Bathing

Marinus

I know hygiene is a bit of a no no, but it would be great to be able to take baths, not in the last place for role playing purposes. Talking baths wouldn't be necessary, so no chore like The Sims style bathing every time the meter runs out. However bathing would give you some sort of health and morale boost that lasts for a couple of days, so it would be worth your while if you got the time for it. 

Before water/electricity shuts down, one could simply take a shower or a bath. After utilities cease to function however, it would be much more of a hassle, involving cooking pots with water over a fire. It would be a good and useful way to kill time in those hours between looting and waiting for bed time. And also important it would be realistic.

I looked a bit into this, and it really depends specifically how you suggest hygiene, as it can get too micro-manage'y if done improperly. A simple positive moodlet for showering would be interesting, but is shaky when you hit the whole "realism" thing, as there's the counterargument of if there's a clean, why is there no dirty? Then at this point the devs felt it too micro-manage'y (by all means feel free to correct me on this one guys, I just got this info off an old topic). So bathing and hygiene are very iffy, but that's not to say they'll never be implemented. It is possible that this could be put in as a mod first to see how well it can be balanced.

@Plasmaman. I imagine "dirty" is the default after the apocalypse. The way I imagine it you could play the game without taking a single bath and it won't really hurt you in any way, however if you do take a bath it gives you a temporary bonus. Maybe you could implement a "clean" trait along with it. "Clean" people get a bigger bonus from bathing but also get a penalty when they didn't bath for a number of days. That way more realistic bathing would be sort of optional.

Well I want all hygiene to be implemented. Why don't we have to go to the bathroom at least once a day?

not so sure i want to know what that Moodle would look like, but i think we could do without worrying about whether or not we can fight this group of zombies without "shart"ing ourselves

Well I want all hygiene to be implemented. Why don't we have to go to the bathroom at least once a day?

not so sure i want to know what that Moodle would look like, but i think we could do without worrying about whether or not we can fight this group of zombies without "shart"ing ourselves

are you kidding, that would be an amazing thing to have to worry about.

Eh.

Oh so much no.

The OP's idea, I could see working to some extent, It would cause you to heal a bit faster or something, nothing major, since  realistically cleaning wounds would reduce infection and such.

We don't need to have dirty added if we add clean, Not really. The dirty trait would just be the normal, since we would have a normal healing rate anyway if we didn't wash.

For the sims lovers wanting to go to the bathroom.. Seriously? Just no.

Can't even imagine the nightmare thats going to cause.

Just make showering/bathing a nice little bonus to your character, as opposed to a necessity. Having a nice warm bath, cold shower, or even head-dunk in a rainbarrel give you a 'refreshed' moodle (of differing intensity of course. MacGyvering a heated bathing system for you character should be rewarding after all :P).

The 'refreshed' moodle should increase happiness and reduce tiredness/boredness by a little bit. It gradually wears off over time, but wears off faster when sprinting around, and dramatically faster if you start splattering zombies left and right. This would finally give a use to all the toothpaste and toothbrushes we find lying around too. Hell, sleeping in a large, clean bed could give you it, whereas sleeping in a folding chair wouldn't.

The 'refreshed' moodle should increase happiness and reduce tiredness/boredness by a little bit. It gradually wears off over time, but wears off faster when sprinting around, and dramatically faster if you start splattering zombies left and right. This would finally give a use to all the toothpaste and toothbrushes we find lying around too. Hell, sleeping in a large, clean bed could give you it, whereas sleeping in a folding chair wouldn't.

I like this. Other than bathing there could be scores of optional "bonuses" one could acquire to lift one's shitty post-apo existence to a higher plane. Maybe even some sort of opposite to development of mental illnesses if you provide your little guy/gal with some semblance of the days gone by, by regular baths, hearty meals and entertainment.

I think higene is important because the following reasons...

1- survival in some extent will become less of a worry... but cleaning will... we make contact with rotten bodies..

so think about lots of mices and infections and such... so cleaning yourself is important... and in zombie literature has an important role considering even the way you destroy a body and others. 

2- illnesses in a world without medical attention and medicine access in an easy way.... will requiere to watch how you clean yourself to preven infections

3- it wil add a new role to the group of actions and how we interact with the enviroment making it more immersive

4- more realistic in a context and another reason to keep constant access to water.

how it should be implemented? 

make it optional, but requiered in the long term... I mean you can pass a week without taking a shower or a bucket of water, but cleaning yourself (washing your hands, trying to brush your teeth and other implied things) will increase your life quality.

for instance there should not be something as specific as wash hands ... but can be more generic like wash yourself or clean self

it implies the other things and in less than 1 minute you are set to go... not doing so can increase chance of been sick... having an infection or heal slowly. 

so... this should work in the following way... 

clean self has some variants.. or lets say tiers and different ones will have a better effect on your condition

using a bottle of water or a limited water source like a bucket or a bowl of water will be tier 1

small bonus and will prevent infections

from this point there is a difference

using cold water and hot water

using a sink will have a lower stat boost and prevent some infections

but hot water will have a 20% plus over the previous one

the same thing for a shower, a cold shower will have a good effect

but a hot one will be the best forcing you to have access to hot water to increase your overall life quality.

happiness and prevent illnesess.

thus... is not a so complex system as we know what is better and wont make us run towars the closest bathroom but instead will make us keep in mind how to boost our stats.

and once the power goes out...... and the water is turned off... then how do you plan to take a shower?..... generator may be strong enough to power an electric water heater..... but i wouldn't count on it....... even if it could, you planning to make up an old fashioned Water Closet shower, like they had way back when?....... you willing to risk that much water for a shower that could have been used to keep your food growing? priorities.

.....      ...             .............            .....             ...........   ...            ...  ...  .. .. . . . . . . . . . .........     . .. ....

and once the power goes out...... and the water is turned off... then how do you plan to take a shower?..... generator may be strong enough to power an electric water heater..... but i wouldn't count on it....... even if it could, you planning to make up an old fashioned Water Closet shower, like they had way back when?....... you willing to risk that much water for a shower that could have been used to keep your food growing? priorities.

.....      ...             .............            .....             ...........   ...            ...  ...  .. .. . . . . . . . . . .........     . .. ....

That's a very good point.

Although I don't see why we couldn't just go and take a dump in the woods.

While there are (rather elaborate) ways to improvise a shower, people would most probably opt for a bath. baths have the nice advantage that you can use the bathwater for something else, say, watering your crops. Not that crops would need a lot of watering, as rain usually provides enough water. Not that it would be much of a problem to collect huge amounts of water in Kentucky.

I don't want to be a party pooper or a conversation killer, but in the thread of Commonly Suggested Suggestions (top of the suggestions forum) the idea of hygiëne is a no. Been reading that today and it did give me the feeling that it is rather pointless to keep discussing things from the "no"list. Maybe it is better to continue this as a mod suggestion or something (for the ones who realy would see it in the game in some form)

Can be wrong though about that "no" list and all. Just thought it would be worth to mention.

I don't know how long you've been following the development of this game, but one of the Great No's of the Olden Days was what we now know as Sandbox Mode. So the No list isn't exactly set in stone. The fact that none of our leaders stepped in to say we can forget about it, is also an indication of this. Other than that what I'm suggesting is only remotely linked to the The Sims style hygiene system the devs don't want.