"Become a zombie" mode for future multiplayer.

LeoIvanov

Copy-pasting from recent mondoid post from advice by kirrus :3

I don't want to annoy anyone or anything, but...

I sincerely want a zombie mode, where you can play as a random zombie, gather hordes by creating noises (thumping on window etc) and search for survivors in multiplayer. Someone could say it would not be fun, for me, it will be HELL OF A LOT OF FUN! I like playing as a monster/zombie in many games that offer that, sometimes even more than survivors (Contagion, L4D2, Natural Selection 2, list goes on).

OR play as your own corpse, if you end up dying from infection.

Please, Indiestone? :3

Well, basically, everyone wants to be able to play as a zombie in a zombie game... Well, not everyone, but if you can do that in a zombie game, it makes it infinitely more awesome, atleast for me... Uhm, anyone? Just the mere thought that you can play a role of the hunter instead of the hunted, and have the ability to gather hordes around you makes it much more compelling in an online multiplayer challenge. Imagine having a good compound, and suddenly there are three zombie players each with their own horde of zombies gather up an attack on the safehouse.

It doesn't even have to go as far as "gathering hordes". You can just be a mere zombie where "Shift" works as "lunge" (when a zombie is very close to you and lunges it's arms at you). It might take you a while to actually kill someone, but just stalking them as they loot the house or creating ambushes in those "corners you forget to look at" makes it a much more interesting experience. You don't have to go through the "zombie" stage, it's mainly for those who WANT it. Just make it throw you into "spectator mode" once you die, and have a "become a random zombie" button beside the "respawn" and "quit" buttons.

What do you guys think?

I'm not against this if it would be in the sandbox mode and only a selected option that is visible in multiplayer servers when you join, but I don't personnally like being creeped by a smart zombie and I have no specific desire of being one. I like my zombies slow and stupid. If it's not that, it's not a real zombie and it sort of breaks my immersion.

It might be a fun thing to try out a couple of times though, but I don't see how it would be fun in the long run dying multiple times as a shambling zombie trying to catch one running player... It's more of a minigame. Nothing bad in that.

Having the abilty to have a 'deathcam' or some such option could be interesting and nifty, if done right, though probably not as part of the game itself. Something similar to the dynamic maps some minecraft servers host. A web based thing showing map showing dots.

In short, a way of plotting the location of player deaths, then following the zombie the player once was around, taking some automated screenshots if something cool happened, like the ex-player about to eat a survivor, or travelling in a large, moving horde.

Yes, zombies don't exist off-screen as they're streamed into data, but you'd only want a rough idea of where they were anyway. Once streamed in, the location of the ex-player becomes more accurate as it's now an entity roaming about.

I dunno. Although it would undermine the server if it was a roleplaying PVP affair, it would be quite interesting to see how the gameworld shifts and unfolds as the players enjoy themselves. See the horde density heatmaps rolling across the landscape, the blinking icons of burning houses, and the ever-increasing number of dead players building up near the warehouses and supermarkets. Be a way to watch the unfolding story, as it were.