Game does not launch on the Steam Deck

Sowi

I was excited to play Project Zomboid on my new Steamdeck but sadly it won't launch at all. The alternative launcher opens in an command window and after pressing a button it closes the game again. 

Valve listed the game as not supported as well but the game has native Linux support and the latest patch said something about the Steam Deck so I'm wondering what the issue is?

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I can hear the gamemusic in the background but I can only see this screen.

Edit: The alternate Launch works in Desktop mode so it looks like it starts 2 windows but the steam deck is not able to chose the right window with the game.

Edited by Sowi

1 hour ago, Sowi said:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I can hear the gamemusic in the background but I can only see this screen.

Edit: The alternate Launch works in Desktop mode so it looks like it starts 2 windows but the steam deck is not able to chose the right window with the game.

unfortunately it appears that the behaviour on the release versions that run through proton our game seems to have issues with, and works differently to the dev kit we've been adding steam deck compatibility on which chooses native linux and seems to work fine out the box. We're looking into it but Valve's being quite slow presumably with a backlog so its quite hard to get a back and forth on what's different we need to account for.

Go into the Compatibility settings for Project Zomboid and check the 'Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool' checkbox.  In the combobox that appears below, choose "Steam Linux Runtime" to use the native Linux version of the game.

16 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

Go into the Compatibility settings for Project Zomboid and check the 'Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool' checkbox.  In the combobox that appears below, choose "Steam Linux Runtime" to use the native Linux version of the game.

Oh wow that really fixed it, thank you! So it tries to run the game through proton instead of the native linux version which caused the issue.

Btw removing the 60 fps cap in the game settings and activating VSync made the game run a lot smoother wituout any hiccups.