chatting in multiplayer [when it comes out]

ac30fspad35

To get back on topic: In real life the rope and can (or cup) works. To get into that idea in more detail, i see a problem in how it could be implemented. The more realistic side means that the rope will also be a tripwire (because it needs tension to work). Zombies will collide with it -> tripping zombies and/or a chance of breaking the rope.

In a more unrealistic/fun way, the rope will be nothing more then a sprite without the collision. It still functions, but you can walk trough the rope without any effects.

Above is my 2 cents, there are lot of different views and idea's. How do you guys (and/or girls) see it?

Simple hand-held radios/ CB's would be a great idea for communications around a small or medium distance. For long distance or between towns a larger fixed HAM radio with antenna. Maybe the larger radio could also act as a repeater that would boost whatever frequency its set too. That way one channel could be long range even on the hand-helds.

I think different frequencies are a must. That way you must meet up with someone and give them your freq. instead of just randomly finding people over the air.

Sorry to take a left into crazy town (that's where I live by the way) but if you have generators and battery chargers it's not unrealistic to have a mobile phone and some pretty handy phone apps with you too.

I've often thought, if I had any kind of warning of a coming apocalypse then which apps would I install and I'd certainly by a portable solar charging kit.

Things like a compass and an array of useful pdf/ebooks to keep me sane and to help me learn new skills.

I don't expect this to be done, I guess I'm saying it's possible and not entirely unrealistic although it would be fair to suggest any such warning of a coming zombie horde would not exist.

I didn't so much mean the phone would be used as a phone.

It's like, I don't really use my phone as a phone, I use it as a portable PC. I was referring to the many other things you can do with it, regardless of network connectivity. I agree though, the phone would not be able to make calls at all.

Simple hand-held radios/ CB's would be a great idea for communications around a small or medium distance. For long distance or between towns a larger fixed HAM radio with antenna. Maybe the larger radio could also act as a repeater that would boost whatever frequency its set too. That way one channel could be long range even on the hand-helds.

I think different frequencies are a must. That way you must meet up with someone and give them your freq. instead of just randomly finding people over the air.

This would be so fantastic. Imagine playing on a PvP server, and one member of your team spends a good portion of his days searching through different frequencies to find other survivors. If he DOES, you can listen in and maybe find out where their safe house is, or where they are headed. Vice versa, something happens that leads you to believe others have found YOUR teams frequency, you can either relay false bits of information to mislead them, or switch frequencies (even on a regular basis, like every 3 hours adjust frequency by X increment. Or you could even come up with a code so that anyone listening in won't know what the hell you're talking about.

Oh the possibilities.

Bulky military walkie talkies (60s-70s era surplus :P), HAM radios, shortwave, longwave, handcranked telephone and telegraph... If we look to the past for our long range communication options, we're looking at some very, very interesting gameplay.

I've been playing State of Decay of late. Good game, but the survival aspects aren't as good as PZ, and I kept finding myself trying to loose zombies by taking a blind corner.. Anyway. In game, you have an NPC manning the radioroom in your safezone at all times. The back and forth communication (I'm almost home, I've got a horde on my tail, etc) added to the immersion greatly. Also worked well as a source of missions/quests to be handed out, and a way to organise trade with nearby survivor enclaves.

If we could set up a 'Radio Room' in Project Zomboid, whether manned by a player or NPC, I can only see it adding to the game positively. Scrounging for the equipment in the first place, finding someone trained, or reading books to gain the skills to operate the equipment. Upgrading the range by getting better electronics and erecting antennae or relays. All wonderful bits of atmospheric gameplay. Especially when the little voice on the other end of the radio serves as your only source of contact when out and about. A small point of light in an otherwise dead and rotten world.

Finally, I made a post in a mapping topic some time ago: Collecting old maps, tourist brochures, leaflets and the like, cutting arranging and gluing them to a large table. You suddenly have the 'big board' any reasonably sized group of survivors needs. A way to mark out supply caches, locations of known hordes, other survivors, and so on. Couple the big board with a HAM radio setup scattered over a few nearby tables in the same room, and you've got a command centre that would be worth its weight in gold. Information, knowledge and intelligence. They're the best weapons in a survivor's arsenal.

Apolo, I remember reading that thread and loving the idea. I thought it would be cool to have to manually put it together too. Like a window pops up (similar to health, skill windows) with the pieces of map you've collected from different regions, and you have to really arrange them by your own intellect and knowledge of the area. At the same time this would allow you to write on and mark the map however you see fit. Just an idea.

The back and forth communication (I'm almost home, I've got a horde on my tail, etc) added to the immersion greatly. 

I personally found this rather irritating after a while due to the fact they would haveten repeat the same lines over and over and drove me bonkers. I do like the idea of a radio room though.

What about birds? Humans have been using messenger birds for centuries before radio communications. You just have one mate on your side, and your friend has the other mate on his side, the bird will fly to its mate, bringing with it a message. To keep it within game context, the bird would then fly back to the owner so he/she may deliver another message. Each message requiring a piece of paper and the birds hunger lowers by a bit

In a house? the bird drops the letter outside the house and leaves, other survivors will be able to see the little white thing flying by, giving them the hint that someone is probably near. Obviously this wouldn't take the place of the radio, but it would be something early game that could be done and would allow the radio to be a late game item

birds birds........ :-|  :-|  :-|

KILL THEM THEIR EVIL. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

jk :evil:  but seriously wouldn't animals be infected to. (tophat)

If animals are infected then what stops plants, water, and soil to be contaminated by this virus? Logically it either effects a species or it effects all carbon objects

birds birds........ :-|  :-|  :-|

KILL THEM THEIR EVIL. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

jk :evil:  but seriously wouldn't animals be infected to. (tophat)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Taken from the No list.

[n]    Zombie Beasts or Infected Animals

I think the biggest problem you would find with birds, is capturing/training them to be effective messengers. I mean even though they were used in WWII they still had quite the failure rate as a way of delivering messages.