Meal Ready To Eat (MRE) / Military Airdrops

magnum2016

I suggest the mods adding the MRE to the game, they would be a non-perishable food and would give a very large hunger boost. 

Pros:

1: Give very large hunger boost enough to keep you fed for awhile.

2: Are listed to last up to five years but can still be eaten even after 10 years as long as they are sealed.

3: Very lightweight compared to other foods that give the same hunger.

Cons:

1: Very rarely found inside of houses and common inside of Police Station.

WHY THIS SHOULD BE IN THE GAME?

Because they would be used as "Get out of dodge" food supplies, even though they are very rare if you have to leave your safehouse due to dangers they would feed you long enough to get to a new safehouse.

Military Airdrops:

When NPC's are added to the game airdrops should be implemented you would find out about a airdrop by radios and they would contain food (MRE's), Water, ammo and possibly weapons. The point of this would be to force survivors out of there bases for the valuable supplies sadly it would attract a horde of infected and also attract other survivors. 

actually had a similar idea to this but to expand on it a little? I was thinking maybe there should be small military groups/research teams in the game? these would be very well equiped and highly skilled soldiers that only operate within a very small specific and fortified area while in and around that area are where you ideas come in they would when spawn come with MRE's and a good stock of equipment but airdrops would regularly drop in supplies in an area around the soldiers faction bases and you could, possibly, reach the supplies before the soldiers and the drops would contain weapon parts as opposed to whole new weapons for maintenance and MRE's to feed the soldiers.

to add more detail I'd say that the soldiers would be always hostile, ordered to kill anyone they see since they're trying to cover up the incident anyways? and maybe you could find some story elements in their base maybe news on whats going on outside obviously all this would be up to the developers XD
I do like your idea!

I'm trying to work out a way to make this into a mod. It's going to be difficult (a-lot of items/recipes just to make one MRE work) and fun to make it actually work like an MRE. I'll post back in a few days after I get it working.

Fortunately, I served in the US Army a decade ago and ate numerous MREs, :P, making the vegetarian one is going to be fun, if you don't know, the vegetarian MRE,,,, it's just gross... at least it was a decade ago, but I doubt it has changed.

I like the MRE idea, I assume it's going to be added when military outposts / checkpoints are introduced on the (new) map. These will likely be high risk, high reward loot points with valuable items like this.

As for the air drops: I think the devs have hinted that in the setting of the game things have already gone very wrong and the armed forces (if still functional) are more interested in containment / self-preservation (i.e. bombing infested areas) than ad hoc search and rescue or humanitarian aid. Airdrops would be a massive drain on military resources with dubious benefits.

That being said, I agree that it would make the game more interesting and add a neat random source of supplies. How would you located the drops though? Unless the camera moves to show you the drop site (which would be unrealistic and immersion-breaking), you would be unlikely to find a crate that isn't dropped near where you are, unless you chance upon it. And that would just make it a random box in an outdoor location. Not bad, but less interesting.

I think it's likely to be made into a mod though (just like the bombings in the earlier builds).

(Btw I disapprove of the large, "shouty" font, even though it makes reading the text easier at high resolution.)

... this is all assuming that the military actually still exists within the game world. I think they'd be more interested in bombing areas such as yours, rather than take the chance that you're infected.

I still hope the military never has 'direct' influence in the game world, since it really doesn't help the 'you're going to die soon' aspect of the game. I think the added mystery of not knowing exactly what exists outside the game is quite fun, learning said mystery would just make it another zombie story.