stance system, and controls and weapon handling that no longer feel like a 3D game from the early 90s.

I'm a fairly big ArmA nut. I mean I was obsessed with OFP in my day, the original one, not the sham that Codemasters came out with. All I can say about ArmA 3 is that it will take a year or more for me to become interested. Right now its a shallow experience, and not an enjoyable one. My whole clan who plays ArmA 2 religiously have essentially shunned ArmA 3 until its ready. That's pretty much the norm with the series.

But Rome still has issues, and I don't think it's by far the "best one" at all. If anything, I think Medieval 2 outstripped it, but even then not by much,

Medieval 2 was good, although I personally find Rome has eclipsed it. Other than the AI issues that are constant throughout the series, what others remain in Rome?