chatting in multiplayer [when it comes out]

ac30fspad35

walkie talkies could be a bad idea, strictly because it could give away your location. imagine your sneaking past a horde when suddenly your friend on the other end starts talking on the walkie talkie. or he just bumps the send key and you get that lovely static feedback sound

if the power goes down, why would the cell phones still be working so you can text?

Hate to be a party pooper, but lets not over complicate it. I mean if you want realism, what type of energy source do these things need? Batteries? Any kind of batteries or specific cell phone batteries? So this means you'll have to continuously find batteries for them to work. No one's creating new batteries come a zombie apocalypse. I'd say close proximity chat when they are near, and if they're not then just the regular text box

walkie talkies could be a bad idea, strictly because it could give away your location. imagine your sneaking past a horde when suddenly your friend on the other end starts talking on the walkie talkie. or he just bumps the send key and you get that lovely static feedback sound

if the power goes down, why would the cell phones still be working so you can text?

Hate to be a party pooper, but lets not over complicate it. I mean if you want realism, what type of energy source do these things need? Batteries? Any kind of batteries or specific cell phone batteries? So this means you'll have to continuously find batteries for them to work. No one's creating new batteries come a zombie apocalypse. I'd say close proximity chat when they are near, and if they're not then just the regular text box

what you guys say is true there would be no power. but there will be alternate ways to charge batteries in the upcoming updates. (fedora)

true, they will be bringing in a way to charge batteries.

so walkie talkies remain a possibility, but turning it off defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. what good will it do you or your buddy to try and relay a message that there is something nasty coming your way or his way if you have it turned off?

gonna send up smoke signals instead?

well...couldn't you have a notifier on the hud screen that would light up when a call is coming. :geek:\

my 50th post yay  :mrgreen: 

actually, that would be a way around the issue. but we have to wait and se if this is a mod for the future, or an addition to the game.

yeah, what he said while i was typing^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yea, I was thinking about this while I watched the MP videos. Having Skype makes it a little too convenient communicating with each other. Having an in-game communication method with a unique gameplay mechanic like needing batteries, and worrying about whether it was going to alert zombies near you would be a really cool idea. Glad these amazing devs know what they're doing.  :)

Although I'm likely to be playing on teamspeak with my friends when multiplayer comes out, having proximity text and voice chat similar to Day-Z could work well. Local communication, global communication and 'in-game' global communication. the last option being mobile phones before the power goes out (Text messages yay! Just assume the phone's on soft vibrate to avoid pulling hordes, and you have to be standing still to type and send a message), and walkie-talkies after. The use of long-range comms of anykind should probably be restricted by gameplay limitations, like actually holding the phone/radio, the need to charge up/replace the batteries every now and then, and the (nasty) chance of pulling a horde if you get a burst of static of feedback squeal.

Having the ability to filter the 'in-game global chat' based on the frequency/channel you set would allow factions to do their own thing, plan ambushes, and so forth. Limited scrollback ability in text chat (number of messages, not absolute length of text) could stand in for the player character's memory limitations, and so forth.

Hell, if eventually you get the ability to lay down/hang up telephone wire to communicate between survivor (NPC and player) enclaves over long distance, you'd get some nice emergent gameplay. Scrounge for parts, lay the wire, fix the wire, investigate if the phone works but there's no answer... Plus, the problem of balancing long-range communications is fixed nicely. It only works between fixed points.

Hell, an NPC manning the telegraph and pinning scribbled messages up on a board nearby would allow players to communicate over long distance, but not in real time. That could be -quite- interesting indeed.

Maybe a less serious option, but between houses i would go for the old school combination of a tin can with a rope. Rope is allready in the game as is canned food (allthough not an empty state as far as i know. never got to the point where i needed it).

Does this actually work? I only ever see it in like TV and cartoons but never tried it, is this for real?

To be honost, i realy have no idea. I can't even remember if i did it i my childhood. Like you, i seen it on TV too. Looking at it at a scientific way, there is a tad of truth in it. Can funnels soundwaves which makes the rope vibrate and will cause soundwaves at the other end. Still can't beat the modern day fiberglass way.

it might work if you used hollow tubing but a string would only transmit a small vibration at the most, definitely not an audible noise from the distance of 2 houses.

and i personally think that chat limited to distance and the use of walkie talkie is an awesome idea, might give your position away but that means you have to be smart about wehn to use it. Do you call friends for help and risk letting the zombies hear you, or do you turn the walkie off and try make it out alone?

it might work if you used hollow tubing but a string would only transmit a small vibration at the most, definitely not an audible noise from the distance of 2 houses.

and i personally think that chat limited to distance and the use of walkie talkie is an awesome idea, might give your position away but that means you have to be smart about wehn to use it. Do you call friends for help and risk letting the zombies hear you, or do you turn the walkie off and try make it out alone?

well like i said. you could have a notifier that blinks when someones calling you. :P